Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a day.

I've been taking this shortcut into the city for the last 25 years, and out on this long lonely backwoods road, is a cluster of old houses. One of them had an old tavern sign on the side and 1799 for the year. On my way back from Home Depot yesterday, I realized that I had my Deus and all my gear behind the seat, so I sucked it up and turned into the drive.

The place was well cared-for, but no signs of life. As I walked up to press the door bell, I was dive-bombed by a squawking mother robin. I'd seen it before. They pull a nutty when you get too close to their nests. Thing is, I looked all around, and there was no nest, yet this crazy robin kept coming at me. Then I looked up and saw her perfect little nest, with four perfect little beaks sticking out, resting on the porch lantern. I backed away to give her some room.

Then I heard, "Around the back!" Saying "hell-oo-oo" in the sing-songy way they do around here, I was greeted by half a head peering over the back fence like Kilroy was here. Older gent, 70-ish as far as I could tell by the frail but smooth voice and the white hair. I introduced myself, and told him that I just lived over in the next town, and got right to the point, which was to ask permission to hunt his property. Surprisingly, he said sure I could right off the bat. The whole time, never once did he raise his face above the fence. Kinda wierd, but hey.

Come to find out this fella was real nice. He was a retired engineer, and lived at this old tavern since 1967. He showed me where the original road came up across what is now his front lawn, and he showed me where an old barn stood, but it was sold and dismantled and re-erected a few towns over. He told me the deliveries where made at a certain spot by the rock wall along the road, and that I should definitely check there. He showed me the old foundations of the barn, and he showed me where areas were filled and where areas were left untouched. Talk about a wellspring of information!

Now get this, he told me he'd tell his neighbors - all of which had houses which were as old or older than his place! Actually two of his neighbors called him while I was detecting and asked him what was going on. He told them that I was looking for a dead body. LOL!

The guy talked to me so much that I was there for almost two hours, yet I only got about 25 minutes of real detecting, of which I spent on the front lawn and driveway. You can see what I got here. Not much but I am confident that this junk is just the Tavern's robin, trying to scare me away from her real treasures!

I got two wheats (1941, and 1952D) out of all this, and a pewter button. Mixed in is some '80s dimes.

Now get this.

I come around and hailed him again (he was busy gardening), and showed him what I found. He was rather tickled to think that I actually found something. Then he led me across the street to his neighbor's house, and showed me into their house. Apparently they are all super-friendly there, and routinely share meals and watch movies and just enjoy being neighborly. I felt like I was in a time capsule.

The neighbor told me I can detect his place anytime I want. The guy at the tavern told me to come back anytime. He also told me that the house at the end of his property was an old boarding house, and the owner was another friendly neighbor, and that he'd take me there to introduce me next time I came over!

It's no two Morgan's in a hole, and I feel ashamed of posting a picture of such c-c-crap, but I feel like a door had opened today, and I just have t brag about it... well, gloat even... just a little. Of course with my luck, I'll probably never find anything more than a crappy pre-64 Rosie. But... I could probably spend every day there until snow flies, and frankly I think that I'll be stupid if I don't. Virgin ground!

Last edited:
Upvote 29

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the better posts in a longtime, and it has a lot of upside to it as well. Congrats on sucking it up and knocking on the door, today maybe didn't show off well in the finds department, but there's some dreaming ahead for that neighbourhood.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any neighborhood with that history will give up a few great early finds. Sometimes the hardest part is the permission and you've cleared that hurdle. Good luck buddy

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a great story and hope you fill up your truck with finds. Aren't old people great fountains of information.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey sometimes knowing you have a site is more important than your preliminary finds, sounds like you have an "in", that's banner in my books
good job!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting the amazing permissions. Your time was well spent chatting with the locals. Can't wait to see some fantastic finds from that area.:headbang:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story........!! Ya never know what will happen once that foot gets in the door..........

Sorta like the first date with the one that becomes your spouse!! :laughing7:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! that is great stuff - you got lot's of permission on possibly virgin ground - Man, that is called living the dream my friend !

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done. You must be an agreeable guest there.
Not saying to, but thinking fresh bread or cookies next time, and a Christmas card or visit!
Either way, congrats. Them kind folks might be the greatest treasure there but you'll have to find out.....

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing tale of discovery! Wish people were that nice where I live. I'm glad to give you your one thousandth like. :thumbsup: Hope you find some treasure in those new permissions!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Greatest Story I have read in a long time. Reminds me when I 1st started detecting in the 1980's. I live in Charlotte,N.C. and was seeking permission to detect a yard. The house was built before the Civil War, the lady came to the door and then we started talking for almost 3 hours. She kept saying that all I wanted to do is see her Chandelier. I kept telling her I wanted permission to detect the yard, still talking I was getting tired and I started to lean against the Front Column Post, remind you I was probably in my early 40's and she was nearing the Century mark. Then she told me about her Mother one day when (2 ) Union Solders approached the house asking for food , she told them that they had to sing ( Dixie ) after they sang Dixie ,she gave them a Quarter to share, I was thinking how many more Quarters could be in this yard from that 1800's period. P/S she never gave me pernission to detect. goldnugget

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a cool story and a wonderful connection you made there

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one lucky guy!! Not too many friendly folks out there. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds. Something tells me there are some goodies out there.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrads on all, you made a lot of good friends and opened many doors to new places...

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement! I am positive that this is virgin territory. Like I said, the owner has been right there since 1967, and he said that no one has ever stopped to ask at his place or any of the others. My fondest hope for here is to pull a couple good coppers, but Lady Luck will determine that!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job Higgy. I hope to see a wellspring of finds from you shortly! GL&HH.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story, thank you for sharing.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have made a wonderful connection. Now just under the surface of the ground is the wealth of a lifetime. Many years to come of getting to know them....Congratulations!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The treasure of detecting is not what you find but the hunt it's self.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread