🥇 BANNER A bucket list find, a surprise big silver.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED PICS

I went to a place I call zip city. It's a modern park, never expect too much and usually that's
what I get. It's a place where one can expect clad and maybe hope for a bit of bling. The hits are just regular
enough to be able to stay interested but there's not much trash. So, it's usually a nice peaceful walk.

As you can see from the bulk of the finds:

2015 (309).jpg
2015 (310).jpg

( a "no value" token)

2015 (312).jpg

This is why I call the place "zip city" :) .

2015 (311).jpg

You KNOW what my title line might have been if this had
been the best find today. ;) LOL

BUT.....

The star of the day AND of my lifetime of hunting!

I'm walking along and I get one of "THOSE" hits. You know.
89-91 in ALL directions? Plain as day? Only a couple inches down?

Some do a victory dance when they happen upon a lifetime find but I tell
you I don't do that sort of stuff. BUT....in this case....I did do my personal
version of a victory dance. Me and my ATP go into this waltz like dance! I
spin it around the hole and just listen to that sweeeeet 89-91,over and over and over! LOL

Finally I get down to business and I gave the ATP a "dip" to beat all "dips" and then dug.

Here's what I saw:

2015 (315).jpg

2015 (316).jpg

2015 (317).jpg

2015 (318).jpg

2015 (319).jpg

I've always worked with a theory.
That every place was something else before it became what it is today.
This just continues to prove my theory.

My oldest silver ever!

2015 (313).jpg 2015 (314).jpg

Before anyone attempts to rain on my parade, I did some preliminary checking. The weight and size are correct. ;)
But, even if this would prove to be something other than I think it is, it still counts. After all it is my "book" after all. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to share in my happiness!

Last edited:
Upvote 104

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will somebody please tell me where they think the problem is here ? I'll start by asking WHADIFIND - what's with the disclaimer ?
"but even if this would prove" ..... ????????????????????????

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I ask what the concerns are about the coin?

I say congrats on a bucket list find! Hopefully your skepticism is unwarranted.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will somebody please tell me where they think the problem is here ? I'll start by asking WHADIFIND - what's with the disclaimer ?
"but even if this would prove" ..... ????????????????????????

If I had to guess, I'd say he was concerned about the color/luster. (but as we all know, that's a crap-shoot)

But given the fidelity of the strike of the coin, coupled with weight/size observations, I'd say it doesn't seem worthy of any doubts in my mind.

I clicked banner based on condition alone.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and fantastic silver.:occasion14: Love when the detector screams big silver. Enjoy the feeling, it should last a while.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freakin' beautiful coin.

Congratulations dude. That's one of those once in a lifetime finds (at this point anyway, who knows?? Lightning has been known to strike twice).

Awesome find.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
There ain't nothing wrong with that!
That's one of the greatest things about detecting, you just never know until you get it on the surface ; and a surprise is a bonus!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Gary, so cool.
But, its not looking good..
Double check that..
If it is,? Its a Banner find all the way.
George

Why would you even say that? What are you basing your comment that it doesn't look good on?

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a life time for anyone, Awesome find!!

Did I say SWEET find!! Congrats!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you give us a few close ups of the coin? I want to see the shine and beauty up close! (Coin smut)

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give us a few close ups of the coin? I want to see the shine and beauty up close! (Coin smut)

And in less yellow light as well, if possible! Coin smut, indeed.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah that is one nice coin. Congratulations to you. I am sure you will have that one graded. Keep us updated please :thumbsup:
HH

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavens to murgatroyd!!! Just thinking of digging that coin makes me nauseous with delight. Big congrats man!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, my sincerest thanks to all responders. THAT...is the real reason I come to T-Net. To be able to share something
in my hobby with people who are as passionate about it as I am. Also, for the knowledge it encompasses.

Now, with that said, I'll attempt to answer a couple questions posed.

My "disclaimer" was put in because of what I see all too often here. It's a GREAT site! But, for my tastes, it has been much too harsh
on some. It seems to me that there are a few who take someone else's post too seriously. It seems like the whole purpose is getting one's
item "up top". And, with that being the driving force, some, not all mind you, but some seem to try too hard to disprove. It's almost as if
the thought is, that the poster is trying to "put one over" on them.

So, my disclaimer was to point out that I was on here to share a bit of the happy I was feeling and not for verification, validation or accolades. :)

Now, to the star. I've talked it over with a friend who knows coins far better than I ever will. And, even though we could be wrong since we're not perfect.
We think it's NOT a mint error coin. Rather, a regular date, double leaf. As far as getting it "graded", see above about verification. ;) LOL I have what I have and I'm perfectly happy with that, if it needs grading, I'll let the one I pass it on to, to do. :) Besides, it is in deplorable condition, numismatically speaking. LOL It has nicks and scratches,rubs, gouges, plus a bit of that "silver's disease" I've heard somebody mention, (the black tarnish spots).

Blingie has not EVEN seen this one yet! LOL

As to more pics, we have it soaking in a vat of muriatic acid, hooked to an electrolysis rig, in a ultra-sound chamber inside a microwave. As soon as the smoke clears,
I'll try to post a couple more. ;)

Again, thank you everyone for all the wonderful sharing of the moment. :)

Last edited:

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, my sincerest thanks to all responders. THAT...is the real reason I come to T-Net. To be able to share something
in my hobby with people who are as passionate about it as I am. Also, for the knowledge it encompasses.

Now, with that said, I'll attempt to answer a couple questions posed.

My "disclaimer" was put in because of what I see all too often here. It's a GREAT site! But, for my tastes, it has been much too harsh
on some. It seems to me that there are a few who take someone else's post too seriously. It seems like the whole purpose is getting one's
item "up top". And, with that being the driving force, some, not all mind you, but some seem to try too hard to disprove. It's almost as if
the thought is, that the poster is trying to "put one over" on them.

So, my disclaimer was to point out that I was on here to share a bit of the happy I was feeling and not for verification, validation or accolades. :)

Now, to the star. I've talked it over with a friend who knows coins far better than I ever will. And, even though we could be wrong since we're not perfect.
We think it's NOT a mint error coin. Rather, a regular date, double leaf. As far as getting it "graded", see above about verification. ;) LOL I have what I have and I'm perfectly happy with that, if it needs grading, I'll let the one I pass it on to to do. :) Besides, it is in deplorable condition, numismatically speaking. LOL It has nicks and scratches,rubs, gouges, plus a bit of that "silver's disease" I've heard somebody mention, (the black tarnish spots).

Blingie has not EVEN seen this one yet! LOL

As to more pics, we have it soaking in a vat of muriatic acid, hooked to an electrolysis rig, in a ultra-sound chamber inside a microwave. As soon as the smoke clears,
I'll try to post a couple more. ;)

Again, thank you everyone for all the wonderful sharing of the moment. :)

I would think trust value of a long standing member should carry weight on this forum (or any other). It's like anything else in life. Just my 2 cents.

As for your find, it's a dream find for any of us. You are now in the company of a lucky few to have found that coin. A hearty congrats to you - always enjoy your posts!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can muster up with my jaw on the floor is.....WOWZERS! Congrats Whadi on a stunner! Sub 8-)
jimcarrey.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wise move not showing it to you know who!

Lol! Your last paragraph just scared half the readers and the rest of us are laughing! Wicked! Lol!

I already voted, so it doesn't matter.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats an extreme "Whadifind" !!!! Maybe you need a new name now like "LuckyOne" :laughing7: :occasion14:Congrats :metaldetector:, that beats all my oldies out here wait I only have one really old one an 1817 large cent not counting that AD 1000 Korean cash coin no one cared about :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread