UNBELIEVABLE FINDS OF A LIFETIME! 1728 SPANISH SILVER & 1722 FRENCH COPPER!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got out today down in good old Philadelphia with George. Started out at a 1700s riverfront home hes hit before, I didn't do to hot there but George made a couple of good finds there, I managed a flat button of sorts and the oil lamp part with the wick still attached , I cant quite make out the patent date. 20150623_202453.jpg After that we tried door knocking and let me tell you how very very old and beautiful these homes were. Tried to get permission at 2 different places before George decided to take me to the site of his 8 reale from a few weeks ago. George wanted me to try his CTX3030 all day and see what I thought, I gotta say im impressed with it, its pretty fast compared to my etrac, similar operations/tones/VDI's, etc though. So we get geared up and went down by the pond, within 10 minutes I got a LOUD AND CLEAR 10-41-ish tone, it was 10 40 something, still a blur, I kinda lost focus for a bit when I popped the plug and saw that familiar glimmer of silver, and upon closer inspection I see SPANISH!!!, I carry it over to George, shaking, near puking, lightheaded etc etc etc, and wiped the dirt off it in front of him to reveal the most beautiful coin I have ever dug, the oldest coin I have ever dug, Three hard fought years of wishing/hoping/dreaming brought me to this point, :headbang: 1728 SPANISH SILVER! :headbang: I cant believe it still!! big reale.jpg Untitledsdf.png Untitled.png George was nice enough to get in touch with Bill D and he identified it as a Spanish pistareen. I was so pumped to get this, George gave me a hard time a bit because of HIS machine on HIS site but it was all in good fun lol! I cant believe it was only 5 inches down, I could've easily got that with my etrac!, ok anyway after that I had a hard time focusing, I was haphazardly detecting around until I sat, focused, and slowed down, managed a few more decent finds such as the 1889 IH, and a Silver Roosie, and a fired musketball. we had to leave shortly after that but I was in the mood for a little more so I headed to the school from 2 weeks ago and very first signal was this Mystery copper, 20150623_204940.jpg 20150623_174556.jpg 20150623_202610.jpg I think I see FRAN___ something on the 2nd line of the one side of it. 20150623_202610.jpg its slightly larger than a US quarter, I got 6 wheats after that and left because the sky opened up on me. 20150623_202403.jpg 20150623_204924.jpg I don't know if I can ever top this day, likely not and im OK with that, today was by far the greatest detecting day I have ever had, thank you George!!! super awesome of you to share such a killer site with me, hope I can repay you someday

thanks for looking and hh!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 65
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a gorgeous piece of Spanish. That is a killer early silver with great detail. And hey maybe you can yeah George to use all his other machines as well. I can't wait til you pull that chain cent in front of him with his machine :laughing7:
thanks abe, I thought if anyone on here can appreciate this find, it'd be you. I'm baffled at how I got so lucky, it wasn't even that deep (5 inches)!!!, it definitely makes the story that I was using Georges ctx, he just wanted me to try it out at the iron infested site we were at first. More generosity on Georges part!
Thanks for the reply brother!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks abe, I thought if anyone on here can appreciate this find, it'd be you. I'm baffled at how I got so lucky, it wasn't even that deep (5 inches)!!!, it definitely makes the story that I was using Georges ctx, he just wanted me to try it out at the iron infested site we were at first. More generosity on Georges part!
Thanks for the reply brother!

That particular style of Spanish is one of my favorites. Something about that design that I love. And those nice early ones aren't easy to find. I forgot to congratulate you on what I'm assuming is your 2 oldest coins. You were knocking on the 1600s door with those and not many can say that. That silver will display beautifully

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That particular style of Spanish is one of my favorites. Something about that design that I love. And those nice early ones aren't easy to find. I forgot to congratulate you on what I'm assuming is your 2 oldest coins. You were knocking on the 1600s door with those and not many can say that. That silver will display beautifully
thanks again, before this my oldest was a 1794 1/2 reale, these just slaughtered my oldest prior coin! How bout that George huh?? what a guy, what a guy lol

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic coin... great to get that spanish of your list and plus and old french copper that is still identifiable ....I remember the rush I got from it...was very similar to yours!! congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks again, before this my oldest was a 1794 1/2 reale, these just slaughtered my oldest prior coin! How bout that George huh?? what a guy, what a guy lol

Yup he's the sweetest lil man I know lol

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
455 NICE FINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks sutphin!, it was a blast!

Congrats! I would probably faint if I found that, glad you didn't. Good luck out there, keep on preserving history!
Thanks a lot, I thought I was gonna faint lol, heart pounding, shaking, what a rush!

Wicked finds from a wicked site. (Salivates...)

Thanks for sharing!
thanks gio, I hope George gets back there soon and nails it!

Real nice Silver there cjon , you did good , congrats .. cheers Mick
Thanks a lot Mick, its a great feeling im glad I can share with all of yas on tnet!

Very nice find!! You just beat my oldest silver by 36 years and at least one Spanish King! :thumbsup:
Thank you Erik, I beat my previous oldest by 66 yrs, I still cant believe it! I thought it was fake at first!!

Very nice Spanish silver there Cjon !! :occasion14: And another oldie to boot what a Great day !! Still searching for any kind of Spanish silver here and I have seen others get them its not impossible to get here !
Thanks CARM, it was a good silver day for me, I got two silvers 223 years apart lol!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely incredible find and in beautiful shape to boot- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver and the copper a dream hunt for sure for most of us.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic coin... great to get that spanish of your list and plus and old french copper that is still identifiable ....I remember the rush I got from it...was very similar to yours!! congrats
Hey thanks, I never noticed you got a 37 pistareen too, congrats on making banner on it, what an insane hobby we have!!!

Yup he's the sweetest lil man I know lol
Im sending him flowers as a thank you lol JK!

Wow thats a nice spanish silver..Congrats brother....:occasion14:
Thank you PP!!

Absolutely incredible find and in beautiful shape to boot- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --
Thanks Jeff, im probably never gonna beat that but that's ok with me lol!!

Congrats on the silver and the copper a dream hunt for sure for most of us.
it was such a great day, that was a short hunt too about 2 hrs!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris Fantastic finds.Wow just Wow. I can relate to the shaking. Congratulations. Oh those CSM boys are gonna want a return trip now for sure.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris Fantastic finds.Wow just Wow. I can relate to the shaking. Congratulations. Oh those CSM boys are gonna want a return trip now for sure.
Thanks tyler, I texted tom a pic and he told me to sit in the truck, 30 minute penalty lol then he tells George way to waste a Spanish silver on me lol!!!!!!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds !! Are you thinking about getting a ctx now ? Congrads :occasion14:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds !! Are you thinking about getting a ctx now ? Congrads :occasion14:
Thank you!, I liked that ctx, but I wouldn't buy one just yet, my wife is finally starting to get over my recent etrac purchase lol!!!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only could been better if you found a War Nickel too..hmm

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your oldest! It poured several times during the day here. Everything worked out just right for you yesterday:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest! It poured several times during the day here. Everything worked out just right for you yesterday:icon_thumright:

thanks dave!, what a freaking feeling, I cant explain, I literally thought I was gonna faint, it took forever to wipe the kool-aid smile from my face. The sites George has access to is unheard of, I just gotta get myself back to reality of what we find around here. Back to mercs and roosies, but im ok with that, after these 2 coins, I can care less about yearly total goals, quality over quantity right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread