Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I did a quick "exploratory" on a new property -- Trulia says the house was built in 1900, but there's a sign on the house that alludes to the original structure being from the late 1700s. Back yard didn't produce much (yet). I quickly moved over to the side yard and one of my first targets was a 1-1/2" x 1" brass buckle. That was my first indicator. Dug some more junk then got a very nice deep signal. I dug a wide deep plug as it sounded like silver and it was still deeper--I was hoping it wasn't a deep flattened soda can. The soil appeared as though it contained ashes. Dug a bit deeper with my spade and out popped what appeared to be a beautifully engraved silver cover to a pocket watch.

At that point I had to go to meet a friend for drinks and to watch the Belmont race. Nice way to end the "exploratory" dig.

I believe the cover is solid silver and hand engraved over the intricate engine turned pattern. The only markings on the back of it are what appears to be a maker's mark "CF" (Charles Frodsham?) and a "3" and further down there's a serial number 69355 in an old fashioned typeface.

Any leads on this one would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SIlverPocketWatchCover 1 (front).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover 1 (front).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 161
  • SIlverPocketWatchCover 2 (front).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover 2 (front).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 154
  • SIlverPocketWatchCover (back).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover (back).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 149
  • SIlverPocketWatchCover (CF 3).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover (CF 3).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a big piece of silver. It would definitely make my day, that's for sure. Nice find.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Evolution! It definitely made my day as it's only my second silver pocket watch cover--first was found on vacation a couple years back in MA. I hope someone might be able to provide some more info on it. And congrats on your stellar find--I just nominated it for banner! Keep up the great work :occasion14:

That's a big piece of silver. It would definitely make my day, that's for sure. Nice find.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It certainly looks like silver with the fine hairline scratches under a 10X jeweler's loupe. Had/has some black oxidation on it like silver that's been in the ground for a long time. Highly unlikely that it's aluminum stamped with a serial number and maker's mark. Probably coin silver...did they stamp that? Don't believe my other pocket watch cover is stamped either.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess your going back:thumbsup: Nice find.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a very similar design on UK ebay site. Full hunter London fusee 1870. Hallmarks are on the other piece of the case. They didn't list a manufacturer.

Attachments

• Full Hunter London Fusee 1870 (301650732893).JPG
    Full Hunter London Fusee 1870 (301650732893).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 112
  • $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Further research reveals that that pattern is called an "engine turned design." Still don't have a manufacturer or date.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No one here knows anything about full hunter pocket watches or their maker's marks?? Guess I'm going to have to post this over on the What Is It forum.

If we can determine the maker, the serial number should be able to date it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and look for the rest of it.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll def try. I did find another solid silver engraved cover up in Mass on vacation (now where'd I put that thing?? :laughing7:) and the rest of the pocket watch was no where to be found. This one was pretty deep, it'd be cool to find the other piece of the cover.

Go back and look for the rest of it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good chunk of silver.
I found many watch pieces, and parts, but got my first real silver piece this year, just the back marked AWC Sterling, sadly no other parts of the watch showed up.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Rick, yes it seems I always find parts--found several of the main board (don't know what they call it) that the gears attach to. Were you able to find any research on maker's marks to ID yours? Seems to be some real interest in vintage pocket watches on the Internet. Thanks for your post...I like the hand engraving and the engine turned design on this cover.

Good chunk of silver.
I found many watch pieces, and parts, but got my first real silver piece this year, just the back marked AWC Sterling, sadly no other parts of the watch showed up.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Eric, nice silver save there !! :occasion14: Always like those old engraved items :coffee2:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks C&R Man--I love 'em too. Was very happy to see this when it was unearthed with the intricate design (and also very happy it wasn't a deep squashed aluminum can! :laughing7:)
Hi Eric, nice silver save there !! :occasion14: Always like those old engraved items :coffee2:

ALDEEZ777

Jul 14, 2014
Davenport, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one very similar. But mine was all bent up, until I took my hammer and dollie and straighten it out.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please post a pic if you have it. Did it have a maker's mark and serial no? Still trying to get some research on this one.

I found one very similar. But mine was all bent up, until I took my hammer and dollie and straighten it out.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rick, yes it seems I always find parts--found several of the main board (don't know what they call it) that the gears attach to. Were you able to find any research on maker's marks to ID yours? Seems to be some real interest in vintage pocket watches on the Internet. Thanks for your post...I like the hand engraving and the engine turned design on this cover.

"main board" usually called "the works" or "movement"
Mine was very easy to ID A.W.C. Co "American Waltham (watch) Company". They are also easy to find dates for
My ser. # 1253273 dates 1877. size 18 (quite small)
from here. Serial Number
IMG_1521.JPG

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing a little looking for you came up with something...maybe...
the C.F. could be,
"Clemence Freres, they made cases and movements in La Chaux-de-Fonds."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread