CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew , that one screams history ! :smileinbox: boing .... ding dong , we have another Winner ! 8-)

dawg

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You probably didn't know it when you dug it but that is a find of a lifetime. Spectactular button and incredible recovery of early American history. Congrats!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INFO: This is actually an enlisted mans button, made from the mold of the officers pattern. Officers buttons were of silver sheeted brass, whereas the enlisted mans were of pewter. Info was from Troianis' book. BOY.....would he be interested in this one!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I nominated this one for banner,what a rare find,congrats!

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Congrats on the button. Being from the midwest don't know much about revolutionary war buttons,only what i see posted on here. When the big dogs says it's a BANNER find then it gets my vote also.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find. Just leaves me at a loss for words. Big time banner.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find right there! Exceptional condition for a Rev War pewter button. My banner vote is going in as soon as I write this. A couple people have told you to coat it with Elmer's glue. You do want to coat it to prevent cracking and flaking of the pewter, but you want to use Elmer's DILUTED with water, not straight Elmer's glue. Mix up a batch 50/50 water and Elmer's and practice on an old junk pewter button or spoon first.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does coating a rare and valuable button with the Elmer's mixture devalue it? I'm sure Steve knows his stuff but you might want to double check that before coating it with something.

Awesome find right there! Exceptional condition for a Rev War pewter button. My banner vote is going in as soon as I write this. A couple people have told you to coat it with Elmer's glue. You do want to coat it to prevent cracking and flaking of the pewter, but you want to use Elmer's DILUTED with water, not straight Elmer's glue. Mix up a batch 50/50 water and Elmer's and practice on an old junk pewter button or spoon first.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does coating a rare and valuable button with the Elmer's mixture devalue it? I'm sure Steve knows his stuff but you might want to double check that before coating it with something.

If he doesn't cost it he will likely be left with nothing. It's the standard process for pewter buttons. Pewter hates being pulled from its cozy damp dirt home. I actually pack all of my copper and pewter finds in some of the moist dirt that it came from until I get home to keep them from flaking. It can happen very quickly

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INFO: This is actually an enlisted mans button, made from the mold of the officers pattern. Officers buttons were of silver sheeted brass, whereas the enlisted mans were of pewter. Info was from Troianis' book. BOY.....would he be interested in this one!!

I think you mean.... this is an enlisted for the 2nd pattern, which I don't think has anything to do with the officer button.... but I only said that, because the main thing I want to add is a caked up brass 1 piece button can certainly look that way.... and just because there's no examples in the book does not at all mean it wouldn't be possible because things that no one has ever seen before still do turn up. Chances are it is pewter, but don't seal it unless you are 100% sure, because if it happen to be brass it would clean up much better.... and of course be something very special.

PS: My suggesting to double check the metal is a a testament to how good it looks for pewter with all the edge there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread