Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went on a quick after work hunt in a friend's 30 acre hay field for about 90 minutes today. He just started cutting it yesterday and called to lemme' know, so off I went.

I dug up this bullet. How old it is (if at all), I have no clue. :

First Old Bullet May 22 2015 001.JPG

Here's a view from the bottom. It's kinda' flattened:

First Old Bullet May 22 2015 002.JPG

And one more of the other side:

First Old Bullet May 22 2015 003.JPG

It rang up in the nickel/gold range and it's really heavy for it's size. It's about 7/16" long and around 1/4" across/diameter. If anyone knows what caliber it could be I would also love to know.

I know lots of you folks on T'Net hunt old bullets and other relics. I know next to nothing about these things and really haven't run into anything quite like this before. I've dug a bunch of old shell caps and .22 slugs but that's pretty much it. I'm hoping this turns out to be a cool find.

If anyone can tell me exactly what this is and/or if it's old or possibly a good find, I will truly appreciate it.

Thanks for lookin' & HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bullet, it's flattened so an accurate diameter will be hard to get but my guess is it'll be maybe a .32 cal possibly .38. It has reeded grooves which as I remember would date it post 1880,

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a bullet, it's flattened so an accurate diameter will be hard to get but my guess is it'll be maybe a .32 cal possibly .38. It has reeded grooves which as I remember would date it post 1880,

Thanks. It just doesn't look very modern to me.
I guess it's hard to date something like this.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second picture,,, the bottom one,,,the grooves running lengthwise on the slug,,,would those be from a bore that is not rifled?

The grooves just caught my eye,,, that's all

Hit

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The second picture,,, the bottom one,,,the grooves running lengthwise on the slug,,,would those be from a bore that is not rifled?

The grooves just caught my eye,,, that's all

Hit

'Dunno. That's why I posted it here to find out! It definitely looks like it was in a cartridge.

I'm certain it's not Civil war era or anything but it may still be pretty old. I'm thinking possibly WW 1 era??
I've dug a few modern bullets but this one seems very different from what I'm used to seeing.

I'm really hoping someone can identify and hopefully at least roughly date it.

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pic you can clearly see the grooves from a rifled barrel. It's a hollow base bullet which people often assume means old, but they are still in use today in many common pistol calibers. If it were possible to get an accurate diameter it might be easier since we'd know the caliber, that combined with a weight in grains could narrow down exactly what it is. Without that, the best guess would be based of off what kind of site it was found at and the age of other finds around it....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread