Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't really tell how big it is, but it looks like a novelty luggage ID tag that was given to her as a Christmas gift in 1907. Very nice and unusual personal find! I wonder if she has any relatives still in the area.

OP
OP
Target

Target

Greenie
Jan 9, 2013
Deer Park/ Spokane, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is only 3 inches tall and two and half inches wide! I think you are correct about novelty I think it's a lot of trouble to go through to have it inscribed! It was a cool find one of my favorites! I will be checking on relative! Thank you

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's definitely the right size for a luggage tag. Certainly one of the nicer personal items I have seen posted here and unique in that I have never seen another like it. Kudos to you for trying to find one of Fern's relatives and congratulations on the find. :thumbsup:

If someone here has a subscription to a site such as Been Verified (I just had to cancel mine the other day, but would have gladly done a look up for you) or similar they may be able to easily find Fern's relatives. Some of the better researchers here like MackayDon should also be able to help you find relatives.

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, congratulations. Notice how the slot at the top was "holed out" to accommodate a chain link maybe. It could have been on the collar of a large dog, goat, or pony that was a Christmas gift for Fern! Best of luck on the research. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
Target

Target

Greenie
Jan 9, 2013
Deer Park/ Spokane, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I love this site so many helpful people! Never thought about a animal tag but it would make sence as a Christmas gift! I will keep researching but yes this was one of my favorite finds! Hard to find such cool stuff in the NW! Thank you Sub!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Id say that tag is on target,neat,vanzutphen

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a cool find, I love finding stuff with character and history and the inscription makes yours a real winner! Congrats.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ancestry.com has the name listed as well but the DOB conflicts with the news paper article that Jeff PA posted. Maybe close kin? Interesting find and will be even more interesting to see what turns up.

. FernWalker.JPG

Last edited:

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a better posting on FamilyTreenow.com. This sounds more like the person in the news paper article.

FernWalker2.JPG

OP
OP
Target

Target

Greenie
Jan 9, 2013
Deer Park/ Spokane, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DonDigger you have probably nailed it! I found this badge in Spokane and the dates are perfect and area is perfect! You have greatly helped my research! Again Thank You for the time you took to help me I will keep you posted on anything I find! You Rock! Target!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Target, good luck with trying to locate her decedents! And thanks for the comments. This is one of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread