🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At this site, if you get a repeatable signal you are guaranteed its a coin or relic... there is no junk. The morning started slow with mostly iron. I wanted a repeatable signal so bad! In the first hour, the only keeper I dug was a pewter flat button that was mixed in with one of the bouncy iron signals. The day was looking like a bust and I was getting tired. I decided to wander over to another part of the field and try another area. While detecting my way over there, I went outside the iron patch where I previously ended my grid yesterday. It's quiet... then I get my first repeatable signal. Although a bit bouncy, its hitting from all directions... and not as high as silver. I flip the plug and pinpoint it and I am thinking I am about to get a nice flat button... and I'm excited since its been such a slow morning.

I was not expecting to see this! I snatched it right up and didn't even think of an in situ picture.
This is my first cut Spanish and its my oldest Silver. But since I dug the 1719 KG1 yesterday, not my oldest coin.

Cut Pistareen.jpg

While sitting there with a huge smile on my face, I emailed Bill D. from the field for the help with the ID and he got right back to me with a wealth of information. Coins this old are new to me. Thanks a ton Bill.
IMG_20150524_111220.jpg IMG_20150524_111250.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...
That is SUPER crisp.
Nice dig.

PS> I might add ... IMO ... This is a superb example of a cut piece...
On a scale of 1-10... this would be a 12.

PSS> IF there is a banner for best cut piece... heh.

PSSS> (heh) IMO This cut has a unique character to it because of the raw cuts and the bend to cuts... AND where it was cut.

This piece looks like it was cut yesterday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I don't know much about cut silver, but I thought "how lucky am I to get the piece with the date". Bill emailed me and told me they would cut them on the + which splits the date in half... He said he hasn't dug one cut like this before. I must be lucky! A couple months ago when I dug that bust half spill with the Reales, I got my oldest silver... 1776 1 Reales. I didn't think I'd ever beat that date... And then the last two days have blown it away.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's sweet. I agree with AARC. If there were a perfectly cut piece of silver this would be it; great condition, nice cut, dated, and old. Nice score. I'm sure it didn't show itself easy.

Congrats

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A site with no trash, thats a very rare thing! Still thats a danged nice cut silver !!! :occasion14: on :metaldetector: that :treasurechest: Maybe it was cut that way on purpose because the date was important to someone?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save !! Looks like they cut it, just to save the date for you ! :occasion14:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Indeed tough to find that type of cut pistareen. I have 3 or 4 but only one with the date. Add to it the great condition of yours and its most definitely a super scarce find. Congrats.

Attachments

• DSCN0690.JPG
    DSCN0690.JPG
    984.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0692.JPG
    DSCN0692.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 126

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you got "the right" piece for sure.
Missed your KG 1 post, those are pretty rare to dig, I've got just one KG 1 coin.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the beautiful coin find! The detail is amazing...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Brad - that coin looks much nicer here than in the pics you sent me earlier. That thing has very crisp details with very little wear. And like I mentioned to you earlier, I've dug 83 cut colonial silver coins, most of the pistareens like yours, and I've never seen one with the full date. Not even on half of a cut coin since they were almost always cut along the lines of the cross which split the date in half. So a very unique piece indeed. I know you're pumped, and deservedly so.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding to my above...
You know the more I think about this piece...
In my opinion...
If there ever was a cut piece that was deserving of a banner... it would def be this one...
So...
Ima gonna calla... this one howz I sees it...
Banner find.

This thing looks like when it was cut... this piece shot/flung into the dirt and laid there till you picked it back up.
The date and detail combo is unreal... and with "extras".

The next one with this kind of crispness I have seen on here was found by Tnet member Sentinel...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ip-v-cut-spanish-pistareen-1864-two-cent.html

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed tough to find that type of cut pistareen. I have 3 or 4 but only one with the date. Add to it the great condition of yours and its most definitely a super scarce find. Congrats.

GwDigger... your coin rocks...
This is also Bad arse booty... heh
Love that coin as well.
Textbook.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys! I thought it was cool... but damn, after reading what you guys are writing about it, I guess its a lot nicer than I thought. I'm even more psyched now and feel VERY lucky since I totally stumbled across this one... it was an aimless wander from one part of the field to another and I just happened to put my coil over it. No signals around it either, except half a horse shoe (knew it was iron) I dug a few feet away. I will be making a few more trips in the next week out there!

I finally scraped the dirt off the only other nice find today and it has a SWEET pattern on it! It looks like a sun with rays and a flower in the middle of it! I guess I should give it a glue and water dip to make sure it doesn't flake anymore.
IMG_20150524_151317.jpg IMG_20150524_151241.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's one crisp looking piece of silver, and it sure didn't stay in circulation long before being dropped. Congrats on the great looking find.:occasion14:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK OA you can wipe that dang smile off your face ,you made your point and did you, nice finds you got there and no insult intended . Man 1721 kinda makes you wonder who the two where and what type transaction they where making,vanzutphen

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky to get the whole date, 3 other pieces out there with no date!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread