Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Rob! One of my first finds (and favorite) when we were on holiday with my family in Devon and I got permission from a local farmer was a William III sixpence worn smooth and bent into an English love token. I think you know the type, they take two coins and have a blacksmith bend them in a vise into a shallow Z shape (I guess the theory is they are the only two coins that match each other). Guy gives one to his sweetheart. I had seen them before but was thrilled to find one!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh wow. That's a beauty coin. Found a W3 half penny on my side of the pond a few weeks ago.

Great find congrats!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Rob! One of my first finds (and favorite) when we were on holiday with my family in Devon and I got permission from a local farmer was a William III sixpence worn smooth and bent into an English love token. I think you know the type, they take two coins and have a blacksmith bend them in a vise into a shallow Z shape (I guess the theory is they are the only two coins that match each other). Guy gives one to his sweetheart. I had seen them before but was thrilled to find one!
Also, if the female declined the attention or they fell out, the coin was tossed in a field. A little like some rings are, from off bridges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hello Erik, yes love tokens are very nice finds. Probably because they tell a tale, but not the outcome.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find on the sixpence, lots of detail for being a love token.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot must have fell out Cru. With the amount that turn up.Still that's love for ya.:laughing7:

I've had quite a few as well. Its hard to know the truth of why so many turn up in fields that have no footpaths & are out of the way. Other conflicting stories of these, said they were placed at their favourite spot, but I'm not convinced.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a killer coin, very cool!
congrats!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really? Rarer to find a coin of this type (William III?) than one made into a love token? It seems that most of the examples of English love tokens of this type that I have seen a very well worn coins to the point of almost being smooth (like the one I found). Is there a reason these coins were used as opposed to lesser worn examples?

Hello pepperj, it's not been made into a love token, it's still a coin. Rarer to find the coins, than a love token.Robert.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Really? Rarer to find a coin of this type (William III?) than one made into a love token? It seems that most of the examples of English love tokens of this type that I have seen a very well worn coins to the point of almost being smooth (like the one I found). Is there a reason these coins were used as opposed to lesser worn examples?
Perhaps they were so worn, they could no longer be passed as a coin.:dontknow:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I've had quite a few as well. Its hard to know the truth of why so many turn up in fields that have no footpaths & are out of the way. Other conflicting stories of these, said they were placed at their favourite spot, but I'm not convinced.
True Cru, as the rhyme goes, there was a crooked man, who walked a crooked mile, he found a crooked sixpence, upon a crooked stile !. Think when you look at the wear on them, these love tokens, were made in the 18th century.Robert.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, that is correct. This is how many Dad & I have found (below), & we only have about half of that that are not love tokens.

I've had 1 Queen Anne, & a couple of Geo's but most are Will III. They are so smooth, they must have been done in the late 18th C. Some are Shillings, most are Sixpences, but you even get copper halfpennies/farthings as well.

The worn ones are picked because they are close to being out of circulation. Not acceptable as a coin any more, thats why the ones that stayed in circulation where countermarked by silver smiths.

As so many of them turn up, there must be a good reason, can't all be 'just lost'.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a great find for us!!! Excellent save!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions