Attachments

• Web Indian Artifact.jpg
    Web Indian Artifact.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 737
C

Copper

Re: My collection of indian artifacts & Sharks Teeth

Very nice collection.

Since my childhood I've liked native American artifacts.

A few years ago, just before he passed away, a friend gave me some arrowheads he found when he was a child living in southern Michigan.

I've always wondered how collectors can tell the difference between modern made arrowheads and ancient artifacts? Is there a science to this?

Thanks for sharing.

Copper

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County

Copper, sorry but I've got another question for you. Are there metal objects that lead you to finding arrow heads when MDing? Or is it that a random metal object which causes you to dig just happens to be near the Indian artifacts? Great finds and super display. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003

This collection spans over about 15 years. All these were found in two fields. There is no science to it. I was told as a child that there were arrowheads in these two fields, both within walking distances of my grandmothers and great grandmothers. I would say that 75% from my location near my grandmothers and 25% from my great grandmothers. Well the key is knowing they are there first. Then you have to keep an eye out for any plowing. Once the farmers have plowed wait until there are a few rain storms. Then it is easy. Walk and look for tips or pieces sticking up and mostly they are right on top. At my grandmothers area, my dad found a silver dollar when he was young. I recently went back and tried MDing and found trash. I then found the location of his find was near an old barn. Old road to it is plowed under. So to find that exact spot, tough. Well the other site yielded a 1773 Copper Cent. With my eyes no MDing. So I have not been back to MD the site because my great grandmother has passed and it was a mess with her land and all. But I will one day. Her land has a lot of promise for finds. My great grandfather once found a map etched in stone of the land and creeks in that area, Also within a mile or less from her home was an indian burial ground, so I was told. I no longer live in the area, so I have to go two hours to try it. Long winded, sorry. This should give you an idea of searching for indian artifacts. Whether or not you are MDing keep those eyes open for small rock shavings and you will find stuff.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

Copper said:
I've always wondered how collectors can tell the difference between modern made arrowheads and ancient artifacts? Is there a science to this?
As a flintknapper myself, I can tell you that I have studied the techniques of the modern "masters" and none can compare to some(most) of the authentic lithic technology utilized by the native americans before the introduction of metal working! If I could recreate the fine intricate flakes taken by the true masters, the native americans, I'd be rich!(in many more ways than one!) 8)

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II

Omni, You stuck me as a patient looking fellow. I tried my hand at knapping as well....My spear points turned into arrowheads.....my arrowheads then became bird points.....my birdpoints became chips...I always wondered how sand was made! ;D

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Way cool Co2. I have found a few points over the years, maybe a dozen, but nothin like that. I am working on permission to hunt an old stage stop in the Or gold rush area & there is a big meadow around it that is supposed to yield points like that. My friends dad used to own the land & the friend knows the curent owners but has had no contact for twenty years or so. Been trying to put this hunt together since last May. Spotz

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

Colorado, it take tons of practice and tons of patience(sometimes tons of bandaids and a couple of stitches!) ;) get with me if you'd like some tips, my e-mail is on my profile! 8)

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Cool Omni! I didn't even begin to think there was anothe knapper on this site! I do it too, although I haven't done it for a while now. I've still got several of them laying around that I made. I have a large collection of real ones too, and indian pottery. I used to make the points and sell them.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice collection! That Tomahawk looking rock was probably used to kill small animals, and most likely had a wooden handle attached using vines or hemp.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

:o Very nice collection,thanks for the share.HH

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Nice collection of the "Morrow Mountain" type points ya got there phillip. Maybe a couple of the Savanna River type too. I'd have to say youre on the east coast......if you live near where those were found.

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003

I am on the east coast. Southeast NC. I appreciate the info. I never have tried researching them. I just like the fact that I found them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread