Ornate Musket Escutcheon Plate, George III Copper, Silvers

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what started out as a three day hunt turned into about 1.5 days of hunting spread over 4 days for me - real life just got in the way! While the first day saw my best find right alongside all the trade axes popping up, it was a good effort put forth and I had a lot of good digs for the time I was out there.

My best find was this ornate musket escutcheon thumbplate which popped up just a couple feet from the cache of trade axes. While I can't find any info on it, given the proximity to the axes it's most likely french and dates to the early to mid 1700s.
IMG_6790.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG
Also dug a few coins, including this george III and 1880 5 cent silver, along with a couple 1893 large cents and a couple 1940s silver dimes.
IMG_6792.JPG
And this WWI era artillery hat badge.
IMG_6793.JPG
Group photo:
IMG_6788.JPG

Upvote 21

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very nice assortment of relics!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tha plate is cool no doubt, but think I'd still prefer to dig the hat badge.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
You made up for the time with quality. The escution is different, I've never seen a pierced one before, it may be a mount from furniture or leatherwork, but it does have the look
What I would give for the time to detect these days , glad to see you guys doing well!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made up for the time with quality. The escution is different, I've never seen a pierced one before, it may be a mount from furniture or leatherwork, but it does have the look
What I would give for the time to detect these days , glad to see you guys doing well!
It is different than anything I've been able to find, but it has the exact same curve and mounting pin as my other musket thumbplates. It's a pretty unique design either way.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow some really nice relics HH

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this item from ur picture hinged? I cropped the main picture down. I ask because it looks like something I've found and I have no idea what it is. Mines not hinged though. I can include a pic of mine if you'd like.

Attachments

• 1432686586538.jpg
    1432686586538.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 367

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a great few days with all of doing quite well…Holding that piece I would certainly say an early french musket thumb plate…with crown on top???

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be the inner works of a shoe or knee buckle..likely tombac …believe romeo found one similar..would be early french as well

Is this item from ur picture hinged? I cropped the main picture down. I ask because it looks like something I've found and I have no idea what it is. Mines not hinged though. I can include a pic of mine if you'd like.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a great few days with all of doing quite well…Holding that piece I would certainly say an early french musket thumb plate…with crown on top???
I'd say it is, I've been looking up some of the pistols from that era and they have some pretty intricate escutcheon plates on them, both as a thumb plate and a side plate on the stock. Has a crown on top with a fleur di lis right below, winged guys on each side and a face at the bottom.
Something like this type of gun maybe
Decorated_Queen_Anne_pistol.jpg

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love that old Canadian silver!, very cool relics too

awesome hunt

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happened to Georgie's nose? That's the weirdest Geo III coin I've seen. Nice finds overall!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to Georgie's nose? That's the weirdest Geo III coin I've seen. Nice finds overall!
Geuss he got a nose job for that one! I think it just delaminated, it's too bad because there would have been nice detail.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great and varied collection of finds! That thumb plate is awesome.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great escutcheon, and it definitely fits in with the trade axes. It being an openwork design also adds to it, and I'm pretty sure since a marked 22nd Regiment one did not get up top, this one will not.... but make no mistake it's worthy. I'll even go a step further and say because I've dug a few trade axes to me that is the find of the hunt, even over the 6 axes in the same hole. I'd rather have that in my case than more iron.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys really had a group of good hunts. If the ornate piece turns out to be what you think it is, it would be my favorite of your finds.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great escutcheon, and it definitely fits in with the trade axes. It being an openwork design also adds to it, and I'm pretty sure since a marked 22nd Regiment one did not get up top, this one will not.... but make no mistake it's worthy. I'll even go a step further and say because I've dug a few trade axes to me that is the find of the hunt, even over the 6 axes in the same hole. I'd rather have that in my case than more iron.

Couldn't agree with you more...I told him that day too!! However 6 trade axes in one hole is amazing...we all did well that day!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't agree with you more...I told him that day too!! However 6 trade axes in one hole is amazing...we all did well that day!

Yeah that makes a pretty incredible display and story to go with it. I think we have to go all the way back to 2009 and the NJ site since 3 of us had a multi day quality hunt like that. Hard to believe that was over 5 years ago, closer to 6!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread