Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW Inaugural Button, Fugio Copper, & Trime

Got a new permission recently and was able to get a 4 hour hunt in last week and a 4 hour hunt in today. Hearsay of a school house from the early 1800s is what originally peaked my interest, but as I explored the property I realized there was more than an early 1800s school house here.

Day 1

A few minutes into the hunt I pulled my biggest flat button yet. Also managed to put my shovel right in the middle of it. Ouch. The next couple of hours produced an early 1900s spill (wheat and 1910 V Nickel), a couple more buttons, and a lead seal of some sort. As I was making my way out of the woods towards a pasture, I pulled a shallow fatty IH. A couple of inches away another shallow signal turned out to be my fifth ever flying eagle cent. Third coin of this spill, a couple more inches away, rang a low VDI. Bingo! 1852 Trime! (First bucket list item of the day). Finally make it out into the pasture for what I call the desperate dash (desperate dash is when you're ready to go to the car but you take some quick swings over a couple of nice looking places you passed on the way in to see if you can mop up a couple of good finds before you leave - maybe I'm weird but it's almost like I'm worried the spot is gonna disappear before I get a chance to go back). Anyway, got a deep signal out in the pasture 10 minutes before leaving. Bingo! Fugio Copper (1787)! (Second bucket list find of the day).
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432868349.945733.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432868367.596583.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432868387.099008.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432868474.289090.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432868503.808319.jpg

Day 2

All pasture today. First couple of finds were small buckles. Followed by a gilt button and a silver Rosie that managed to sneak in there. The final hours were pretty quiet except for a another large flat button. I tossed it in my pouch with the rest of the finds. When got home later and started to clean, I noticed an eagle on the big flat button. I've found quite a few flat buttons but most are plain. This one had me puzzled so I tossed a photo and measurements on the "what is it" forum. The first response shocked me, so I googled 34mm button with eagle. Bingo! GW Inaugural Button (I think)! Third bucket list item from this property.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432869208.522230.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432869225.603140.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432869242.304539.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432869260.922679.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432869280.974124.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432869293.325402.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432869315.011312.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Upvote 26
OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to do what ever is going to be best for display and preservation. Sounds like I need to get it straightened. I've sent out a couple of emails, including one to Robert per Ahab8. Waiting on responses and direction on what to do with it now.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds Keith.
Those 2 finds are high on my bucket list. .
Definitely get it straighten .
George

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keith,

First of all congratulations on an amazing set of finds! As Ahab said there is a guy out there running a site for GW buttons who has a wealth of information. This is probably the link he had in mind or at least one of the very good ones:

George Washington Inaugural Buttons

I'd ID the button before you consider straightening it out as you want to determine the rarity before doing something like that. It's still an open field with new variations being discovered. If you decide to go the route of straightening the button (nice for posterity and display) make sure its not an ultra rare button and also get plenty of references from the guy doing the work. I have seen some fine work done of CW plates in the past. It's worth investing a few dollars in the right man for this job.

You got my banner vote! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
To be honest I don't know much about them. Can you have them straightened and who would do it?

Keith - if you need a strong recommendation for someone to use for straightening your button, let me know. He's currently working on restoring my 1700s sword guard and has done amazing work for others that I have personally seen. But like others have said, you might need to get confirmation on the rarity and potential value before proceeding with any restorative work.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great couple of hunts Keith! Congrats on all the bucket list finds. How does the Fugio look? You didn't post a close up of it.

OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great couple of hunts Keith! Congrats on all the bucket list finds. How does the Fugio look? You didn't post a close up of it.

The Fugio Copper isn't in great condition for obvious reasons. Obverse - the meridian sun is visible as well as 178 of the 1787 date. The last 7 is on the other half of the coin still waiting to be found. Reverse - 7 of the 13 linked circles are visible as well as part of the small center circle and part of the text - "United States" "We are one"
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432920317.323099.jpg Obverse
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432920368.010558.jpg Reverse

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you found the much rarer Fugio Half Cent! :laughing7: Still a great find as I think a cut coin has more character. That coin wasn't cut out of boredom, it was cut to make change. The other half of that coin probably went on its merry way in commerce to another part of the state or another state.

Someone is going to post the trite "now go find the other half," but it's highly unlikely that it's anywhere in the area.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the extremely nice finds! WOW...

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call that just tearing it up. Enough there to make half a dozen successful hunts! Congrats!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting to see that chicken hawk design on a button myself. Congrats on getting one! That's an awesome find. :occasion14:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner and a half!!! Congrats on such an amazing hunt, any one of the finds in the title of your post would make my month! :)

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats on a great couple of hunts, the GW is real cool, straight or not straighten :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you found the much rarer Fugio Half Cent! :laughing7: Still a great find as I think a cut coin has more character. That coin wasn't cut out of boredom, it was cut to make change. The other half of that coin probably went on its merry way in commerce to another part of the state or another state.

Someone is going to post the trite "now go find the other half," but it's highly unlikely that it's anywhere in the area.

I agree! the cut coin is a more interesting story. I knew Spanish silver was commonly cut, but I was surprised to see a copper coin cut.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may not have been done as often as it was with silver, but it was done believe it or not. I found a half a large cent a couple years ago in a farm field in NY state. My first cut copper! Someone used the trite expression one me "Now go find the other half" like that may actually happen -- she obviously had no idea that these were used in trade as half cents. :laughing7:

I agree! the cut coin is a more interesting story. I knew Spanish silver was commonly cut, but I was surprised to see a copper coin cut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread