Finally silver, some religious stuff & NAZI BOYSCOUTS ?????

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Finally silver, some religious stuff & NAZI BOYSCOUTS ?????

Went out to a couple of spots today, first was a yard in the country that has produced ALOT of pennies, wheats & IH. Then we hit the spot that gave me my LC, ended up breaking the silver drought there(YAY MERC !!!). Over the last two days I have hit several cool religious medals, I don't read latin so I don't know what they say, but the round one in the 2nd pic, I'm pretty sure is silver. We have also hit the usual trash and clad and about 2 dozen wheats between my buddy and I.

Now for the weird one. I dug the last token today at the yard that turned up the LC, I thought it might have been another one, but......um.....nope. I am just curious if anyone knows anything about the symbolism, I understand the horseshoe, clover, etc... as "lucky" symbols, but whats up with the swastika ?? Just curious - HH, all.

Attachments

• 5-15-07(01).jpg
    5-15-07(01).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 796
  • 5-15-07(03).jpg
    5-15-07(03).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 736
  • 5-15-07(02).jpg
    5-15-07(02).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 786
  • 5-15-07(04).jpg
    5-15-07(04).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 744
  • 5-15-07(05).jpg
    5-15-07(05).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 742
Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: Finally silver, some religious stuff & NAZI BOYSCOUTS ?????

Nice finds Great Boy scout medal.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe the swastika was a symbol of good luck before Hitler and the gang got ahold of it.

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used

I know about it's use in native american and other cultures, but isn't it supposed to be backwards for one or the other ??

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

Awesome find!!

The boy scout token is for Excelisor Shoes. There was 3 varieties produced.
Last year I found one these tokens at a small town church. It's value was $10-$15.

The 'swastika' is actually reverse from the nazi version. If memory serves me, the Native American Indians (Cherokee?) used the symbol for luck and for peace. Prior to WW2, the symbol was widespread, however Hitler changed that and people began to associate the luck symbol with the Nazi symbol.

My question is when you found it, did your heart skip a beat or two for a brief second?
Mine did.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

it was a old indain symbol--- both native american and India the country--good luck symbol---note the date* in 1910 it was "lucky" symbol like the others on the coin--nothing more---note this is a good bit before hitler and his nutjobs ( late 1920's thru 1945) screwed up its meaning----hilter "flipped" it the other way and thus high jacked the symbol and twisted its meaning and sadly thus perverted its meaning---even to this very day its veiwed as a "nazi-symbol"--- much more than its "pure" and true meaning--Ivan

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The swastika is an ancient symbol found worldwide, but it is especially common in India. It can be seen in the art of the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Celts, Native Americans, and Persians as well Hindus, Jains and Buddhists. The swastika's Indian name comes the Sanskrit word svasti, meaning good fortune, luck and well being.

swastika-korea-cc-lance-johnson-200.jpg

Swastika on a Buddhist Temple door in Korea.

Leave it to Hitler to turn a good thing bad...

DCMatt

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac

;D ;D WTG gold fish... Congrats on the beautiful merc...

B

BIG61AL

Wish I could find coins and tokens like that. WAY COOL FINDS!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love all those finds, Fish! 8) That merc looks great too!

Congrats! Nana :)

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

Very cool finds. I have one of another variety. On another note. I have noticed that almost everyone says "reverse swastica" or something to that affect. Hitler did not flip it or reverse it. Nazis used it in the same direction as the good luck symbol is generally used (but not always), as evidenced in the picture of the door to the buddist temple. The arms point to the right in good luck and in hate.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold Fish - Sweet Finds.

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used

vwayne1 said:
Very cool finds. I have one of another variety. On another note. I have noticed that almost everyone says "reverse swastica" or something to that affect. Hitler did not flip it or reverse it. Nazis used it in the same direction as the good luck symbol is generally used (but not always), as evidenced in the picture of the door to the buddist temple. The arms point to the right in good luck and in hate.

Um.....the arms on the token are opposite to the arms on the temple door. Maybe it's just me.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

Good luck symbols, including the boy scout token, and nazi symbol, arms point to the right. I am saying that there are exclusions, such as the one on the door. Generaly speaking, neither is a reverse swastika.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Swastika has been a symbol long before the Nazi party was ever thought of.

Archaeological evidence of swastika shaped ornaments goes back to the Neolithic period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread