MAJOR SILVER COIN FIRST, but wait ......

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit the water at the beach for the 3rd time this season this afternoon on the spur of the moment. Been doing well on rings so far with 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 junk (hello kitty), and one very strange one from today. Spent most of the day in waist to chest deep water. The highlight of the hunt, or so I thought, was when I was absolutely floored to find an 1881 Morgan silver dollar in my scoop. This particular beach saw heavy use going all the way back to the late 1800s, and I know other coins from this period had been dug, so I could understand how something like this might turn up. But I thought it strange how easy it was to find, and this beach is hunted pretty heavily. I thought it was prophetic that just last week when George found those 2 Morgans, I had responded back to his post saying I'd probably never dig one of those, and then wham. When I got home I started taking some pics for this post, and then the worst happened - that dreaded word "COPY" appeared on the back. Talk about a major letdown. I did some checking and apparently there are a lot of repro 1881CC dollars floating around, and now I'm the proud owner of one. I also pulled out this very strange ring, or should I say weapon. It's solid copper, and has a heavy point on the face that could do some serious damage. After that silver dollar disappointment I feel like using it on something .... lol. Oh well, at least I had fun trying and plan to hit it again soon.

Attachments

• 060115a.jpg
    060115a.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 060115b.jpg
    060115b.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 060115c.jpg
    060115c.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 273
  • 060115d.jpg
    060115d.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 060115e.jpg
    060115e.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 060115f.jpg
    060115f.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 21

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, cool but a let down, almost like finding a Seated Half Dollar and it turns out to be contemporary counterfeit.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hey you had the excitement of digging a Morgan, even though it was short lived. I'm sure it'll be the real deal next time. Still an interesting thing to find!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer. I was very lucky to dig a Morgan at a long-abandoned lumber camp in the woods of Virginia back in 1993. My wife's first silver was a Morgan Dollar, believe it or not. Dug at a one-room schoolhouse site (now overgrown woods) in Indiana.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/111191-skipping-class-first-silver.html

Incidentally, she made the cover of a WE Treasures Magazine with that coin.

Silver Dollars are very hard to find, and it seems like one has almost equal odds of finding one as they do of finding a small cache, since the coins were not easy to lose--and often found again if dropped, unless intentionally hidden.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a bummer, Bill. On the bright side, I guess it will make for a good laugh some day in the future. Thanks for taking the time to post your first "Morgan."

No biggie Steve. I don't care much for those newer coins anyway :laughing7:.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bit of a let down there Bill, but I'm sure it was good for a rush all the same.

Curious, and assuming you were using the CZ21, did it at least give you a high tone ?

I've seen a Canadian key date quarter that just didn't look right to me, and it weighed correctly, but it did not fool the detector. There was no "copy" on it either.

Rick - yes, I was using the CZ-21 and it did give a high tone, but that's not what I'm looking for. As you know, the gold jewelry I'm seeking usually rings in with a solid mid-tone, and I only heard that sweet sound once yesterday.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry about the let down Bill ! What is the item in the final pic ? Looks to have a silver bezel around it .

That last pic just shows the back side of that weird ring, or weapon, that I found. Even though the point is hollow, the ring overall is pretty heavy and could definitely do some damage.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Bill that had to be a major bummer! Is it even silver? Regardless, I'm sure I will never dig one of those (LOL)

Steve - no, the coin is not silver. I did some electrolysis on it for quite a while, and it wouldn't clean up like a silver coin would. It also weighs about 15% lighter than the real thing (22.23g va 26.73g). I just looked it up, and per the link below, you can buy one of these for $1. And they're silver plated over copper.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick - yes, I was using the CZ-21 and it did give a high tone, but that's not what I'm looking for. As you know, the gold jewelry I'm seeking usually rings in with a solid mid-tone, and I only heard that sweet sound once yesterday.

Thanks Bill,

Yes when water hunting that medium tone is what your looking for.
This is the coin I was talking about, it is a chinese fake. That has a correct weight. Buyer beware !!

Since I didn't mention it before The ring "could" be a madonna thing, matching her other pointed accoutrements. HAHAHA, I have no idea, but looks badd ass.

fake1915r.JPG

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to see that the coin is a copy, however, still a nice find IMO. Just display it with the "copy" side down... problem solved! Your time will come, Vino can't possible dig EVERY good coin out of the ground! GL&HH.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Sorry Bill, I thought for sure you were checking that one off the list. I still bet you will find one yet. That ring looks brutal! Good luck in the water next hunt. I am sensing some more gold.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Same question.

I posted earlier that you can buy these repro coins for $1, and they're copper with silver plating. The weight was about 15% less as well. It would have been nice if it was silver if for nothing other than melt value.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhh no, what a bummer! The fact that it was walked over is a good sign though. I've seen some good water finds on here recently.....I sense a monster platinum diamond ring in your future Bill!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It had to have been deflating to see the copy counterstrike. When I pulled the gold ring and necklace out of the ground a couple of weeks ago I was like trying to think of every which way the find is going to disappoint. It didn't for me. Your morgan is unique "kinda"

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't express how bad I feel for you. From the pent house to the outhouse. That sucks.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's considered a 'self defense' ring. same concept as brass knucks. probably illegal to wear in most states.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread