🥇 BANNER Rare 1600s Latten Spoons, Georgian Shoe Buckle, 1797 LC, My Best Relics Ever

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a crazy day. I've been making plans to get to an incredibly early site for months now. But it's a very tough place to get to and several factors have to be considered including tides, wind, boat size, and peoples schedules. Today everything lined up with the exception of the wind. It was blowing pretty darned hard but I had my mind made up. The big problem is that you need a fairly small boat to get to this location but you've got to go across mikes of open ocean....very nasty and unpredictable ocean. Small boat and open ocean is a recipe for disaster and that's almost what happened. We left the wharf around 5 am and quickly realized that it was very rough out there. But me being me and having a strong desire to get there we pressed on. The waves suddenly got big and started to break over the bow. The boat was going straight up and slamming down. I thought we were done for....all for some treasure lol. We managed to navigate to an island that was close by and seek shelter. We stayed tucked behind the island for about an hour and a half. Suddenly the sky turned blue and the wind began dying down. I had already given up all hope of getting to my dream site and then suddenly we were able to get back on course. A few miles later and we arrived safely.
This particular spot has been hit with some terrible storms and the trees were payed down everywhere. A crisscrossed and tangled up mess. I almost just left because I saw no way of detecting in that mess. But after the effort to get there I figured we'd give it a shot. It was tough just walking and maybe 8% of the ground was huntable. I quickly found a couple of buttons and a copper coin. Eventually I got to what I thought was a very early homes site. I got a very very deep high tone and eventually got my fingers on an object. I could feel that it was a spoon bowl and was shocked when I pulled it out. An incredible complete 17th century Latten spoon. Likely mid 1600s. I think I've maybe seen one of these dug and it was my good pal Bill D. I was elated and super happy. A few minutes later I got a similar signal and dug another super deep hole. Out came another complete spoon even nicer than the first. Complete and with whati believe is a strawberry or pineapple knop. Amazing!
I unfortunately didn't have much time to hunt by the time I got out there and had to leave soon. On the way out I dug a really cool Georgian shoe buckle. I also found a destroyed matron head and an 1876 Canadian cent in very rough shape. Last night I dug a KG and a nice 1797 LC.
On the drive home I called George(Vino) and told him I was so psyched about the spoons. He didn't sound too impressed lol. So when I got home I texted him some pics and my phone rang instantly. He was blown away at the pics. I also contacted Bill D and he was really happy for me. I love having buddy's to share this stuff with. My gf wasn't too thrilled about 2 dirty old spoons lol.
I know some people won't think much of these spoons but I cant begin to explain how incredibly happy I am to have found these amazing 17th century relics. Behind the tree coin these are my favorite finds ever. Thanks for looking and listening to my rambling guys.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 72

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not big on spoons..... except for those! :censored: I never thought I'd say banner for a couple spoons, but those are definitely worthy!

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad you found something nice after that boat trip. Made me feel queasy just reading it. No boats for me. Got to be more good stuff there.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Man! Those are some awesome spoons! Not the newer flat handle spoons I'm used to. That is one of the most interesting shoe buckles I have seen too. You are on fire lately Abe, it seems you have been blowing everyone else on here away!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Not big on spoons..... except for those! :censored: I never thought I'd say banner for a couple spoons, but those are definitely worthy!

I agree, those are banner worthy relics.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pieces of history !!!:thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds ! What is the composition (alloy ?) of the spoons ? Great 1797 DB. You do come up with the spots ,
Spot on with the research I'd guess .

(That gold brick under your avatar pic looks good too !)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the back neck of the spoon very carefully for any marks...

Would be great to have dug up a "Revere"... heh

P>S> BANNER.

Last edited:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Abe. If that's what 8% of the exposed ground gives up I cant wait to see what turns up there when you can cover more ground. Keep up the good work.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sound of the "adventure" the best, I've had some of those where we were very nervous to even turn around, and head back. Afraid of being capsized by a side-on wave. The wind was strong enough that my buddies hat blew off, and probably went a 100 yards before it touched down. So I love the story /post

The spoons are cool, but like any kind of iron, don't do much for me. No offence, to each his own, right.
I do like very much the buckle, and would have risked life, and limb on such a trip for that.

One question, the other fellow with you, was he (must be) a MDer too ?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner!

Ahab you must have a guardian Angel! No wonder you have no competition, dolphins don't count!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Abe - I'm still totally astonished with these incredible finds! I've never seen any complete and very early spoons like that dug in the US other than at Jamestown. Very rare and historic finds indeed. Many folks here may not have an appreciation for such unique and early recoveries, but this is an obvious banner day for you. And I urge folks to cast their banner vote for these spoons as it'll be a long time before you see anything comparable posted here. Many congrats again my good friend, and I hope to see the spoons up top soon.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks a lot brother. I knew you and a few others would really appreciate these. I am really thrilled to have them. I appreciate the Banner nod bro

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are great spoons dude. Even my wife thought so and she just said "all coins look alike" when I showed her my newest seated half. My point is holy moly, I love those spoons and they're amazing. They cast a shadow on the 1797 LC which is an incredible feat in itself. Therefore Id say these spoons are banner material baby!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad you found something nice after that boat trip. Made me feel queasy just reading it. No boats for me. Got to be more good stuff there.

Thanks OJG. It was certainly a sketchy trip and I ache from head to toe. Yes I'm sure there's other amazing early finds out there but the trees are just laying everywhere. It looks like somebody just picked them up and dropped them. It's tough going out there but I have a feeling there's a Mass silver or two in that dirt

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! Those are some awesome spoons! Not the newer flat handle spoons I'm used to. That is one of the most interesting shoe buckles I have seen too. You are on fire lately Abe, it seems you have been blowing everyone else on here away!

Thank you Coinman I knew you'd like these. I honestly didn't know that was a shoe buckle when I dug it. It's so different that most I've found. The arch is crazy

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks OJG. It was certainly a sketchy trip and I ache from head to toe. Yes I'm sure there's other amazing early finds out there but the trees are just laying everywhere. It looks like somebody just picked them up and dropped them. It's tough going out there but I have a feeling there's a Mass silver or two in that dirt

Better be careful. There may be an ogre on the island with trees that looks like they've been picked up and dropped

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds ! What is the composition (alloy ?) of the spoons ? Great 1797 DB. You do come up with the spots ,
Spot on with the research I'd guess .

(That gold brick under your avatar pic looks good too !)
Hey Arg the Latten as its called is a copper and zinc alloy. Happy to be a gold member :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread