UNBELIEVABLE FINDS OF A LIFETIME! 1728 SPANISH SILVER & 1722 FRENCH COPPER!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got out today down in good old Philadelphia with George. Started out at a 1700s riverfront home hes hit before, I didn't do to hot there but George made a couple of good finds there, I managed a flat button of sorts and the oil lamp part with the wick still attached , I cant quite make out the patent date. 20150623_202453.jpg After that we tried door knocking and let me tell you how very very old and beautiful these homes were. Tried to get permission at 2 different places before George decided to take me to the site of his 8 reale from a few weeks ago. George wanted me to try his CTX3030 all day and see what I thought, I gotta say im impressed with it, its pretty fast compared to my etrac, similar operations/tones/VDI's, etc though. So we get geared up and went down by the pond, within 10 minutes I got a LOUD AND CLEAR 10-41-ish tone, it was 10 40 something, still a blur, I kinda lost focus for a bit when I popped the plug and saw that familiar glimmer of silver, and upon closer inspection I see SPANISH!!!, I carry it over to George, shaking, near puking, lightheaded etc etc etc, and wiped the dirt off it in front of him to reveal the most beautiful coin I have ever dug, the oldest coin I have ever dug, Three hard fought years of wishing/hoping/dreaming brought me to this point, :headbang: 1728 SPANISH SILVER! :headbang: I cant believe it still!! big reale.jpg Untitledsdf.png Untitled.png George was nice enough to get in touch with Bill D and he identified it as a Spanish pistareen. I was so pumped to get this, George gave me a hard time a bit because of HIS machine on HIS site but it was all in good fun lol! I cant believe it was only 5 inches down, I could've easily got that with my etrac!, ok anyway after that I had a hard time focusing, I was haphazardly detecting around until I sat, focused, and slowed down, managed a few more decent finds such as the 1889 IH, and a Silver Roosie, and a fired musketball. we had to leave shortly after that but I was in the mood for a little more so I headed to the school from 2 weeks ago and very first signal was this Mystery copper, 20150623_204940.jpg 20150623_174556.jpg 20150623_202610.jpg I think I see FRAN___ something on the 2nd line of the one side of it. 20150623_202610.jpg its slightly larger than a US quarter, I got 6 wheats after that and left because the sky opened up on me. 20150623_202403.jpg 20150623_204924.jpg I don't know if I can ever top this day, likely not and im OK with that, today was by far the greatest detecting day I have ever had, thank you George!!! super awesome of you to share such a killer site with me, hope I can repay you someday

thanks for looking and hh!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 65

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy COW cjon - what a gorgeous coin. The condition!! And darn-near 300 years old. Incredible! Congrats my friend!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet that was the only hunt you were disappointed to pull a silver rosie. What an outstanding once in a lifetime coin. Congrats on finding your oldest..:occasion14:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you did it!!!
No modern silver will ever compare to the feeling you got today..If it was not 95 degrees out today I would of thought you were freezing, because how much you were shaking??? Lol.
Boy im sure glad I pulled that 8reale out of there the other week, before you got there! I might have thrown you in the pound. Lol.
Congrats Chris..That is a awsome coin. Glad I could see that coming out..
I post tomorrow, I have a great video of it.
George

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about that I thought I saw a date of 1967..

:laughing7::laughing7::tongue3:

Wow you pulled your 2 oldest coins in 1 day. :notworthy: Bet you have a hard time sleeping tonight.

Need to crack one open and celebrate :occasion14:

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well you did it!!!
No modern silver will ever compare to the feeling you got today..If it was not 95 degrees out today I would of thought you were freezing, because how much you were shaking??? Lol.
Boy im sure glad I pulled that 8reale out of there the other week, before you got there! I might have thrown you in the pound. Lol.
George

Either your luck or skill must be contagious. You're a great digging buddy to share a site like that. Kudos to you:notworthy:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some amazing colonial coins. Congrats
Post some pics of that French deniers when you get it cleaned up! Congrats.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you did it!!!
George
Thanks George, its unbelievable the history by you, I owe ya bigtime for sharing it with me! It was so darn hot out today a trip in the pond might not have been so bad lol!! Cant wait for your video!!

I don't know about that I thought I saw a date of 1967..

:laughing7::laughing7::tongue3:

Wow you pulled you 2 oldest coins in 1 day. :notworthy: Bet you have a hard time sleeping tonight.

Need to crack one open and celebrate :occasion14:
Thanks!, its after midnight and I still am in awe...... lol no sleep for this guy lol!!!

Either your luck or skill must be contagious. You're a great digging buddy to share a site like that. Kudos to you:notworthy:
Hes got a ton of sites like this, very lucky guy, generous too!

Those are some amazing colonial coins. Congrats
Post some pics of that French deniers when you get it cleaned up! Congrats.
Thanks Gheenoe!!, I think I got all its gonna give me as far as detail goes, I don't wanna ruin what little is left

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a big coin person but that is one Beautiful Silver!! Congrads to you!!..:thumbsup:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBELIEVABLE FIND OF A LIFETIME!! 1728 SPANISH SILVER!!

Holy freakin crap cjon!!! That's one crazy awesome silver coin! I know that shaky feeling when digging a "lifetime achievement" coin, what a rush...I was feeling it watching your vid haha!

That copper is really cool as well, seeing the pic before I read any comments, I figured it was going to be colonial.

Two amazing finds, big congrats! I have been in a bit of a slump lately but that video makes me want to go keep digging.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice Spanish silver there Cjon !! :occasion14: And another oldie to boot what a Great day !! Still searching for any kind of Spanish silver here and I have seen others get them its not impossible to get here !

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find!! You just beat my oldest silver by 36 years and at least one Spanish King! :thumbsup:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wicked finds from a wicked site. (Salivates...)

Thanks for sharing!

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I would probably faint if I found that, glad you didn't. Good luck out there, keep on preserving history!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
455 NICE FINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a gorgeous piece of Spanish. That is a killer early silver with great detail. And hey maybe you can yeah George to use all his other machines as well. I can't wait til you pull that chain cent in front of him with his machine :laughing7:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy freakin crap cjon!!! That's one crazy awesome silver coin! I know that shaky feeling when digging a "lifetime achievement" coin, what a rush...I was feeling it watching your vid haha!

That copper is really cool as well, seeing the pic before I read any comments, I figured it was going to be colonial.

Two amazing finds, big congrats! I have been in a bit of a slump lately but that video makes me want to go keep digging.

Thank you!, it was funny how I couldn't calm down to swing after that, it took like an hr to stop shaking, I told my wife that's it, I'm done, my detecting career is over lol kidding of course, george is freakin unbelievable with the sites he gets on and to share with others is just unheard of, what a day man, what a day. It was nice to pull that in front of george, he was truly happy for me, jealous, but happy lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread