1783 8 REALE PILLAR DOLLAR FROM THE EL CAZADOR SHIPWRECK!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! Going to college full time can be a drag! Knowing that I will have an Associates degree in criminal justice at the end of August is not a drag. Now, if I can land me a job....and now would be nice. Grant money doesn't go far when you have three teenagers who like to eat, eat, eat along with every month type bills and unforeseen expenses. Maybe that's why I can't go on long out of state trips to metal detect. The thing is, if I run into a deal on something that is dirt cheap and is worth a lot more I will take action! I'm talking about less than a $100, but worth considerably more. Not buying to make a profit, but like an investment. Silver falls into that category since it is HIGHLY under appreciated.....still under $20 an ounce. So, I called this coin dealer that was within 30 miles of me and asked if he had any pillar dollars. He said he had one which was dated 1787 and in pretty good shape. The price.....$50. So, I had to take the chance. I got there and found the coin to have a date of.....1783! If it is real, it had a great chance of coming off the El Cazador shipwreck. That IS the magical date for those coins. It sank in 1784 going from the Mexico mint to New Orleans, but sank in the gulf. I took it to a gentlemen that knows a lot about those coins and he immediately called it out when he saw it. He had some from that same wreck, but they were in terrible shape.....$150 each. He quoted me $400 without hesitation. He could tell it had been in the ocean by the slight grainy look upon it. Don't know about you, but if you go to a COIN DEALER and get a deal like that, then that is almost as good as spending $50 for gas, food, bug spray, and wear and tear on your vehicle and spending all day detecting. Would have been way cooler to find it in the ground, but I consider it a great find all day, everyday, and twice on Sunday! Enjoy the pics! HH hunting!

.....and just so you folks know, going back to the 1812 site soon! Timing is everything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Upvote 10

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score WWB.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wild Wild Bill seems you found a ship wreck spill, nice find,vanzutphen