Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out before the heavy rains this morning. Found a 3 ring bullet, 1957 Wheat, and a 1905 Barber Dime. Wasn't til I got home that I noticed a stamped number 2 on its neck. Thanks to Cjon for telling me it was a Counter stamp. Anyone know why they did this?
KIMG0339.jpg
KIMG0336.jpg
KIMG0333.jpg
KIMG0332.jpg

Upvote 10

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Will. Nice counter stamped dime. I have yet to find one.

Congrats

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHIPORWHIL I MEAN NEPA WILL NEAT GROUP FOR A POST RAINY DAY DIG........

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Finds.
Still waiting for some 'Ground Softening' rain here.+ Some T-Storms that I love.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find.
I'm glad you were able to beat the rain. I'm in MD and it's pouring here too; a real soaker today.

Guess I should have gotten up earlier.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not a counterstamp in the true sense of the word (see definition below). It may have been used as a tool tag or in a game or lottery or something where a series of dimes were struck with a punch. Or someone may have just defaced it for fun. It has character though...neat find!

Countermark or Counterstamp Partial or complete over-stamping of a coin or token in order to change its value or issuing authority, or to display an advertisement, political slogan or symbol, etc. Stamping may consist of a number (value), symbol (authority), letters (advertisement or slogan), or any combination of the above.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save!!

That barber is cool and that 2 stamped on it is different, love to know the story behind that.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great barber:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Nepa-Will

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Whatever is is stamped on there for. If not a counterstamp. Then at least I learned something new.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told that banks would also counterstamp coins to authenticate them back when counterfeiting was prevalent. I didn't think counter stamping was still a practice in the 1900's. That is a neat find Will. Great job finding the 3 ringer. I have tried and tried to find my second one, but they are very rare here in our area.

OP
OP
Nepa-Will

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told that banks would also counterstamp coins to authenticate them back when counterfeiting was prevalent. I didn't think counter stamping was still a practice in the 1900's. That is a neat find Will. Great job finding the 3 ringer. I have tried and tried to find my second one, but they are very rare here in our area.
Thanks OD. Was happy to finally get out today. Work has been keeping me from detecting. Haven't really had the chance for Tnet lately either. Been one of the busiest roofing seasons ever. Guess that's a good thing. I have found several 3 ringers, but I hunt the woods frequently.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive hunt, very interesting dime stamp.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks OD. Was happy to finally get out today. Work has been keeping me from detecting. Haven't really had the chance for Tnet lately either. Been one of the busiest roofing seasons ever. Guess that's a good thing. I have found several 3 ringers, but I hunt the woods frequently.

When I found mine, TheCannonballGuy gave me a lot of info on them for our area. He said since there were no skirmishes here, any we find would either have been fired in a training camp before the soldier went south in the war, or by a hunter that had received them after the war when some of the guns and ammo were sold as surplus.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on that unique barber dime, better than any plain one anyday!, plus you got one of my bucket list items, that elusive 3 ringer!
hey don't mind the busy roofing, ya gotta make hay while the grass is growing, construction is often feast or famine!

Congrats on the goods!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread