First SILVER after hunting off and on for about 15 years!!!!

Apr 15, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a chance to escape the seemingly unending North Texas rain storms, I was able to get out and metal detect these past 2 days! YAY!!

Using my Whites IDX Pro, I visited a large neighborhood pond/park that I quickly realized had never been metal detected before. In about 3 hours of muddy hunting there, I found $5.10 in clad, 2 good usable lead fishing sinkers, and a myriad of pull tab trash etc.

Then yesterday i revisited the sand volleyball pits at my church I hunted over Spring Break. It was here that I found my 2 "firsts".

I started out running the side closest to the parking lot where everyone puts their shoes etc. I distinctly remember a strange quarter signal that I dug last time (a soft beep/ping instead of a solid beep) that I dug last time and after a deep dig I gave up assuming it was a deep trash target. his time, I decided to dig the hole again as I was curious and tipped by a friend who found a silver quarter that deeper silver items sometimes don't give a normal solid beep signal. I guess I was just slightly off on my hole the previous time as this time I was rewarded with my first silver. It turned up to be an immaculate James Avery sterling silver ring about 4 inches down. I couldn't believe my luck.

Then as I hunted on, I dug m last signal of the day (rang up like another quarter) and realized it was a bicentennial quarter. As we all have, I've found plenty of them in pocket change, but I have never found one metal detecting before.

My combined clad from the two locations comes out to $9.63.
The Lover's Knot Ring is listed on the James Avery website at $60, but by weight (0.20 ounces) comes out to be $3.35!!!

I have a bunch of silver coins I bought many years ago when the price of silver was down in hopes that one day when I am older, I can pass them on to my family or sell them for a tidy profit.

With the silver jewelry and coins that you guys find, what do yall do with them? Save them and sell them to a Gold and Silver store at the end of each year, sell them as used on eBay, etc. or just save them as a neat find?

I have no clue what to do with mine.

Coins edited.jpg Ring dirty edited.jpg Ring clean edited.jpg

Upvote 12

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your ground should be real soft for awhile now.. good luck and congrats.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the finds, and the rain.

I toss all my finds in a box, It's hard to sell my treasure.

Some day I might pull a Forrest Fenn, and bury them again for some one else to find.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds! Glad you had the determination to keep trying. Perseverance always pays...congrats.
Jim

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on that long-awaited silver, it is a beaut! Wherever folks set up impromptu volleyball nets, badminton nets, soccer games, frisbee toss, etc...that is where the rings will be, so happy hunting. Sub8-)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring, congrats on the silver. Rings can give off strange signals, usually broken because it isn't a solid piece of metal.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!!! I save all my "relics"... My dug clad is saved until the end of year, rolled, deposited into the bank, then flipped into solid silver..rounds, SAE's, maple leafs, pandas...whatever I can get my hands on.

OP
OP
Andrews_Adventures_SC
Apr 15, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!! My guess is I'll just carry the ring with my on future hunts as a "good luck" charm for more silver in the future, as I'm sure I'll also do with my first silver coin.

That's actually not a bad idea now that I think of it, a "good luck" metal detecting charm necklace or somethin like that. Can't do a bracelet as it would interfere with checking plug pieces by hand over the coil.

torreya

Aug 15, 2013
Congrats on the silver! I also use the IDX pro..and I find that small silver rings often show up in the 10¢ to 1¢ column. Large silver comes in at the 25¢ column. Love this machine

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver. I keep all of mine, & display them. My wife & 2 kids will have to figure out what to do with them some day !!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver after 15 years? Man I get down if I don't find 3 or 4 a month. All the coins are mine and I save them. All the jewelry gold and silver I save up then the wife gets another piece of new jewelry. Kind like I get ripped off on this deal, but she lets me go so I have to pay some how. All the clad I get I turn in at the end of the year, usually rock tumble it in gravel and then use a coinstar. That bank gets mad with it. Congrats again and may this be the start of a silver streak for you

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find for sure ! I got one of those too in a park in Las Vegas - I'm not surprised that you found it in Texas since
James Avery is based out of Kerrville ,TX.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver . I tumble and roll all my clad then buy spot silver coins with it . Usually rosies or Washington's , and my silver gets put in the safe for my retirement fund lol . Not really sure yet what im going to do with my wheats ,IHs and other coppers

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver save :occasion14: And I thought my area was bad, surely you will start finding more now ! :headbang:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver knot ring congrats!

I keep all my silver, gold and odd items as my little trophies. The clad I clean and use to get metal detecting stuff.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the good day hunting. I like days like that. Plenty of targets on virgin territory:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Andrews_Adventures_SC
Apr 15, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!!

Have you had yours custom ground balanced? Do you have a second smaller search coil? I've been researching trying to find one and I've had no luck as of yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread