🥇 BANNER Rare 1600s Latten Spoons, Georgian Shoe Buckle, 1797 LC, My Best Relics Ever

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a crazy day. I've been making plans to get to an incredibly early site for months now. But it's a very tough place to get to and several factors have to be considered including tides, wind, boat size, and peoples schedules. Today everything lined up with the exception of the wind. It was blowing pretty darned hard but I had my mind made up. The big problem is that you need a fairly small boat to get to this location but you've got to go across mikes of open ocean....very nasty and unpredictable ocean. Small boat and open ocean is a recipe for disaster and that's almost what happened. We left the wharf around 5 am and quickly realized that it was very rough out there. But me being me and having a strong desire to get there we pressed on. The waves suddenly got big and started to break over the bow. The boat was going straight up and slamming down. I thought we were done for....all for some treasure lol. We managed to navigate to an island that was close by and seek shelter. We stayed tucked behind the island for about an hour and a half. Suddenly the sky turned blue and the wind began dying down. I had already given up all hope of getting to my dream site and then suddenly we were able to get back on course. A few miles later and we arrived safely.
This particular spot has been hit with some terrible storms and the trees were payed down everywhere. A crisscrossed and tangled up mess. I almost just left because I saw no way of detecting in that mess. But after the effort to get there I figured we'd give it a shot. It was tough just walking and maybe 8% of the ground was huntable. I quickly found a couple of buttons and a copper coin. Eventually I got to what I thought was a very early homes site. I got a very very deep high tone and eventually got my fingers on an object. I could feel that it was a spoon bowl and was shocked when I pulled it out. An incredible complete 17th century Latten spoon. Likely mid 1600s. I think I've maybe seen one of these dug and it was my good pal Bill D. I was elated and super happy. A few minutes later I got a similar signal and dug another super deep hole. Out came another complete spoon even nicer than the first. Complete and with whati believe is a strawberry or pineapple knop. Amazing!
I unfortunately didn't have much time to hunt by the time I got out there and had to leave soon. On the way out I dug a really cool Georgian shoe buckle. I also found a destroyed matron head and an 1876 Canadian cent in very rough shape. Last night I dug a KG and a nice 1797 LC.
On the drive home I called George(Vino) and told him I was so psyched about the spoons. He didn't sound too impressed lol. So when I got home I texted him some pics and my phone rang instantly. He was blown away at the pics. I also contacted Bill D and he was really happy for me. I love having buddy's to share this stuff with. My gf wasn't too thrilled about 2 dirty old spoons lol.
I know some people won't think much of these spoons but I cant begin to explain how incredibly happy I am to have found these amazing 17th century relics. Behind the tree coin these are my favorite finds ever. Thanks for looking and listening to my rambling guys.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 72
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Abe. If that's what 8% of the exposed ground gives up I cant wait to see what turns up there when you can cover more ground. Keep up the good work.
That's the problem my friend. There's huge trees laying everywhere on the ground. It's the biggest mess I've ever attempted to detect. That's saying something cause I hunt some real messes. A couple of small hurricanes wiped this area out.......but how could I stay away lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sound of the "adventure" the best, I've had some of those where we were very nervous to even turn around, and head back. Afraid of being capsized by a side-on wave. The wind was strong enough that my buddies hat blew off, and probably went a 100 yards before it touched down. So I love the story /post

The spoons are cool, but like any kind of iron, don't do much for me. No offence, to each his own, right.
I do like very much the buckle, and would have risked life, and limb on such a trip for that.

One question, the other fellow with you, was he (must be) a MDer too ?
He is not a detector but I loaned him my spare today. It was such a terrible spot to try to hunt that I felt bad for him. The spoons are a copper and zinc alloy....not iron

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner!

Ahab you must have a guardian Angel! No wonder you have no competition, dolphins don't count!
Thanks for the Banner nod Ms Beep. I have no competition because nobody else is dumb or crazy enough to do the things I do to dig a few holes in the dirt

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe - I'm still totally astonished with these incredible finds! I've never seen any complete and very early spoons like that dug in the US other than at Jamestown. Very rare and historic finds indeed. Many folks here may not have an appreciation for such unique and early recoveries, but this is an obvious banner day for you. And I urge folks to cast their banner vote for these spoons as it'll be a long time before you see anything comparable posted here. Many congrats again my good friend, and I hope to see the spoons up top soon.
Bill I'm really happy that I was able to share this hunt with you and appreciate all of your great input. I knew when you were blown away I had something really special :headbang:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great spoons dude. Even my wife thought so and she just said "all coins look alike" when I showed her my newest seated half. My point is holy moly, I love those spoons and they're amazing. They cast a shadow on the 1797 LC which is an incredible feat in itself. Therefore Id say these spoons are banner material baby!!!!!!!!

Thanks my friend. You had quite a day yourself and I'm glad your wife likes my dirty old spoons. My gf just kept looking at me as if to say "why the hell are you freaking out about a couple of funny looking, filthy spoons....you idiot". At least that's how I was reading it lol. Thanks for the vote bud

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had good success with Aluminum Jelly on spoons including older pewter/pewter-alloy spoons getting those concretions off of them and revealing more detail. Just keep an eye on it if you use it.

Very nice find on the spoons!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awe heck, Abe,

I would "spoon" with those outstanding relics! I could only dream of finding anything metal that old. Congrats and you have my vote for "Banner." Sub 8-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across these and Lot 137 looks very similar to the one I found
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awe heck, Abe,

I would "spoon" with those outstanding relics! I could only dream of finding anything metal that old. Congrats and you have my vote for "Banner." Sub 8-)
Thanks Sub. I may or may not be "spooning" with them as we speak....I Love You Spoons

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is not a detector but I loaned him my spare today. It was such a terrible spot to try to hunt that I felt bad for him. The spoons are a copper and zinc alloy....not iron

I know they are not iron (no rust) what I meant was ,like some iron relics that many like , say canon balls, just not my cup of tea. Ask Dave I gave him my trade axe.

I would not have given the buckle away though, BTW it is quite different than (I think) about any other I,ve seen posted.

In any case when those waves were coming over the bow, you were "living life with zest"...right or wrong ? that's the part you'll remember the longest. Reading the first paragraph, I was "almost" there.

EDIT: I should also mention that finding one complete is rare, as old as that...rare, and with the grape cluster on the end...well I don't know about that. I still like the buckle better..that's all.

Last edited:

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love those spoons! Heck, I get excited when I find silverplated junkware(at least if it's older than me). Great hunt and the trip sounds like a blast!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I can't tell you how hard it must be to find a spoon complete!
I've dug a million pieces(well a lot) and only a couple of complete spoons made from pewter, your site is worth the trip!
Super finds!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely worked for those finds, the buckles are awesome as always but I too am taken back by those spoons, they are incredible for being well over 350 years old, absolutely awesome finds, Im sure if you venture back out there theres more to be found

congrats to you sir!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahab you made a nice grab today, looks to be paddle spoons and the buckle is cool also,vanzutphen

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Abe, that is a dream hunt for me. I think I might like 17th century bottles, pottery and spoons as much as coins and buttons and those two complete spoons are at the top of my list. You lucky dog to find two complete ones.....sheesh. When are you going back?!!

Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome spoon!!! The guy I was with found one today as well from an early 1700's site and gave it to the farmer!!!
Congrats

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, 4 pages already.
When we talked today and you told me you found 2 spoons that you real excited about, I was like OKAY????
Then you text me a pic..Wow.
Now i understand.
I dont believe i ever seen them posted..
To find one that old and in one piece is amazing, let alone 2..
That piece of history is BANNER ALL DAY LONG..
As we talked earlier, was not sure if people would know how rare they are to find..
Looks like alot of people do..
Amazing find..
Oh and one more thing.
I THINK WE NEED A BIGGER BOAT!!!! LOL

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two great recoveries Abe no telling what the site would produce if you could do some clearing. Congrats on the finds from the not so easy hunt, you really deserved to get a few keepers for taking the trip out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread