Bones found under concrete garage foundation slab / Man-made cuts

oRIDDLERo

Jun 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a 1938 home from the original owners (daughters of the builder). The garage foundation (also built in 1938) was falling apart so I decided to demo it out and replace it with a new fresh concrete foundation. After digging approximately 12 inches underneath the original concrete garage foundation I began to find several bones.

The attached photographs are of one of one of the bones with a bottle cap next to it for scale. I am curious what animal they may be from or if it could potentially be from a small human; no skull was found. Some of my thoughts:

:
  • The bones were clearly meant to be concealed as they were buried underneath a concrete slab under the 1938 garage
  • As can be seen in this photograph of one of the bones, it has been cut cleanly with a saw. If this were a pet why would it be cut with a saw?

IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3355.JPG
IMG_3359.JPG

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wondering if it is against the law for you NOT to contact the police.....

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a responsibility to turn any /all bones found over to the appropriate authorities to ascertain whether or
not they are human remains .

OP
OP
O

oRIDDLERo

Jun 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if it is against the law for you NOT to contact the police.....

I figure it is probably just some pig bones leftover from the old days. Oh come on now, someone who knows what they are doing just look at the pics and take a guess :D

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My first guess would be a pork butt bone from a ham or roast.
No reason to cut a pet unless the ground is hard and the horse is tall.
Maybe someones dogs accumulation of chew bones were put out of reach when concrete was laid.
Why waste time and effort and make a mess cutting up a human only to cover with concrete? Ewwwww.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your garage may have sat over an older filled in garbage pit.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy to tell if it's human. Lick it. If your tongue sticks, call the police. Seriously. Human bones are porous enough that they'll stick. Animal bones are slick.

Works with fossils, too, but for different reasons (fossil from rock).

Oh, and it's really gross. And you can get sick if the bone is contaminated. But it works. :)

-Skippy

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the former home owner's last name Bundy, Dahmer, or Gacy? :laughing7:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Froggy went a'courtin he did ride. HAMBONE!!

Froggy went a'courtin he did ride. HAMBONE!!

Sleepwalker_9

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
35 years ago I worked as a butcher and boned out pigs, lamb and cattle everyday. Its quite clear to see it is a limb bone and definitely not from a cow or a sheep. Its possibly from a pig, although it looks way too thin walled for that also. I would certainly consider reporting it to the authorities or county coroner if only so they can rule it out as human.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pedersen

Apr 12, 2015
Woodbridge, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could easily be the front leg of a deer cut off, the front hoof part falls off and leave and area like the non sawn end and a cut at that point would be logical and that size and thickness. I think it's the front leg of a deer.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the lick it post....:laughing7: When I was about 10 I was at a babysitters and this was an old house in the country. I was digging a deep hole (to play cars) and dug up a human hand with fingers. I wasn't allowed to dig in the yard anymore. Her husband was with sheriffs dept and they took over my hole.....lol

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WELL SOMEBODY LET THE CAT OUT THE BAG, NEWS ALERT! JIMMY HOFFA FOUND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS............. HE KINDA COME UP SHORT ON THE DEAL.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread