Outbacker

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lads, one piece of advice, if you find an old soup can, DON'T THROW IT AWAY!!!! Detecting old (1799) homestead and found lots of old empty steel cans, ie soup, coffee, etc.....was almost ready to leave area when when of the cans I went to throw one of the cans I found away, it went "KATHUNK"........figure trash within trash but opened the lid and wrapped in oilskin was the most beautiful 1901 twenty dollar gold piece with a lovely "O" mint mark......yes the heart did a skippy.....but just remember if you are in a trashy area.....Always check the questionable!!!

Upvote 8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's crazy. Can we see some pics of this golden behemoth please? Killer find

OP
OP
O

Outbacker

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol posting on friends computer with no way to post pix (dayamit) but its a beauty looks almost AU, guess amidst all the trash I had been finding Lady Luck decided to smile on me!!

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like an awesome find, but you should double check the date as I don't think they minted a 1901 O twenty dollar gold coin.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I would have passed out if I found that coin in an old junk can. You know the rules around here.........you have to post pictures of this incredible coin - we want to see it!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get with a buddy who's a touch more high tech than you are ( 15 - 20 year olds know all this stuff !) Get some pics up here
you really can't come around here and say " I've found the Holy Grail " and then just go on your merry way like that .
(it's true ,there is no 1901 -O U.S. Twenty Dollar gold piece )

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I can get photos up for you if you want. I will PM you my Email and you could send me the photos...

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
According to your profile this is your second double eagle, any photos of your first? Would be cool to see some of the morgans you found too.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To be a counterfeit, as the word was mentioned above, the 'coin' has to be an imitation of something else; i.e. a real coin. But if there is no real `1910-O US$20 coin, then the item is referred to as a fantasy 'coin'.

No doubt a beautiful fantasy coin.
Don......

Last edited by a moderator:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats! Wish we could see it, so I can drool on my screen.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop the attacks...

Lads, one piece of advice, if you find an old soup can, DON'T THROW IT AWAY!!!! Detecting old (1799) homestead and found lots of old empty steel cans, ie soup, coffee, etc.....was almost ready to leave area when when of the cans I went to throw one of the cans I found away, it went "KATHUNK"........figure trash within trash but opened the lid and wrapped in oilskin was the most beautiful 1901 twenty dollar gold piece with a lovely "O" mint mark......yes the heart did a skippy.....but just remember if you are in a trashy area.....Always check the questionable!!!

As you said " Always check the questionable!!! "

Please explain to a mod before you post anywhere else how you found a 1901 "O" Gold Coin when they were never produced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread