Jurassic Treasure Turtle Points Me To 4 IHs and a Designed Pewter

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a rare window to hunt this am. I went and checked out a cellar hole that I saw on my 1776 map. Only spent an hour there at most. I'll go back this fall when it's not so thick. Then I paddled out to an island I've detected a few times. Pretty slow going but I saw the biggest damn snapping turtle I have ever seen. This things head is the size of a football. I was paddling through some rough water and the picture sucks but I'm telling you that this thing is a monster. The finds were sad. A spill of 4 IHs and 2 wheats. Also a very deep pewter that I was hoping might be my first Rev War button....nope. It has some sort of checkerboard type design. Anyway hardly worth posting but the turtle is cool.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is what the IHs look like precleaning on the Maine coast. I'm always amazed how the coast crust protects the detail sometimes
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 16

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some decent finds as always Ahab! This IHC's are so nice, are you sure you didn't take them out of 2x2's and drop them in a hole so that you could dig them!!??:tongue3:

Frank

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some decent finds as always Ahab! This IHC's are so nice, are you sure you didn't take them out of 2x2's and drop them in a hole so that you could dig them!!??:tongue3:

Frank

Trust me friend if I'm opening 2x2s to pull out coins they won't be Indians heads lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice IHPs, Crisp, mine are usually toast. Atleat you saw the jurasic snapper, got out and fot some exercise, and to top it off you pull some keepers. :occasion14:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That prehistoric turtle is a monster - great photo!! I'm amazed by the condition of those coins. Is that hardened gritty crud on that IH, or just loose dirt? How did you clean those? Please tell me your secret....

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That prehistoric turtle is a monster - great photo!! I'm amazed by the condition of those coins. Is that hardened gritty crud on that IH, or just loose dirt? How did you clean those? Please tell me your secret....

Here on the coast the IHs get this thick green crust that is like cement. I just take them and plop them in the hot peroxide then let them sit for as long as they need to. I have left them in for 7-8 days before. Luckily it came off easy on these. Some of the nicest IHs ive dug had the thickest crust. Including these
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the hunt. To bad the water was kind of nautical for you. I would be stoked with some IH. I have some buddies that would have tried to catch that snapper to eat.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you put on them when they are pulled from the peroxide so they don't get that ugly dried out look? Do you put that coin care stuff on them. I bought some a while back but it just gives them a wet look. They look great Abe!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you put on them when they are pulled from the peroxide so they don't get that ugly dried out look? Do you put that coin care stuff on them. I bought some a while back but it just gives them a wet look. They look great Abe!

I just dipped those in mineral oil for the pics. Not a huge fan of the coin care. But I was thinking about sneaking down to Bills to nab his blue ribbon lol

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those indian head cents are sweet. I'll be heading your way in about 8 weeks. Would be nice if I could get away from the family for a day to hook up for some hunting ! Might have to bring my kayak !

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job abe, 4 ihs in one hunt ain't too shabby

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AHAABBBBB, ABOUT TIME ,THOUGHT THE WHITE WHALE MAY HAVE SWALLOWED YOU UP. GOT SOME NICE COINS THERE AND SPOON COOL .

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet if it wasn't for the pewter we would not have seen them beautiful IHs!!
Sorry it wasn't Rev war..
But will keep searching. .

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those finds aren't all that sad in my estimation - I know you guys out there are pretty hung up on the "oldies " but the condition
of those Indian Heads is spectacular ! What are the spoons composed of ? ( they look 1830's -40's to me )

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet little Indians!!!!!!!!!!! The look great!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen him under the pier eating big spiders, lol
Nice finds buddy, can't all be trees? :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions