Finally, The Chicken Hawk (Eagle) Shows Its Face. MY FIRST GW BUTTON!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with a couple buddies today for a little while. We hiked to a site in the woods that we found last year but were unable to hunt. Strangely, although this site was a ways into the woods there was just nothing there to be found. A few shotgun slugs and a couple of nails was all that surfaced. On the way back to the truck we came across a second foundation and hunted that one for a while. My first signal was a 12-47 screamer on my E-Trac. Turned out to be a colonial shoe buckle (minus the tongue and chape of course) but it made for a good first find. Pulled out a solid brass finial of some sort after that...rang up just as high as the shoe buckle on my detector. The last keeper of the day was a flat button. Didn't take a picture of it fresh out of the hole because at that point I had no idea what I had yet. Anybody who has detected for a while knows that the large flat buttons at older sites have a (very) small chance of being George Washington Inaugural buttons. Of course I've been saying that same thing to myself for years and years now but still haven't found one.......until today. Washed the button off a little in a nearby puddle and there she was just a pretty as can be..... The Eagle with the shield. Took a couple more pics of it when I got home. Unfortunately, its missing the shank. It's pretty beat up but I'll take it....Lol.

004.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG

Here's the buckle.....

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Today's finds..... sparse, but satisfying.

006.JPG

Upvote 23

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT RELIC !! CONGRATS :occasion14:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats! !
Now that is on every colonial hunters wish list!!!
As far as im concerned that is a BANNER find right there.
My vote is going in!!!!
Congratulations again.
George

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
CONGRATS on digging the GW Button, in any condition they are still AWESOME to find :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best I'm able to tell so far this is the GW1 "March The Fourth 1789 Memorable Era" although I can't make too much detail out yet. Haven't done any additional cleaning on it yet. Not sure of rarity.... even with the condition its in I'd rather be safe than sorry with cleaning.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Hell yeah Evo that's so cool brother! I really hope to find one someday. Killer bud....killer. What a cool piece of American history

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the shoe buckle frame as well and def a GW1. I can see the letters of MARCH at the bottom

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Many congrats on your first GW!! Wish one of those would turn up down this way, but for some reason they seem impossible to find. And that's one huge shoe buckle!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man that's a real beauty! :occasion14:
Congrats on your first GW Button find... this line made me laugh, "Washed the button off a little in a nearby puddle". :laughing7:

Bet you might not have done that if you knew then what you had, my BANNER vote is in!
Dave

PS. I almost forgot, very nice shoe buckle too! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a real beauty! :occasion14:
Congrats on your first GW Button find... this line made me laugh, "Washed the button off a little in a nearby puddle". :laughing7:

Bet you might not have done that if you knew then what you had, my BANNER vote is in!
Dave
You're definitely right on that one. Would have thought better of the puddle wash.... Lol

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slightly better pics..... easier to see the lettering around the edge.

014.JPG 013.JPG 011.JPG

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, that is one SWEET button! Congrats, my friend!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first GW Button! It's a day to remember that's for sure.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! You guys out east are cleaning up on the Washington Buttons this year!!!!!! Going to have to get out that way soon!!!! Congrats! :occasion14:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the GWI button. It looks like the shoe buckle was just an appetizer. I don't recall many of the eagle buttons with the March 4th date being found, so I'm going with a vote for banner. I can understand any hesitation in treating the button for fear of doing more harm than good, but I've always had great luck with a long soak in mineral oil. Whatever you do or not do - the history behind this button is huge. Awesome job. :icon_thumleft:

Washington's_Inauguration.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds. Congratulations

Fattony315

May 17, 2013
Up state ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW came out nice. Congrats on today's find. Now I need to find one. Funny, I said when you were washing it off, the chicken hawk won't show up no matter how much you want it. Guess I was wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread