Shield Nickel and a King’s Farewell

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG This weekend I had the chance to get out to a few spots – first, the beach (where I had the pleasure of meeting T-Net regular leprechaun) and then to an old field that I’ve had lots of luck with over the past year.
Saturday was a sad day for me. I am a huge fan of the blues and in particular of the legendary B.B. King, who some of you probably know recently passed away. His music was on my mind on Saturday as I walked along the beach, knowing that his funeral was that day in Las Vegas. After I had the opportunity to meet and talk a bit with leprechaun (a great guy), I got a solid hit on the slope and pulled out what I immediately discounted as a piece of junk jewelry. In the pouch it went. When I got home and started to go through my finds, I realized that the piece of junk jewelry was actually a small crown with a heart in the center of it. And then it clicked to me- this was Mr. King’s logo! I smiled from ear to ear. Rest in Peace, King of the Blues.
Sunday I headed out the old field and tried the same section that yielded the Shriner’s cufflink that I recently posted about as well as the 1861 IHC. I got a garbled, deep, but repeating signal in the same general area, so I had to dig it. When I got the target, I couldn’t make it out. I didn’t notice that it was bigger than a penny- so imagine my surprise when I got to my car to take a closer look at it and found that it was my second ever shield nickel! I unfortunately dinged it with the digger but it still has some nice detail on the “5” side- and I was able to get a date of 1868 off of the other side (after much agonizing with magnifying glasses).
Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day weekend and remembered those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

Upvote 7

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool coincidence and great story. Nice stuff bud

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice surprise finds! A farewell message from BB King and a grand old nickel! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions