What a HUNT!! Three Firsts and Two of Them Are GOLD...........

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I left work today and it had just stopped raining. I knew that wherever I went it would be a muddy mess and it certainly was. Of course, we all know how those deep targets show up real nice in the mud and today was no exception.

I went to the first spot I hunted the day I got into this hobby just about one year ago (by 3 days); an old, abandoned, overgrown sports field. I started swinging and digging everything. Of course it's filled with trash.

I dug a few pop tops and a couple of nickels and then I got another hit that could have been more trash but instead turned out to be this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 001.JPG

It's my first High School ring. It's from Wichita East High School, Class of 1970. Yes it's 10K GOLD with blue Zircon and yes there IS a name engraved inside. As soon as I post this thread I'm going to try and find the owner or family members. This is the first time I've ever found anything I can return to it's rightful owner. It's also ring # 25; another milestone.

As pretty as it is I immediately decided to do the right thing. Then I dug this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 002.JPG

It's another first for me; a crucifix. It's junk metal but still a first. Looks like it came from an old rosary. I almost felt like somebody up there was happy I decided to return the ring when I dug that one.

The next thing I know I got another solid 51 and dug this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 003.JPG

My first GOLD necklace, 14K, Figaro Chain (nickel for reference). I REALLY felt that somebody up there was definitely smilin' on me. When I dug the hole I saw one tiny link and said to myself, "No freakin' WAY". When I pulled it out it just kept comin' and I said "FREAKIN' WAY"!!! (yes, out loud) I knew it was real as soon as I held it in my hand. It's quite heavy.

I poured water over it and the mud and dirt just melted away, revealing that beautiful gold, from the heart of a massive, long dead star to right under my coil. Freakin' amazing.

Then I dug a few more coins and a lead whatsit, then decided to call it quits because I was soaking wet. The entire hunt was maybe 30-40 minutes including the time it took me to walk to and from the place. It was a sloppy muddy mess and all of my stuff (and me) got filthy, but oh what a hunt!!

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 004.JPG

That may be the nicest quick haul I think I've ever had, my first gold of the year and a twofer at that. I LOVE days like this.

Now to find out who needs to get that ring back.
Thanks for lookin' & HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 42

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the owner will be very grateful. I lost mine from that same year, 1970 and I know the field I lost it in. I could never find it when I went back to look and when I returned home and had discovered Metal Detectors 30 years ago, the field had been asphalted into a parking lot, which it remains to this day. I think about that ring everytime I ride by there. I'd love to have it back - good choice to return it, and good luck! HH
I believe returning it will bring you a lot more than the cost of that ring!

You can detect thru the asphalt and Harbor freight sells jackhammers.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can detect thru the asphalt and Harbor freight sells jackhammers.:laughing7:

I was gonna' suggest the same thing but when I really gave it some thought, I figured that there are probably way more targets under that asphalt than just one ring.

May have to bust 50 holes in that parking lot before hitting pay dirt. Probably not a great idea.

Then again, if enough time passes and plans are made to resurface the lot, it could be perfect. Much of it would need to be busted up anyway.
Of course, that could be a pretty long wait.

Last edited:

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
G424, good on you for doing what's right. I am in a similar situation (2 years now) with a rowing medal I found from 1952, there was only 8 given that year. The rowing club is still active and I called and left a message, a lady called me back saying the president of the club will be calling me. I also showed it to a fellow on the local police force and he said immediately he would contact the local news and get a story going on the return of the medal. I've since, not heard a word from anyone and have left numerous messages with the rowing club, the club president at his home and the officer involved. No one will talk to me about this weather it is email, phone or face to face. I can't help but think it's a can of worms that is being kept under wraps..................

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G424, good on you for doing what's right. I am in a similar situation (2 years now) with a rowing medal I found from 1952, there was only 8 given that year. The rowing club is still active and I called and left a message, a lady called me back saying the president of the club will be calling me. I also showed it to a fellow on the local police force and he said immediately he would contact the local news and get a story going on the return of the medal. I've since, not heard a word from anyone and have left numerous messages with the rowing club, the club president at his home and the officer involved. No one will talk to me about this weather it is email, phone or face to face. I can't help but think it's a can of worms that is being kept under wraps..................

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing.
There has to be some reason why this guy doesn't want his ring back after so many years.
Maybe he had a horrible HS experience. Maybe someone else took it and he has no clue how it turned up where it did. Who knows??
Maybe he's dodging bill collectors and thinks I'm trying to play him or something. Some of those collection people can get pretty creative trying to locate and get info on people. So can the law for that matter. You never know.

It's not going anywhere. I'll wait a few days and send another message or call the grandson again. I feel like I've already made it as easy as I possibly can at this point.

As for your situation, who knows?? Two years now?? That's more than a reasonable time frame imo. I don't know but there comes a point where you might as well just consider it yours. It's not like you didn't try very hard to return it.
Apparently, someone doesn't want it back.

It's a sad world where doing the right thing makes people suspicious of you; I do know that.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has to be some reason why this guy doesn't want his ring back after so many years.
Maybe he had a horrible HS experience. Maybe someone else took it and he has no clue how it turned up where it did. Who knows??
Maybe he's dodging bill collectors and thinks I'm trying to play him or something. Some of those collection people can get pretty creative trying to locate people. So can the law for that matter. You never know.

It's not going anywhere. I'll wait a few days and send another message or call the grandson again. I feel like I've already made it as easy as I possibly can at this point.

As for your situation, who knows?? Two years now?? That's more than a reasonable time frame imo. I don't know but there comes a point where you might as well just consider it yours. It's not like you didn't try very hard to return it.

It's a sad world where doing the right thing makes people suspicious of you; I do know that.

I found a 10k class ring from 1962 at first I thought no initials but am thinking the two S's on the sides of the ring were initials, so I contacted the school to find anyone from the class with those initials, turns out there is one ,but only an address and the school won't give it out, although they stated they would try to get a hold of the man.So I am waiting, it will sit with my junk gold items.No big deal because that is where it would have been anyways.

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to admit it, but;
Already thought about it. heehee
Now, everything has closed on the lot! Just waiting for them to tear it all out.. you never know.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, since everything has closed, perhaps it would be a good time to maybe locate it at least and landmark it on paper if and when they do a tear out. lol, patience is key, cheers and good luck.

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe he's dodging bill collectors and thinks I'm trying to play him or something. Some of those collection people can get pretty creative trying to locate people. So can the law for that matter. You never know.

I know what you mean, I am ok with the fact that I tried the best I could to return it, the last option now is donating it to the heritage society in Brockville, which will be done this year. i hope you are able to get it all worked out with the return, good luck. Cheers

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 10k class ring from 1962 at first I thought no initials but am thinking the two S's on the sides of the ring were initials, so I contacted the school to find anyone from the class with those initials, turns out there is one ,but only an address and the school won't give it out, although they stated they would try to get a hold of the man.So I am waiting, it will sit with my junk gold items.No big deal because that is where it would have been anyways.

Hey, not so fast. 10K isn't junk dude.

The melt value alone (as of last Friday) on the one I found is 22.00 more than the melt value of the 14K necklace I found on the same hunt.
Those HS rings can be pretty danged heavy.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, not so fast. 10K isn't junk dude.

The melt value alone (as of last Friday) on the one I found is 22.00 more than the melt value of the 14K necklace I found on the same hunt.
Those HS rings can be pretty danged heavy.

By junk I mean melt ,the non junk is what I can't get back from my wife, the oh that's pretty which means it's hers.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By junk I mean melt ,the non junk is what I can't get back from my wife, the oh that's pretty which means it's hers.

Okay I understand.

I was wondering though. I thought that maybe you considered 10K junk or at least, low quality gold.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*******Another Update*******

Still no word whatsoever from the owner.
I have to admit I'm truly befuddled and absolutely flummoxed on this one.

I guess I'll just keep waiting and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread