Jurassic Treasure Turtle Points Me To 4 IHs and a Designed Pewter

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a rare window to hunt this am. I went and checked out a cellar hole that I saw on my 1776 map. Only spent an hour there at most. I'll go back this fall when it's not so thick. Then I paddled out to an island I've detected a few times. Pretty slow going but I saw the biggest damn snapping turtle I have ever seen. This things head is the size of a football. I was paddling through some rough water and the picture sucks but I'm telling you that this thing is a monster. The finds were sad. A spill of 4 IHs and 2 wheats. Also a very deep pewter that I was hoping might be my first Rev War button....nope. It has some sort of checkerboard type design. Anyway hardly worth posting but the turtle is cool.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is what the IHs look like precleaning on the Maine coast. I'm always amazed how the coast crust protects the detail sometimes
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 16

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to love the condition of the pennies after they get a bath in the HP, nice results for the time spent. BTW that's one turtle that one wouldn't want to get peeved off. :)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to love the condition of the pennies after they get a bath in the HP, nice results for the time spent. BTW that's one turtle that one wouldn't want to get peeved off. :)

I wish you could've seen this guy. His tail is 2' long. I just couldn't get a good pic cause I was paddling through the current. After he flopped himself into the water I kept thinking that if he wanted to flip me over he could easily do it. Glad he didn't want to lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish you could've seen this guy. His tail is 2' long. I just couldn't get a good pic cause I was paddling through the current. After he flopped himself into the water I kept thinking that if he wanted to flip me over he could easily do it. Glad he didn't want to lol

Just read that a 11" is 25 yrs old, and the biggest recorded to date was 18". The big ones are 100yrs old so you saw something living that could of been just as old as the IH pennies, now that's cool!.

Tortoise Trust Web - Conservation and Ecology of Snapping Turtles

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds were sad? I'd be over the moon to find 4 Indians, especially in that condition. Crust on mine around here means that they'll be pitted pretty bad after cleaning. That snapper is a whopper and I agree, he's way over 100 years old. I've been told that in the not too distant past, locals catching big ones like that actually found arrowheads and minnie balls when butchering them.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen you say you have behemoth beaver, and now you have a stupendous snapper too. What a terrific turtle.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cant get over the condition of those indians. While I prefer colonial hunting I do enjoy digging indians. But I've never found any that nice.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hunt!!

Love finding those IH's specially when you look great.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Your finds were sad? I'd be over the moon to find 4 Indians, especially in that condition. Crust on mine around here means that they'll be pitted pretty bad after cleaning. That snapper is a whopper and I agree, he's way over 100 years old. I've been told that in the not too distant past, locals catching big ones like that actually found arrowheads and minnie balls when butchering them.

I recall in Down East years ago some guy knew how to call them,He could tell you how big they were in the habitat they
were in,hunted them till He found one with an arrowhead stuck in the shell...never again.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found just the opposite of yours 2 years ago...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434928719.951837.jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 1890 IH is in beautiful shape Abe! :thumbsup:
Love the US Flag pin and the spoons too!

Dave

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking IH's and button. There lots of good turtle soup in that guy. lol

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The turtle's cool?

Well, I see them all the time, and I'll swap you even up for IHs, as many as you'd like!

I even came face to face with one as a kid when snorkeling; I never thought I could swim backwards with fins on!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say those Indians were definitely worth posting.
They cleaned up REALLY nice.

As for that turtle, it's a big one all right. We have lots of those around here and I always give them a wide berth.

I have a short, funny turtle story. About a month ago I was driving to work and there was a huge snapping turtle crossing the road in traffic. I stop and get any turtle out of the road when I can but a young girl beat me to this one.

She was running toward this thing and picked it up like you would a box turtle; one hand on each side of the shell, before I could get close enough to warn her to be careful. I couldn't believe it. I still can't.

That turtle didn't bite or snap one bit. She just carried it across the road and put it down in the weeds. I just couldn't believe it. I've seen a few far worse outcomes from people messing with those things. I told her how lucky she was and she just laughed like she picks them up every day.

She hopped in her car, smiled and waved goodbye and off she went. She's lucky she left with all of her fingers.
I'll never forget it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions