What a HUNT!! Three Firsts and Two of Them Are GOLD...........

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I left work today and it had just stopped raining. I knew that wherever I went it would be a muddy mess and it certainly was. Of course, we all know how those deep targets show up real nice in the mud and today was no exception.

I went to the first spot I hunted the day I got into this hobby just about one year ago (by 3 days); an old, abandoned, overgrown sports field. I started swinging and digging everything. Of course it's filled with trash.

I dug a few pop tops and a couple of nickels and then I got another hit that could have been more trash but instead turned out to be this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 001.JPG

It's my first High School ring. It's from Wichita East High School, Class of 1970. Yes it's 10K GOLD with blue Zircon and yes there IS a name engraved inside. As soon as I post this thread I'm going to try and find the owner or family members. This is the first time I've ever found anything I can return to it's rightful owner. It's also ring # 25; another milestone.

As pretty as it is I immediately decided to do the right thing. Then I dug this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 002.JPG

It's another first for me; a crucifix. It's junk metal but still a first. Looks like it came from an old rosary. I almost felt like somebody up there was happy I decided to return the ring when I dug that one.

The next thing I know I got another solid 51 and dug this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 003.JPG

My first GOLD necklace, 14K, Figaro Chain (nickel for reference). I REALLY felt that somebody up there was definitely smilin' on me. When I dug the hole I saw one tiny link and said to myself, "No freakin' WAY". When I pulled it out it just kept comin' and I said "FREAKIN' WAY"!!! (yes, out loud) I knew it was real as soon as I held it in my hand. It's quite heavy.

I poured water over it and the mud and dirt just melted away, revealing that beautiful gold, from the heart of a massive, long dead star to right under my coil. Freakin' amazing.

Then I dug a few more coins and a lead whatsit, then decided to call it quits because I was soaking wet. The entire hunt was maybe 30-40 minutes including the time it took me to walk to and from the place. It was a sloppy muddy mess and all of my stuff (and me) got filthy, but oh what a hunt!!

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 004.JPG

That may be the nicest quick haul I think I've ever had, my first gold of the year and a twofer at that. I LOVE days like this.

Now to find out who needs to get that ring back.
Thanks for lookin' & HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 42

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Gold goodies and a mud spa for you!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great hunt. Good luck on the return.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling all that gold..:headbang: You had a great day. Wish you luck in finding the owner of the ring. Looking forward to the honorable mention post.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found a site for lost and found class rings in case anyone's interested:

Class Ring Finder

I'll see what I can do with it.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now that is a great hunt, way to go! :-)

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just posted the ring to the school alumni web site on the lost & found ring page. It's awaiting admin approval.

I'm feelin' good already.

There's just no telling how that ring made it's way from Wichita Kansas clear across the country to where I found it. It traveled a long way and may have been there for a very long time.

The owner would be 10 years older than me; about 62- 63. I really hope he's still alive and that the school is able to contact him.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't get any better then this!! A Great day!!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hunt indeed!!

Still looking for my first class ring and crucifix. Sweet necklace too and gold on top of that.

Congrats on an Awesome hunt!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story there, loved it !! :occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and digs ...good luck on your return

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the GOLD!!! Like the chain! :icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really hit your stride this season bud. As far as deciding to return the ring and the good karma that goes along with that decisions....let me just tell you this quick story. Last fall I found a class ring and returned it. Then I went and found my neighbors gold wedding band. One week later I found the pine tree shilling and cob. So for those of us who believe that this world rewards those that do the right thing their could be an even greater prize headed your way my friend. I really hope that to be the case

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey ya made great use of such a short hunt
killer class ring, hope ya find the owner!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Good luck finding the owner. You'd be amazed how much info you can find on the net.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the sweet GOLD finds! I have yet to find a class ring, and that one is nice. Very well done.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really hit your stride this season bud. As far as deciding to return the ring and the good karma that goes along with that decisions....let me just tell you this quick story. Last fall I found a class ring and returned it. Then I went and found my neighbors gold wedding band. One week later I found the pine tree shilling and cob. So for those of us who believe that this world rewards those that do the right thing their could be an even greater prize headed your way my friend. I really hope that to be the case

That's a great and inspiring story.

I already feel the necklace was "instant karma" (yes, I'm a huge John Lennon fan) on the positive intention to return the ring. It took less than 5 minutes.

And you bet I not only believe in karma, I absolutely KNOW it to be an unshakable law of the universe, as real as the law of gravity or the speed of light. It's simple cause and effect at a deeper, non physical level. You will NEVER lose when you give anything, no matter how large, small or intangible.

It always comes back in some form as long as the intention is unselfish; often when you least expect it. I've seen it over and over in my own life. A little expectation never hurts either.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread