A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Fridays Dig Site...

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another dig site! For those of you that saw my post from Friday you'll understand why I was anxious to get back to the site and finish digging, so that was the plan for today. BUT.. I figured I had a bit of a walk ahead of me so I may as well detect along the way, with a quarter mile still to go I came across a pretty decent signal. Soooo what ya gonna do, I had to dig it. Here is the result, they popped out of the hole one after another! It took a while to fight some of them out because of some serious tree roots, in fact the job is still not done and I need to go back and finish up with the right tools..

IMG_20150524_144445_hdr.jpg IMG_20150524_191027_hdr.jpg

Upvote 16

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know DUBS one trigger guard was enough but dang 5 you done hit the mother load side plate too and going back for more now that's what I call determination. Really unreal,vanzutphen

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Updated my reply to this on "What Is It" The sideplate appears to be from a British Sea Service pistol, and I think the guards are as well, not sure about the guides, but from their size they look right for the pistol as well... the wristplate could also have come from a pistol.... That many brass parts, the locks and barrels are likely nearby, you may have found an entire stash of pistols here....

service pistol.jpg

The butt caps you found earlier are also looking good for this type pistol...

Last edited:

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! How cool is that! Love digging up any part of a musket. Congrats on a really cool find and I hope you find more of them.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds! Now get out there and find the rest of the Pistols or Rifles. Even if you can't find most of the parts to assemble a working firearm, you might still have some valuable parts that folks need for restoration!

Frank

OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20150525_153545_hdr.jpg IMG_20150525_153600_hdr.jpg IMG_20150525_153614_hdr.jpg

I also found this object in the ocean just a few yards from the gun parts.. The only thing i can think of is that it may be a wheel hub for some kind of carriage or cart. The iron spike is about 8 inches long and the turned wood is about four or five inched in diameter..If anybody has any ideas please let me know..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that is uniquely awesome! Congrats! Rare unusual find! More of a back story and it may go banner!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:cool: Hmmm :icon_scratch: all those trigger guards , very unusual, and interesting . Great finds ! Whats your take on all of these parts ? possibly a lost case of pistols ?

:dontknow: What part of the country are you searching ? Worth watching this one ....

Dawg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1166827 View attachment 1166828 View attachment 1166829

I also found this object in the ocean just a few yards from the gun parts.. The only thing i can think of is that it may be a wheel hub for some kind of carriage or cart. The iron spike is about 8 inches long and the turned wood is about four or five inched in diameter..If anybody has any ideas please let me know..

I'm a little confused.....
"It took a while to fight some of them out because of some serious tree roots, in fact the job is still not done and I need to go back and finish up with the right tools.."
Yet.... "I also found this object in the ocean just a few yards from the gun parts.."
So you went from serious tree roots to the ocean in just a few yards?

Looks like they may have been spare parts rather than off complete guns since you didn't find any gun barrels.

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little confused.....
"It took a while to fight some of them out because of some serious tree roots, in fact the job is still not done and I need to go back and finish up with the right tools.."
Yet.... "I also found this object in the ocean just a few yards from the gun parts.."
So you went from serious tree roots to the ocean in just a few yards?

Looks like they may have been spare parts rather than off complete guns since you didn't find any gun barrels.
I have seen palm trees on a beach , in fact I wish I was under one now sipping a cold one with some sun bunnies . Imho .... we long time members wish posters would at least put their State in their avatar profile , life would be so much better if this location info was posted . Not necessarily exact locales just the State . Agreement with Steve , No barrels would indicate more mystery .:icon_scratch:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm how should I put this ...... I guess WOW fits as good as anything

Top Member Reactions