Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Today went to a pretty poor site, since I was already at the place for other reasons I tried it anyway. I did not find much until later in the hunt. I got a weird signal that took over a very large area. I dug and saw pennies! I found around 10 at first taking it slow and searching for them individually. Next I just sat down digging with my hands grabbed multiple pennies at a time. All dated from the 1960's-2004 (2004 is a Canada Penny), a pretty weird cache, all pennies, nothing else. Maybe some dropped rolls. Next it got late and I left, still with my metal detector going crazy where the pennies were. I found 80 pennies, I'm guessing that there are still another 40 or so in the hole. I forgot my pinpointer because I was not planning on metal detecting in the first place. I am not able to go back, to far away and nothing good in terms of finds. Anyways, quite an interesting find, what do you guys think? Found in the woods next to a sports field, walking trail and road.

Cache or Spill???
(no photos at the moment)

Upvote 5

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds a bit like mine, mine did contain a few interesting cents tho, one Canadian and one wheat. Also got a 1969-s double strike think that is what it is. Not sure if it was in the main spill or in some other multi coin sandwich at this point now.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some kid, hid their treasure. I found one by the football field under a tree, 152 pennies and 2 nickles.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I vote for ashtray clean-out of unwanted cents. Doesn't seem like coin rolls as I doubt paper rolls as late as 2004 would deteriorate to nothing this fast, & if plastic rolls, you'd see plastic remnants or intact rolls. Sometimes at beaches I detect, people deliberately ditch their cents by scattering them a bit, then kicking sand over -- maybe just to give us detectorists a cheap thrill, lol. :laughing7: The first year we detected, my son dug multiple plastic-encased quarter rolls in a small trashy field adding up to over $60, so occasionally coin rolls get tossed either deliberately or by accident. It's still a puzzle to us. :dontknow: Andi

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I would guess ash-tray cleanout then. They were scattered over and area of 2 feet. I guess that makes since. Thanks!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ash tray cleanout?

First thing that came to my mind reading the post but was it in a spot pretty accessible to a vehicle? Most people are lazy and would just want to dump there ashtray right out the window while there parked! [emoji2]

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two types of penny mounds. One at a school, none dated later than 2000 and they were stacked next to each other, probable coin rolls drop, no paper found.

The other was scattered next to and behind a park bench that also had scratch tickets (losing ones) on the ground. That I'm guessing was the favorite place for scratching tickets over a period of time and the unlucky pennies tossed.

There was also the ones dumped in Walmart parking lot, clearly ashtray clean out. Hey it was 100 pennies, a buck! I scooped them up ASAP!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Coinman123,

Very interesting find!

I had a 72 Lincoln cent spill, silver ring and gold pendent, but the spill must have been over many years. I was detecting at a school yard near a telephone pole with a light on it. I imagine that people over the years stood near the pole and dropped things. The depth of the layer was no more than 4 inches. Sure was a lot of fun!

Regards,

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recovered over 2,000 pennies on a wooded hillside with glas fragments. I think someone threw a glas jar full of pennies down the hill, maybe stolen ,who knows? Kept me busy for 3 days!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I recovered over 2,000 pennies on a wooded hillside with glas fragments. I think someone threw a glas jar full of pennies down the hill, maybe stolen ,who knows? Kept me busy for 3 days!

Pretty awesome find, that is certainly a very interesting find:) When do you think that they were dropped. Before the spill I found yesterday my record was 20 something.

I never checked the dates, I just saw a couple newer ones such as the 2004 Canada.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got the photo...
IMG_20150523_212015.jpg

They are in pretty bad shape considering how recently they were dropped. Maybe being found in a bunch of acidic pineneedles and rotting tree branches had something to do with it.

Just a quick glance and I see I penny with a date of 2005 now.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread