Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well was able to do a 3 day hunt between hunthicks and an other detectorist who found the 6 trade axes in one hole and I was not disappointed….

Day 1
Right after the 6 Trade Axes came out of the ground I nailed 2 of them in same hole not far from the the others, they may have been dragged further down from the plough…I also managed pieces from larger Trade Axes...This same day I was also able to pull out yet another 2nd American Rev War button (wish it was complete) and the funny part is that it's far from the others that I have found, that's what's great about our hobby…just never know what we are going to find…also managed a Victorian 1871 - 10 cent silver and bale seals along with the usual musket balls and coins

Day 2
Started of early morning with a big bang by getting this 8 pound cannonball…The funny thing was my detecting buddy said I would love to find an 8 pounder today just about an hour before….:tongue3: Also managed a nice complete spigot (identical to one I got years back) musket parts and a one Stiver coin with musket balls and a unmarked bale seal...

Day 3
Was a recon mission to check some of the sites we hadn't had a chance to check in the fall but turned out to be a bust until we hit musket ball beach, a spot that you wouldn't guess was there and that's why we look outside the box…Also found a field at the end of the day with more musket gun parts, pewter cup (what's left of it) musket balls but the had to leave early so will save it for another day…. In all I pulled out 2 pounds of musket balls over the 3 days...

Thanks for looking and also including of some pics of the crap we walk in with this hobby... my buddy in the thick brush and me walking in seaweed and mud on the beach…yup this is an easy hobby people say, just look at the junk I found….

Attachments

• Trade1.jpg
    Trade1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 414
  • trade cleaned.jpg
    trade cleaned.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Vicky field.jpg
    Vicky field.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 399
  • Vicky2.jpg
    Vicky2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 419
  • American.jpg
    American.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 403
  • BAle.jpg
    BAle.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 431
  • Cannon1.jpg
    Cannon1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 401
  • cannon clean.jpg
    cannon clean.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 404
  • 1820.jpg
    1820.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 399
  • Deer.jpg
    Deer.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 356
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 400
  • musketball2.jpg
    musketball2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 384
  • Spigot.jpg
    Spigot.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 134
  • Stiver.jpg
    Stiver.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 394
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Marcel.jpg
    Marcel.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 390.jpeg
    390.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 395
  • Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 17

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the 6 axes in one hole, I've been checking back here for this post!

Excellent haul and awesome spigot... I've been wanting to find one of those but I keep finding modern brass hose spigots. ha Those two axes are the best though. In the group shot, whats the axe\hatchet type thing above the two trade axes? I've found a couple of those and thought they were some sort of roofing hatchet\hammer.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic hunt. All the trade axes on one site is highly unusual.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are exactly right, it'a a antique roofing hatchet/hammer...crazy though, thought I had a 3rd trade axe when I pulled it out....

Since the 6 axes in one hole, I've been checking back here for this post!

Excellent haul and awesome spigot... I've been wanting to find one of those but I keep finding modern brass hose spigots. ha Those two axes are the best though. In the group shot, whats the axe\hatchet type thing above the two trade axes? I've found a couple of those and thought they were some sort of roofing hatchet\hammer.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good 3 day season!

northwolf

May 21, 2015
Milan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 euroace
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That field is a park amusement for metal detectorist and history hunters !!!!! :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a great post. Great story, fantastic photos--and excellent finds! Love the Rev War button, cannonball, and trade axes! I didn't know that those style of spigots were 18th century, but perhaps they are. It may cause me to re-evaluate the ones I've dug down here!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I think those spigot were 19th century, found in same area but higher on a hill...just around more french musketballs :) ...

This was a great post. Great story, fantastic photos--and excellent finds! Love the Rev War button, cannonball, and trade axes! I didn't know that those style of spigots were 18th century, but perhaps they are. It may cause me to re-evaluate the ones I've dug down here!

Cheers,

Buck

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow fantastic hunting, love the trade axes and 8 pound ball!

Steve

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great adventure you guys had.
I like that bale seal, assuming french, I only find the smae one over, and over.
The Vicky Dime is Sweet find, and
The 2nd button is a nice find as well, some edge loss, but the part that counts is still good.

I'm finally getting out on an adventure myself for 2 days, friday, and saturday, and I am expecting between us there will be a good find. We'll see.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rick, yes french with the fleur de lys on it…I haven't found the same one twice and now at 60 bale seals…Best of luck on your 2 day hunt…can't wait to see what you post!!

What a great adventure you guys had.
I like that bale seal, assuming french, I only find the smae one over, and over.
The Vicky Dime is Sweet find, and
The 2nd button is a nice find as well, some edge loss, but the part that counts is still good.

I'm finally getting out on an adventure myself for 2 days, friday, and saturday, and I am expecting between us there will be a good find. We'll see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread