Oh the HORROR!!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After work; the son and I got out to one of our many old logging camps in the area. Camp Harvey was a railroad logging camp during the 1940s of the Red River Lumber Company and later Fruit Growers Supply Company. We have done well in the past finding some nice mercs, a V nickle, quarters and old tokens.

So today we worked around the old housing areas and dinning cars. Started off with a buffalo nickle on top the ground. Looks like a 1925. He's soaking now to sure up the date and maybe a mint mark. Son then finds a Chinese coin at about in an inch followed by a 40-S wheat.

Then it happens. The sweet sound of silver..........BUT; when I dig, I see the signs of melted glass......Then the first. A melted disk that looks like a dime. It was a merc. Then a quarter.............check the hole......a larger disk is found. I check it and can see the eagles wing on the reverse. What once was a great and beautiful coin is now a melted mess. :BangHead:

Oh well. We had fun anyway and got out away from everyone for the day. Hope you all luck and thanks for looking. COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS TO OUR VACATION IN MASS!!!!!!

Attachments

• Camp-Harvey139.jpg
    Camp-Harvey139.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 229
  • harvey2.jpg
    harvey2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 221
  • harvey3.jpg
    harvey3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 196
  • harvey4.jpg
    harvey4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 189
  • harvey5.jpg
    harvey5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 195
  • harvey6.jpg
    harvey6.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 226
  • harvey7.jpg
    harvey7.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 217
  • harvey8.jpg
    harvey8.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 28

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a neat blob of silver!, very cool!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a bit slow, so help me out. I think that I can see the back of a burnt up merc, so I assume the other coins are a quarter and a half. Is it a melted Walker, Barber ...an SLQ? Lots of coins have an "eagle" on the back.

Whatever they are, they are nice IMO. Makes you wonder exactly what happen to them... Congrats on the find.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, if they're stuck together like that, it takes on an air of art! I just bet that could be a VERY nice display piece!

Congrats!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remains from a fire looks like.
Cool finds.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still silver, counts as three, dime, quarter, Half. I can't tell from the pix but I bet you can tell, just like Carolina Tom said. What are they?
Still a cool find in my book, congrats on your coin spill!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Something got awfully hot, still getting the melted silvers beats finding nothing or can slaw.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow must have been a fire that burned very long or very hot , I have had silver coins survive fires with damages but not like that, have to say good display item tho !! Better than a lackluster hunt that sites got some real potential for more finds, good luck !!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tragic, but it IS still silver. Count it!

Where in Massachusetts will you be vacationing?

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a bit slow, so help me out. I think that I can see the back of a burnt up merc, so I assume the other coins are a quarter and a half. Is it a melted Walker, Barber ...an SLQ? Lots of coins have an "eagle" on the back.

Whatever they are, they are nice IMO. Makes you wonder exactly what happen to them... Congrats on the find.

Oh my bad. The half was a Walker. The quarter; I have no idea!!!! A lot of times these old cabins would burn in the winter when a logger wasn't paying attention or something.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, And still has the exact same value as most common dates, so I wouldn't feel all that bad about the melting part.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tragic, but it IS still silver. Count it!

Where in Massachusetts will you be vacationing?

Waltham area for three days then Martha's Vineyard for seven. The wife and daughter are doing their thing while the son and I are going exploring!!!!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waltham area for three days then Martha's Vineyard for seven. The wife and daughter are doing their thing while the son and I are going exploring!!!!

Very nice. I'll actually root for non-ideal beach weather for you so you will have room to swing the coil on the Vineyard. It can be a VERY productive area that I should get out to more often. I can literally see the ferry terminal from my house.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find but that burns me up :BangHead:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you 2 had another great hunt. The melted coins are awesome. :thumbsup: Let's just hope the owner did not meet the same fate...

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, these melted coins are way better than just coins! These are a great conversation piece for years to come. Hot find! :thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh my bad. The half was a Walker. The quarter; I have no idea!!!! A lot of times these old cabins would burn in the winter when a logger wasn't paying attention or something.

That is a really cool find. Congrats, as far as I see it, three silver coins, and one is a half dollar! In my little world, that would be a killer day! Congrats and thanks for the clarification!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions