Ornate Musket Escutcheon Plate, George III Copper, Silvers

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what started out as a three day hunt turned into about 1.5 days of hunting spread over 4 days for me - real life just got in the way! While the first day saw my best find right alongside all the trade axes popping up, it was a good effort put forth and I had a lot of good digs for the time I was out there.

My best find was this ornate musket escutcheon thumbplate which popped up just a couple feet from the cache of trade axes. While I can't find any info on it, given the proximity to the axes it's most likely french and dates to the early to mid 1700s.
IMG_6790.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG
Also dug a few coins, including this george III and 1880 5 cent silver, along with a couple 1893 large cents and a couple 1940s silver dimes.
IMG_6792.JPG
And this WWI era artillery hat badge.
IMG_6793.JPG
Group photo:
IMG_6788.JPG

Upvote 21

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice assortment of finds. Congrats.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that comes to mind too as the last better multi hunt....unreal 6 years...hard to believe!!

Yeah that makes a pretty incredible display and story to go with it. I think we have to go all the way back to 2009 and the NJ site since 3 of us had a multi day quality hunt like that. Hard to believe that was over 5 years ago, closer to 6!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great escutcheon, and it definitely fits in with the trade axes. It being an openwork design also adds to it, and I'm pretty sure since a marked 22nd Regiment one did not get up top, this one will not.... but make no mistake it's worthy. I'll even go a step further and say because I've dug a few trade axes to me that is the find of the hunt, even over the 6 axes in the same hole. I'd rather have that in my case than more iron.
As soon as I dug it I figured it was something pretty cool, and it's going to make a great display piece. And the fact it popped out after 8 total trade axes, there was already some excitement going on so that made it even better! It's a piece I'll appreciate and that'll help me remember a pretty cool site!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I dug it I figured it was something pretty cool, and it's going to make a great display piece. And the fact it popped out after 8 total trade axes, there was already some excitement going on so that made it even better! It's a piece I'll appreciate and that'll help me remember a pretty cool site!

Yes one that we'll hit again! even with all that garbage...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing French as well, I love the face at the base of the item!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread