Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After a few failed permissions (and a few "maybe's" ) I gave up and moved to a 1920's abandoned house that was on the old maps (hmmmm, a "newer" house was put there where an older house stood) and my research showed its flying colors. The site was a bit trashy but it wasn't too bad! :)

I started off in the front yard and my first target was from the "newer" homesite... A 1946 nickel. I only had about an hour to hunt so I concentrated in the area. Then I got another similar signal down 7" and I see a coin sized disc. I couldn't see anything on it except... Silver plating! A early 1800's flat button! Just what I was hoping for at this site! Then not a few feet away.... I get a scratchy signal. Very very faint but high. It must've taken me over 10 minutes to dig it but when I finally got it out of the hole it pinged up to an 88. I knew I had something good!

I uncovered the dry dirt and I found it. A super thick large cent! After that I continued in a little area and found two more flat buttons (one is silvered) and a cool little ball button. When I get home I toothbrushed the copper and it turns out.. It's a Liberty cap! You can clearly see the cap! Unfortunately the obverse is in pretty rough shape but the back still has lots of patina left! Bucket lister!!!!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946332.620397.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946352.170079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946383.402421.jpg

I went back the next day to scout out a new area of the property for an hour or so. I ended up finding a 1928 buffalo nickel, a wheatie, a few buttons including a tombac, a drawer pull piece, a chinese cash coin, a half a petal bell (a first!!!!) and a beautiful Zouave ball button which is silvered. Now I have a gold guilded and silver guilded Zouave buttons. I also found a bucket list bullet, a Smith Carbine! Has an X carved on the base

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946961.392520.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433947006.956189.jpg

The third day was beyond unbelievable. Lol. I am still shocked ! I got dropped off by my dad at the site at 10 am and he came back at two. The ground was very moist because it finally rained and the targets were very strong signals and not as iffy. I missed a LOT of stuff because the moisture effects the detection. Anyway I got my first signal and it was a beautiful piece of a pewter or lead shoe buckle fragment with a floral design, then not 2 feet over I get a piece of that broken crotal bell! Not a bad start!!! After that things slowed down to a few harmonica reeds and pocket watch pieces (stuff from the newer house)... but I head into an area I hunted before and get a low tone signal on the surface basically. I pop a small plug thinking more foil but this time it was a broken etched tombac! Niiiiceee!!! 1790's all day . I also got another floral deigned shoe buckle fragment, you can even see the pinhole! I head toward the extremely trashy side yard that I avoided in the past and BAM! I get a can signal and I popped out a beautiful batwing plate off of a sling buckle!!!!! I called Luke and sent him pictures... not knowing the day was just getting started :cool: nearby I kept finding hundreds of shells and bullet casings. I had a massive trash pile but the goodies were at the same depths so it was so worth it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433947055.993830.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433947072.938568.jpg

I went towards the sideyard a bit more and got a high tone but it was faint. I dug down 6 inches and it pops out onto the ground out from the plug. A thin green disk. I thought it was a big dandy coat button at first until I wiped it off. I felt no shank and I could clearly see a man's bust facing left. A KGII BABY!!!!!! MY FIRST LEGIBLE COLONIAL COPPER YESSSS FINALLY!!!! :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433947104.336935.jpg

After that I found a couple civil war chewed up minnie balls next to the road on the side then took a quick break. I was thinking... in between all the trash on the side yard there's gotta be more! I mean... a KG copper what else can be in there? I ended up going back. Right off the bat I dig another chinese coin, then another, then I get a super faint 81 signal on the at pro I dug down 9" at least for this thing... when I finally got it out of the hole with my hands it showed a high 82 on the VDI. Oh BOY!!!!!! I saw this!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433947128.455075.jpg

I was like "OMG "another freaking copper...!!! This day is crazy!!!!

I wiped off the dirt using my pants and I saw the classic head bust :cheering: a new bucket list for me... but that's not all... it's an 1811..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946902.355807.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946915.586458.jpg

IT'S THE FREAKING KEY DATE OF THE SERIES!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HECK!?!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946869.723447.jpg

It gets even better though

Then I get a civil war knapsack hook with the leather still attached.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946840.705477.jpg

Then another cash coin. After that I get a 60's signal on the at pro at like 4"... it turns out I was digging an 8 inch hole and I saw what appeared to be another broken petal bell... Nooooooooooo... I took it out and saw the design.... holy mackeral!!! I did a double take and took a pic upside down... Lol! I had NO idea what it was and texted Luke a picture of it... he said it was a sword pommel and that's exactly what it looked like. After a few more 1920's relics, two more buttons and a partrige in a pear tree, I had to head out. Trust me, I'm going back! I still have to wait for winter when the fields around the site are doable!!! I'm so pumped right now. Shivering in excitement writing this thread!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946817.554767.jpg

When I got home I noticed I held it upside down and saw the eagle. WOW! WOW WOW!!!! Look at how meticulous that thing is... all the details!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946791.889416.jpg

I rinsed it off and posted a pic on the book of faces... I got a very quick ID and link. I was floored when I saw it wasn't a sword pommel but in fact it was a Butt Cap off of a Halbach Baltimore Pistol that is definetely from/ used in the war of 1812. A friend says it was made ca. 1790.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946453.573147.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946472.560314.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946491.007102.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946511.890073.jpg

Here's the link someone sent me. About this piece of you wanna read it for yourself Important Flintlock Pistol w/ Eagle Butt Cap and Barrel Engraved "INDEPENDENCE," Halbach & Sons, Baltimore -- Lot 61 -- May 4, 2013 Maryland Auction -- Crocker Farm, Inc.

This is not only an incredible piece of early American histroy, this is also an incredible work of art. My most favorite find to date!!!

Important Flintlock Pistol w/ Eagle Butt Cap and Barrel Engraved "INDEPENDENCE," Halbach & Sons, Baltimore -- Lot 61 -- May 4, 2013 Maryland Auction -- Crocker Farm, Inc.

Thnaks for reading!!! HH!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433946427.871998.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 61
OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry about the cakes guys, LOL

I'll get the good pics up now :p

EDIT: they are up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found a nice honey hole. Congrats on all those cool relics and the amazing 1811 LC.:notworthy:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great piece!!! good pics too...thanks for sharing your finds...

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome site you have there ! :occasion14: Love that pistol butt cap end too 8-) :treasurechest:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG ISSAC YOU SURE GET A ROUND, DAMN NICE PISTOL BUTT. YOU GOT SOME NEAT RELICS FROM THAT SITE,VANZUTPHEN

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very ornate pistol butt cap, & bunch of nice relic finds! Congrats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great !!! bunch of Finds.
Bet U can not wait for the Fields..

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Isaac, I'm the guy who IDed the Halbach butt cap on Facebook. Great find and great spot, good for you!

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site you are on. War of 1812 and Civil War! Military and Civilian! That butt cap is a thing of beauty. I'm voting banner on the butt cap :thumbsup:

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt! Great handful of relics and really love that pistol piece! Congrats

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you so much everyone for the kind words. I can't wait to get back out there! Maybe the rest of the pistol is out there! Also, thanks again Fullstock for the ID!!!!!

Ridirtdigger

Greenie
Oct 28, 2014
South County, RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Incredible Finds Isaac!!! That pistol piece is beyond belief. I'm sure that place is gonna produce more.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds.
Looks like a pretty sweet spot.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Issac!!
That Eagle is a great piece of history. And the Capped bust is sweet, Dont know if you know but it will have writing on the side (one hundred of a dollar ).
Great hunt and I really enjoyed your post..
George

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Incredible Finds Isaac!!! That pistol piece is beyond belief. I'm sure that place is gonna produce more.

Thanks Jim!!!

Awesome find! That Eagle looks amazing. You've got my Banner vote.

Thanks so much!!! It truly is a beautiful piece!!! :)

Nice bunch of finds.
Looks like a pretty sweet spot.

Thanks!! Hope it produces more finds soon!

Way to go Issac!!
That Eagle is a great piece of history. And the Capped bust is sweet, Dont know if you know but it will have writing on the side (one hundred of a dollar ).
Great hunt and I really enjoyed your post..
George

Thanks for your kind words George. I heard the Liberty caps do have writing on the sides. I'll have to check it out a little closer :D HH

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got my Banner vote for that that butt cap. That one is incredible. What a great looking group of relics and coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread