Most Unusual Civil War Relic Ive Ever Found, + Flying Eagle Cent From the Trenches!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most Unusual Civil War Relic I've Ever Found, + Flying Eagle Cent From the Trenches!

I didn't see it until I got home and was cleaning my bullets. This certainly looks like a common 3-ringer, and it is.

DSCN0903.JPG

Note - no ramrod marks, no impact marks, but it doesn't appear to be "dropped". It obviously hasn't been "pulled".

DSCN0904.JPG

Or HAS it?? Turn it over, and this bullet was "pulled" . . . but from the BOTTOM! This bullet MUST have been mistakenly loaded UPSIDE DOWN. That's the only explanation I can think of. I imagine in the confusion of the heat of battle, some terrified boy shoved this bullet in his musket the wrong way! It misfired, and he had no choice but to "worm" it out.

DSCN0905.JPG

I suppose this is not the only time this ever happened among the millions and millions of bullets loaded in the civil war, but I've yet to show this to a relic hunter who has seen one before. I'd be interested to know if any of you have. Of course, I have an alternative theory: This bullet was fired by a sharp-eyed yankee and it went straight down the barrel of a Confederate's musket! He of course, had to remove it. Yeah, well . . . it's a MUCH better story.

I had a good hunt. Two other pulled bullets, an iron buckle, a thin brass strange little buckle of some description, a half a gun main-spring, some shell fragments and a Flying Eagle cent from the trenches. I'm told they were made from 1856-1858, but the date is unreadable. I MIGHT see a "7". If anybody can ID the thin brass item, far right center, I'd like to know. No holes or rivets, very thin and springy.

DSCN0896.JPG DSCN0899.JPG DSCN0900.JPG

Digging buddy had a good bullet day, also some frags, and some flat buttons - and what appears to be a salt-shaker top. The stars are actually holes.

DSCN0889.JPG DSCN0890.JPG

Mudduck dug a lot of bullets too, a flat button, and a very unusual gun wrench which was probably the find of the day. But I am really knocked out by that rear-pulled 3-ringer.

Upvote 22

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow PW! That's the first rear wormed minie for me. I'm sure it happened from time to time, but to recover one has to be a rare occurrence. Thanks for posting something so unusual!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That pulled 3 ringer might not be an accidental bullet reversal in the rifle, as I have found a few that were obviously fired backwards - think of a giant .58 hollow-point bullet, accurate enough for close range combat. Most close contact combat takes place at about 50 yards on the modern battlefield, and I imagine it was much the same in the Northern War of Aggression. The backwards bullet would not have the same velocity as one properly loaded since the bullets skirts are designed to bump up to bore size from the pressure of the expanding gasses of the black powder burning, nor would it's ballistics make it very viable at much range since that big void in it's base would cause tremendous resistance while passing through the air if fired backwards, but close up and personal, anybody hit with one would suffer a most grievous wound. Good hunting, nice coin, looks like fun! Cheers!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool finding a bullet like that. It really tells a story about the soldier who last handled it. Just imagine his shivering hands as he fumbled around trying to unclog his gun as enemy soldiers were firing shots all around him. I wonder if he made it though the war. Neat stories these artifacts tell us. :thumbsup:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a story! You know that poor fellow was furious with himself and his luck. Great group of finds. Congrats on the FE...don't see them often at all.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a different type of bullet find…love the lead

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE HUNT - NICE FINDS - ACTUALLY IVE SEEN AT LEAST A DOZEN OR SO OF THOSE REVERSE LOADED PULLS - A GUY GOT ONE NOT TO LONG AGO ON A HUNT I WAS ON

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could be right about "heat of the battle". I read somewhere once about after the Battle of Gettsyburg, they picked up the battlefield. A lot of frontstuffers were improperly loaded, including one that had around 20 loads stuffed down the barrel. Getting a round in backwards would have been perfectly understandable.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't that piss you off! Very cool. Nice find

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parsonwalker, It is possible that your brass spring is part of a CW era Morris Code telegraph machine? Sub 8-)
telegraph machine.jpg

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unusual find

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats great finds, and a very telling one!

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Very nice finds for sure! Believe it or not (see user name), the Flying Eagle is the coin I would be most thrilled to find. I am west of the Alleghenies and have dug large cents, but I have always wished for a FE.

Well done!
Mr R

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wondering if the salt shaker lid could actually be a sand shaker, but I realize it may be impossible to tell.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wondering if the salt shaker lid could actually be a sand shaker, but I realize it may be impossible to tell.

What the heck is a sand shaker?!?

Casper - Well thanks for bursting my bubble . . .

And Sub - Hmmmm. I never THOUGHT of that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread