🥇 BANNER Took me 28 years of detecting, I finally did it.. Gold Coin !

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There i was at my favorite local park, heading towards the car, swinging on the way of course and I got a signal, I remember thinking, "Oh another pull tab probably" but it wasn't a pull tab, it shined back at me as if it was minted yesterday. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, is this a full sovereign? I had only seen them a few time in youtube videos, but there it was 1900 Queen Victoria Full Sovereign. I was shaking, I couldn't even drive, I had to wait a few minutes and chill out.

I am beyond thrilled.. I love this little coin. I love this hobby. Got it with the AT Gold my favorite detector.

Gold Sovereign first pic.jpg Gold Sovereign obverse.jpg

More pics..
Gold Sovereign comparison to nickel.jpg reverse Sovereign.jpg

Here is the entire 6-7 hour hunt. There was even a kids buried cache in a plastic box that was sealed in a ziplock bag. With 24 pennies a zippo and a plastic gem.
total hunt.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 111

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply beautiful.Never have seen one like that posted !Any Victoria coins are scarce in the U.S.A.i would love to find a foreign piece of gold.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Did you check around the hole? Go back! There might be more....congrats to you.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like the one I always wanted to find....

Banner vote

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin was worth waiting for. Congratulations & happy hunting.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What not Banner yet? Do people not see this on Timeline option on smartphone. I could see if it was buried under Garrett or whatever but Today's Finds usually gets hundreds of hits

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Banner find of a life time for sure!

Glad your ok, I think I would have ended up in the ER, babbling about finding a gold coin.

We really need a term for the finding of AWEOME stuff on the way back to the car!

....excuse me while I stare at your gold coin and slobber on my screen...

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Good job representing Michigan! Heck of a nice find! I can only wish to get that lucky! Well and keep it up, can't wait to see how you one that find! [emoji3]

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a sovereign, it's actually a pull tab! :laughing7:

I wonder how many we've gone over thinking the same? Where was it on the scale?

BTW, BANNER! :occasion14:

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.....AT Gold is my favorite also.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are in the gold coin club now, I am still waiting.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
here4themoney

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone , i haven't been on here to reply because I been out there in the park looking for it's friends, lol.. Didn't find any others yet though and I am going back in the morning to look some more.. I will try to address some of the questions and add more better pics.

what is the weight? It is 8 grams

What was the VDI? At the time I don't remember and the ground was wet and that changes the numbers a little sometimes, But doing an air test now it is coming up 67-68 , So I must have been thinking "oh another pull tab".

here are some additional pics.

Gold Sovereign comparison to nickel.jpg Gold Sovereign obverse.jpg reverse Sovereign.jpg

Here was the total take that day , about 6-7 hours of hunting. there was even a kids buried treasure in a plastic bag that consisted of 24 pennies a zippo lighter and a plastic gem.
total hunt.jpg

OP
OP
here4themoney

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a sovereign, it's actually a pull tab! :laughing7:

I wonder how many we've gone over thinking the same? Where was it on the scale?

BTW, BANNER! :occasion14:

It came up 67-68 when I just did an air test , thats just like a pull tab. i am glad I wasn't in one of my screw the pull tab moods..lol

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
Interesting find!

The coin could have been carried to Michigan from Canada.

British sovereigns were used as money in Canada at that time (1900).

:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
here4themoney

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find!

The coin could have been carried to Michigan from Canada.

British sovereigns were used as money in Canada at that time (1900).

:)

It's quite possible , the property the park is on was the property of a prominent family who lived on the property in the 1800's to the early 1900's. The property is different than the surrounding area , it is very hilly and everything around it is flat.

I started detecting at this park from a tip. I was at a different local park and a man told me that I needed to check this other park, that it has old coins just laying on the ground and that he and his friends would pick them up right off the ground, he said they were old silver coins that were worn so bad you couldn't tell what they were.. Well I went there to see for myself and just so happened to find a 1922 peace Dollar just laying on the ground, super weird.. Then after a few hunts of just clad i found a 1887 Un Centavo Mexican coin, not on the ground but like 4 inches deep. I didn't find good coins every hunt there but I always find more clad than any other park and junk jewelry, seems almost like virgin ground, even though it's a park. This Gold coin was 3-4 inches down. It's a special place I am going back in the morning with some friends from my local club. :) I like to share favorite spots with the right people and I hope they find something great :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread