worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Went back to the farmfield I've been hunting,boy it's dusty too,got a few buckles,cool bag seal,suspender clip,my first heel plate,buckshot,gold gilded brooch.

029.JPG
018.JPG 019.JPG

026.JPG 025.JPG

Best find was this 1858 Half Dime...I believe they were deliberate cuts.

001.JPG 003.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 13

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh the reeding--yes clever way to stop people from taking shavings from coins! :thumbsup: Yes I doubt that dime was ever accepted in a transaction again. It seems as though it was intentionally defaced by someone that was either bored or wanted to see if they could cut a silver coin (or both :laughing7:).

the only coins that don't have reeding are nickels and pennies, because they were never produced in silver. with the exception of the nickel for a few years during ww2

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh the reeding--yes clever way to stop people from taking shavings from coins! :thumbsup: Yes I doubt that dime was ever accepted in a transaction again. It seems as though it was intentionally defaced by someone that was either bored or wanted to see if they could cut a silver coin (or both :laughing7:).

yes although the half Dime could have been a victim of Clipping for silver.
The fact it was chipped Twice, either means someone bought something for 1 or 2 Cents &
nobody had change, and the first chip was too light yet.
Or it was simply done out of Boredom

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could see it being cut in half for 2-1/2 cents in change or possibly even in quarters for 1-1/4 cents but those silver slivers for a cent would have meant someone got the short end of the deal :laughing7: Interesting thought though Jeff--that never dawned on me. Of course the other possibility is that one of those old-fashioned rotary lawnmowers with a sharp blade could have done it too. I found a dime cut in three pieces by one--and found all three pieces in three different holes over two days :icon_thumleft: Although with the cuts on his coin being at almost right angles, it seems likely that it was defaced with a hand tool.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone may have needed a little piece for a silver soldering job ? all speculation of course. As good as any other theory.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw man!! I love that coin! But I wish I could talk to the person who cut it!!!

Nice saves!!

fano169

Jul 23, 2012
Could have used to tighten screws , maybe that's why there are cuts in the half dime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread