🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reale Good Hunt 12 hours: 5 keepers

Hello All,

Went out solo for a hunt. Wish Shangalang could've gone, we'd have done twice as well. :thumbsup: Here's the video:

I started off at a spot where we have dug Spanish silvers before, but the relics and coins are few and far between. Started off with a bang. Dug a flat button in the first row, then when I heard a beep I looked down and saw a CW bullet sticking out of the dirt.

bullet in dirt.jpg
It ended up being a perfect dropped Enfield. Certainly the nicest I have ever dug, with not a single plow ding or scrape. :headbang:

bullet in hand.jpg

Thick clouds were moving in, so I decided to drive to another little town where we have many permissions. Stopped by an old spot to see if I could pull anything out of a mid-1800s trash pit we'd hit before. Eyeballed a doll hand, some porcelain buttons, and a deep, bouncy signal ended up an almost complete spur!

spur.jpg

At this point, it started to rain... So rather than drive a good distance to where the rest of our permissions were, I headed back to the first site and--lo and behold!--it was DRY! :headbang: So I started again there, right where I left off. At this point, 10 hours into a 12 hour day in the heat and humidity, I was determined to dig either a nice silver coin or a military button, so I kept at it. First thing I eyeballed was the snake sword hanger thingy where it had washed out from the rains. (I'm not sure that the ID is right on these, since I have now dug TWO of these from the same field. And the broken brass loop in the snake's mouth looks quite overbuilt for a sword hanger...)

hanger in dirt.jpg

Then...it rained. Started to get heavier and heavier...I ran for the truck. Sat in the truck. Looked at the radar...then the rain started to taper off...

Waited for 30 mins, knowing that it had been dry and the rain would get soaked in and not create much mud. :)

Got back out, and kept digging! Dug the half of a musketball and horse buckle. Then it started to pour down rain again. Ran for the truck again. Checked radar yada yada. Rain slacked off. Winds kept up. Got out again and got swinging!

Finally I got a bouncy signal (likely on edge), and out popped a silver coin! Without bending over, I could see that it was THIN and knew that I'd broken the Spanish Silver Slump I've been in since January when I dug my 2nd Counterstamped 8 Reales.

silver in dirt.jpg

Turned out to be an 1807 Picayune (Half Real)! That was a year that I didn't have in my Spanish Silver collection. :headbang: Nice coin to boot. Probably lost in the 1810s, considering how much those small silver circulated.

real obverse.jpg

real reverse.jpg

No later than 10 mins after I dug the silver, it started to rain again. At that point I was worn out and drove home!

Decent little mess of finds to show for the effort:

all finds.jpg

2.JPG 3.JPG

Cheers,

Buck

Upvote 22

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of finds once again Buck, your efforts were rewarded with the great looking silver. Getting unscathed lead from the fields is a score, but I'm kind of surprised that done of the Enfield's aren't marked and hearing that they were an import from England something I never gave too much thought about and now it's tweaked the interest having some with a star inside.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Superior work and effort Buck. The enfield is amazing and just looks perfect. The Spanish 1/2 Real - great! That thin rim on edge made me remember a sight burned into my memory just last week. What a feeling! Congrats to you.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Spanish silver is always cool coming out of the dirt.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to get the little non find of a lifetime finds every now and again isn't it. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post...how many Spanish silvers do you have now?

This was the 59th Spanish Silver since 2012. I have dug 34 of them. Shangalang has dug 24. Digger Girl has 1.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superior work and effort Buck. The enfield is amazing and just looks perfect. The Spanish 1/2 Real - great! That thin rim on edge made me remember a sight burned into my memory just last week. What a feeling! Congrats to you.

Thanks so much, my friend! Congrats on your recent finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread