🥇 BANNER Rare 1600s Latten Spoons, Georgian Shoe Buckle, 1797 LC, My Best Relics Ever

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a crazy day. I've been making plans to get to an incredibly early site for months now. But it's a very tough place to get to and several factors have to be considered including tides, wind, boat size, and peoples schedules. Today everything lined up with the exception of the wind. It was blowing pretty darned hard but I had my mind made up. The big problem is that you need a fairly small boat to get to this location but you've got to go across mikes of open ocean....very nasty and unpredictable ocean. Small boat and open ocean is a recipe for disaster and that's almost what happened. We left the wharf around 5 am and quickly realized that it was very rough out there. But me being me and having a strong desire to get there we pressed on. The waves suddenly got big and started to break over the bow. The boat was going straight up and slamming down. I thought we were done for....all for some treasure lol. We managed to navigate to an island that was close by and seek shelter. We stayed tucked behind the island for about an hour and a half. Suddenly the sky turned blue and the wind began dying down. I had already given up all hope of getting to my dream site and then suddenly we were able to get back on course. A few miles later and we arrived safely.
This particular spot has been hit with some terrible storms and the trees were payed down everywhere. A crisscrossed and tangled up mess. I almost just left because I saw no way of detecting in that mess. But after the effort to get there I figured we'd give it a shot. It was tough just walking and maybe 8% of the ground was huntable. I quickly found a couple of buttons and a copper coin. Eventually I got to what I thought was a very early homes site. I got a very very deep high tone and eventually got my fingers on an object. I could feel that it was a spoon bowl and was shocked when I pulled it out. An incredible complete 17th century Latten spoon. Likely mid 1600s. I think I've maybe seen one of these dug and it was my good pal Bill D. I was elated and super happy. A few minutes later I got a similar signal and dug another super deep hole. Out came another complete spoon even nicer than the first. Complete and with whati believe is a strawberry or pineapple knop. Amazing!
I unfortunately didn't have much time to hunt by the time I got out there and had to leave soon. On the way out I dug a really cool Georgian shoe buckle. I also found a destroyed matron head and an 1876 Canadian cent in very rough shape. Last night I dug a KG and a nice 1797 LC.
On the drive home I called George(Vino) and told him I was so psyched about the spoons. He didn't sound too impressed lol. So when I got home I texted him some pics and my phone rang instantly. He was blown away at the pics. I also contacted Bill D and he was really happy for me. I love having buddy's to share this stuff with. My gf wasn't too thrilled about 2 dirty old spoons lol.
I know some people won't think much of these spoons but I cant begin to explain how incredibly happy I am to have found these amazing 17th century relics. Behind the tree coin these are my favorite finds ever. Thanks for looking and listening to my rambling guys.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 72

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting those spoons up there on the banner Abe! They are truly incredible pieces of history that deserve their own place in your collection. The shoe buckle is right up there too! One of the nicest shoe buckles I've ever seen, or ever will see, in my opinion. Well done!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job you really worked hard for that banner.You are lucky to live in area that produces older finds. Looks like you might have to work a little on the island to get the the rest. The good stuff is not always easy. Good luck!

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe you are Definitely on a winning streak with all these cool finds. It doesn't surprise me thou I know how much Research you do during the Winter months preparing for the next years Hunts. Congrats and I bet we will see another Banner with your name again soon. At this rate you will have to build an Addition to your house just to hold all your finds..LOL

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Well this post has brought me out of tnet hibernation. What an awesome recovery of historically significant early colonial relics. Congratulations on a well deserved and hard earned banner. Not only is it extremely difficult to locate a site that will produce finds of this age and quality but to nearly drown to access the site take dedication and a little bit of obsession (something most of us have). It would have been so easy to have broken those amazing spoons as you dug them from there resting place of 350 years which makes the recovery even that much more amazing.

I hope you and your buddy had on life vest, not that that would have helped much in frigid water for long. Just don't be foolish and get yourself killed but hurry up and get back to that site so we can enjoy some more incredible finds.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this post has brought me out of tnet hibernation. What an awesome recovery of historically significant early colonial relics. Congratulations on a well deserved and hard earned banner. Not only is it extremely difficult to locate a site that will produce finds of this age and quality but to nearly drown to access the site take dedication and a little bit of obsession (something most of us have). It would have been so easy to have broken those amazing spoons as you dug them from there resting place of 350 years which makes the recovery even that much more amazing.

I hope you and your buddy had on life vest, not that that would have helped much in frigid water for long. Just don't be foolish and get yourself killed but hurry up and get back to that site so we can enjoy some more incredible finds.
Thanks buddy. We did bring survival suits and had life vests on. But you don't last long on the Maine coast

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe you are Definitely on a winning streak with all these cool finds. It doesn't surprise me thou I know how much Research you do during the Winter months preparing for the next years Hunts. Congrats and I bet we will see another Banner with your name again soon. At this rate you will have to build an Addition to your house just to hold all your finds..LOL

Thanks buddy. It was a perfect winter to kick back on the couch and research on those terrible days. I'm finishing off my basement for the treasure spot 8-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job you really worked hard for that banner.You are lucky to live in area that produces older finds. Looks like you might have to work a little on the island to get the the rest. The good stuff is not always easy. Good luck!

Most of my best finds have come with some very hard work in some tough locations. Worth every bit of effort

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Ahab you are a class apart. I've never nearly drowned to go detecting, and hopefully never will. Your hard work is reaping the rewards, the spoons are simply great. In fact I am making you an honary Yorkshire man. Arise Sir Ahab :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I have never wanted for another hunter to get back out to their spot and dig some more! Great story! I hope you take camping gear with you so you can spend as much time clearing and hunting as possible--big congrats from Nebraska--stay safe!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Amazing find. Truly Banner worthy. Congratulations on such a unique find.

mihmar79

Dec 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice ones! gz!:thumbsup:

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulations on a well deserved banner !!

There is far more research , recon , trash digging , waiting on the weather, waiting on a field to get plowed ,etc. etc. etc.. that goes into making a nice keeper find than most people could ever imagine..Nice job..

dan

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks my friend. You had quite a day yourself and I'm glad your wife likes my dirty old spoons. My gf just kept looking at me as if to say "why the hell are you freaking out about a couple of funny looking, filthy spoons....you idiot". At least that's how I was reading it lol. Thanks for the vote bud
Ah Abe, my friend, my finds were very nice but I was 1-upped big time. Outstanding finds and congrats on banner. You have been talking about going to the island for a long time. Enjoy the spoons in some cereal tomorrow for me.

Steve

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab you are a class apart. I've never nearly drowned to go detecting, and hopefully never will. Your hard work is reaping the rewards, the spoons are simply great. In fact I am making you an honary Yorkshire man. Arise Sir Ahab :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Wow what an honor my friend 8-). I may be headed to Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England fairly soon. My mom is of Welsh descent and I vowed that I would take her. Looks like that's going to happen soon

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Some amazing relics and coins- congrats on the well-deserved banner, Abe! But listen- don't deprive us out here who are living vicariously through your posts by getting drowned in the Atlantic Ocean. I hope you were at least wearing a life vest- and your detector was packed in a floating case of some sort? :laughing7:

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Abe. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. The fact that Vino was impressed makes the spoons a banner find for sure! Lol

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's mass bay colony stuff right there:notworthy: that will be hard to top,you're at the time limit:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread