Another trip to the colonial DEEP...William III 1696 Halfpenny!! and an ID needed

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My plans changed at the last minute and rather than a 2 hour drive to check out some new spots, I ended up with about 4 hours to go back to my latest honey hole.

I spent 50% of the time trying to recover that large deep signal I left last time (where the pipe bowl was eyeballed) and still could not get to it. This is going to either be a BIG brass/copper/pewter items or a big piece of flat iron...I am hoping to at least see what it is at some point. I did manage to eyeball another broken bottle and recovered the base...I think it is a matter of time before a whole one comes out. Visibility is horrible in the hole as I could not see 3" in front of my mask.

After breaking the coin streak last trip, I started a new one today with a worn, but there, 1696 (or 98) William III Halfpenny (TERTIVS). This is the third William III coin from this spot and it did make me a happy camper.

I ended up with a few more musket balls and found a hole FULL of small shot (probably over a thousand there) if I decide to get bored and recover them all it could make for an interesting display. I did manage a few more buttons (one of the rarer ones from this site, an 1800s variety), a cast 1600s nipple button and a standard flat.

I managed a broken piece to an early buckle and then the WHAT IS IT brass item. It is an odd shape and something I feel like I have seen before. It is obviously broken on one end, but the other is intentional (as it tapers down to a point) any help is appreciated (Cru???)

Other than that, I managed some modern sinkers, a grouping of early nails, and some misc lead sheathing and melted blobs.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    769.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 117
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    505.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 107
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    535.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    483.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    473.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    431.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 14

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see a 1600s copper that you can Id bud. You kill it in the water man

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup looks like water finds…similar to some of the finds I got today…Congrats

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice finds, congrats! I may be wrong but the Brass piece appears to be a broken off piece from the rear of the trigger guard of an early muzzleloading (black powder) pistol that was more than likely locally Blacksmith/Gunsmith made.

Frank

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice finds, congrats! I may be wrong but the Brass piece appears to be a broken off piece from the rear of the trigger guard of an early muzzleloading (black powder) pistol that was more than likely locally Blacksmith/Gunsmith made.

Frank
That is a good guess...it just seemed a little narrow to me...though that thought did cross my mind. Could be...keep them coming.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HGD dang you cleaned up I see . You got the hole works and then some ,nice, vanzutphen

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good assortment of finds Dan, that big object seems to want you for the summer.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been searching for an hour now for the brass piece you posted. I don't think it's a gun part at all, in spite of the fact that the last photo has a frizzen look to it. (Are all three photos the same item? The last one looks different...)

Any rate, I'll keep searching.

Congrats on the fantastic water finds. Great to see a WMIII recovered underwater!

-Buck

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been searching for an hour now for the brass piece you posted. I don't think it's a gun part at all, in spite of the fact that the last photo has a frizzen look to it. (Are all three photos the same item? The last one looks different...)

Any rate, I'll keep searching.

Congrats on the fantastic water finds. Great to see a WMIII recovered underwater!

-Buck

Buck,

thanks man, yes all three are the same item (last one I took for a different angle in failing light). I know I have seen this before and just cant put a finger on it. Been going through all my colonial books as well. Most everything from this site has been late 1600s-1750s. This is the third William III from this site now

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful William! He doesn't show his face too often. Excellent hunt, man.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, sorry not a clue....

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good going on the 1600s copper, and all that lead!, the other items are pretty cool as well, love the buttons!!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! Could the mystery piece be part of a spur?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! Could the mystery piece be part of a spur?

When I dug it, I immediately thought spur as I know some of the period do not utilize a rowl, then I looked at the lack of symmetry as one end if tapered and the other sqaured and broken...will post a picture of what I think it might look like complete.

Dan

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perhaps this will help visulize
View attachment 1166191

Sort of looks like a part of a stirrup, but what really throws this theory is the worn points instead of being broken and if it had been it might of came from a cage style stirrup. Now I'm wondering if it's some part of a buckle frame?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort of looks like a part of a stirrup, but what really throws this theory is the worn points instead of being broken and if it had been it might of came from a cage style stirrup. Now I'm wondering if it's some part of a buckle frame?

Yes, has me perplexed too...it is too small for a stirrup the opening would only be about 2.5-3" at most

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread