First Lead Soldier, A Couple of Wheaties, some Junk Jewelry & Other Stuff.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I hiked about a mile and a half (one way) through rough terrain to an old abandoned house I've been meaning to get to. It hasn't been inhabited in about 35 years and it was built long before that.
The place is absolutely loaded with iron and other trash but I did manage to dig a couple of cool finds.

Right outside the back door where I assume some kid used to play I dug up this guy:

Lead Soldier and Stuff june 6 2015 001.JPG

It's the first lead soldier I ever found and it's in fairly good shape. I have no idea how old it is but it was pretty deep.
I have to wonder how many little kids were lead poisoned from putting those things in their mouths.

I hit the driveway and found two Wheaties, both 1949's. I also got a 1946 nickel nearby.

Lead Soldier and Stuff june 6 2015 002.JPG

In spite of the Wheaties, no silver showed up.
I then hit what looked to be an old garden area and got a few pieces of junk jewelry. I got this guy first. I think he's an Indian Chief or something.

Lead Soldier and Stuff june 6 2015 003.JPG

I thought it was something good at first but it turned out to be junk. It's still kinda' cool though. The dime is for size reference btw.

Then there was the rest of the stuff, a monogram "R" pin, some other kind of pin, a quarter that looks like someone shot it a few times with a BB gun, a 1967 quarter that looks like a recent drop, a metal object that looks to be a shoe from some kind of figurine, a few old shell caps, a .38 shell, a sinker and assorted clad.

Lead Soldier and Stuff june 6 2015 004.JPG

It's a really cool and pretty big place. I can hunt this spot again and again and I plan to do just that. I hope I can coax some silver out of there sooner or later. Overall it was a really cool hunt.

Oh, I FINALLY took the sound advice of many fellow T'Net members and officially retired my modified, imported (from far off in the Orient) Harbor Freight/Cen-Tech pinpointer. I started using my new Deteknix XPointer today.

XPointer Camo.jpg

What a difference. This is the first "real" pinpointer I have ever even used and it's fantastic. I never realized what a difference there would be between the two. I actually liked my Cen-Tech after the mods but there is just no comparison. This thing works great. The Cen-Tech is now a backup unit for anyone who tags along. I can't say I miss it but it did it's job cheaply and got me through my first year, so it's all good.

I got my XPointer from a T'Net supporting vendor; Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors in PA. I'm extremely well pleased with the product and the awesome service I received. I ordered it by phone and had it in my hands in two days; in time for the weekend.
I highly recommend doing business with Ft. Bedford.

That's about it 'til next time. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 6

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the Lead soldier for sure. Lead poisoning, Mercury.. heck, were all still kicking... I think.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like the Lead soldier for sure. Lead poisoning, Mercury.. heck, were all still kicking... I think.

Yeah, I can remember breaking thermometers when I was a kid and actually playing with the mercury. We would even roll it around in our hands. It's really neat stuff.

As for lead, my youngest son was actually lead poisoned pretty badly by microscopic lead dust from a door frame in an older house we used to live in. I learned a great deal about lead during that time and I promise you, it's really nasty stuff; especially in young developing brains. My son was only two when he was diagnosed and his level was double the level that's considered "poisoning'. he had many problems over the next couple of years until we got his level down.

After that experience, I definitely wouldn't allow any child under say, ten years old anywhere near lead toys. There's a reason they banned them.

OTOH, the house I grew up in was painted with lead paint and none of us had any problems (that I'm aware of anyway).

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G424, I have scoured my reference books but just could not find (a photo of) your soldier. Does he appear to be 54mm tall? Is he wearing a backpack or a set of flame thrower tanks? Is that a classic German helmet or a smashed USGI style helmet? Any markings at all on the underside of the base? This would help me narrow it down, but in general, he is probably post WW2. Sub 8-)

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like that lead soldier. He's really cool

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G424, I have scoured my reference books but just could not find (a photo of) your soldier. Does he appear to be 54mm tall? Is he wearing a backpack or a set of flame thrower tanks? Is that a classic German helmet or a smashed USGI style helmet? Any markings at all on the underside of the base? This would help me narrow it down, but in general, he is probably post WW2. Sub 8-)

There are no markings on it that I can find. It looks like a backpack but it also looks like he's holding some kind of hose (?).

The helmet looks German to me as well but I just can't be sure. I've been trying to find a match myself online but so far, I can't find anything quite like it.

Also, many people used to buy molds and make their own toy soldiers so it could even be home made.

I'll try and post some better pics later; especially of the pack on his back. The detail is still pretty good.

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, if the soldier is holding a hose then he is a flame-thrower operator, with the nozzle broken off now. Probably representing WW1 era based on long trousers and no Jack boots. Very few American toy soldier companies made authentic German soldiers, true to the uniforms and equipment (Jones and All-Nu.) They tended to be the "Dime Store" size also, about 70mm tall. I suspect yours is an imported soldier, but not a Britains, as it does not articulate or have a rectangular base. Are there any toy soldier shops near you to check it? Sub 8-)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice nice nice lead soldier... on my list of things that I need to find. Congrats.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice nice nice lead soldier... on my list of things that I need to find. Congrats.

Thanks to all.

Yeah, I was sure surprised. I'm going back to that spot soon and poke around some more. It's pretty big and based on the few coins I have found so far I figure there could still be more good stuff.
I'll have to remove lots of iron though. It's everywhere.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, if the soldier is holding a hose then he is a flame-thrower operator, with the nozzle broken off now. Probably representing WW1 era based on long trousers and no Jack boots. Very few American toy soldier companies made authentic German soldiers, true to the uniforms and equipment (Jones and All-Nu.) They tended to be the "Dime Store" size also, about 70mm tall. I suspect yours is an imported soldier, but not a Britains, as it does not articulate or have a rectangular base. Are there any toy soldier shops near you to check it? Sub 8-)

Dunno' about any shops around but I can find out.

I immediately thought it was a flame thrower but the pack looks more like a pack than it does tanks. I'll try and get those other pics up soon and that way you can make a more educated guess.
It sure does look German to me though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread