Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First two finds at a new permission, an old house that was demo'd this past weekend. Originally thought the house was 18th century, but after the demo, now thinking the foundation may have been 18th but the rest of the house was definitely late 19th. After these came out, every other find was a Memorial cent or aluminum can shards.

Actually, the padlock was dug in a spot that would have been under the house but on the outside of the original foundation. Can anyone date it in its current condition? It's in an ACV bath now.

Attachments

• 1432603312355.jpg
    1432603312355.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 8

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the lock but can't help with dating it. Those tokens are usually personalized. I think they come from the Smithsonian and possibly other venues like that. You can have them made with your name on them. Can you read anything on it?

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not yet, haven't cleaned it yet. The lock was on my bucket list.

I was so exhausted from the heat when I got home that I didn't bother hitting the other site I wanted to go to today, nor did I do any cleaning when I got home.

Last edited:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not yet, haven't cleaned it yet. The lock was on my bucket list.

I was so exhausted from the heat when I got home that I didn't bother hitting the other site I wanted to go to today, nor did I do any cleaning when I got home.

Hard to tell just what your lock looks like but, I just found a old lock that looks a lot like yours. Mine turned out to be an old Western Maryland Railroad lock.
Here's a couple pics of mine and a pic from online what it would have looked like newer.

Not saying you have the same lock I found. In my search there were other railroad locks very similar, could be an old railroad lock?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a railroad nearby that dates back to the mid-1800s. I guess it's possible :) Thanks!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look what I found yall dang ole lock and a big rusted one too. Those old locks are neat ,cool find,vanzutphen

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First two finds at a new permission, an old house that was demo'd this past weekend. Originally thought the house was 18th century, but after the demo, now thinking the foundation may have been 18th but the rest of the house was definitely late 19th. After these came out, every other find was a Memorial cent or aluminum can shards.

Actually, the padlock was dug in a spot that would have been under the house but on the outside of the original foundation. Can anyone date it in its current condition? It's in an ACV bath now.

I'm Thinking mid - late 1800's For time period.
I also had one on my GIS/ Bucket list & dug one of similar size in March, did electrolysis on it then coated it in poly (as it is Iron like yours ) .
It turned out well ,I just wanted to get as much of the rust from the inside as possible before coating ,got a -lot of it out but not all .
Hopefully it will out last me. If kept Dry .
It has a Distinctive 'Heart Shape'.
Pic's would be better so hopefully I can take some later & show U the results.
Davers

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry guys, I haven't been on much this year.

I took the lock out of the acv when the iron began to deteriorate and coated it in anti rust enamel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread