Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appears to have R F above a 7. Dug near my 1781 Hibernia coin. Any ideas?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435523148.632290.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435523159.859916.jpg

Upvote 4

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one, and I think Ironhorse dug something similar, if not the same, and it stuck in my mind because at first glance one would think 7th Royal Fusiliers (They were the 7th Regt.) But I believe it's probably something like Royal Fencibles 7th battalion.

Here's a good place to send it. Very friendly guy and will help.

http://asahelena.wix.com/militarybuttons#!buttons-p-r/c1iyx

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J. Eginton, Birmingham, UK; Produced Military buttons in the 1780's-1800's range.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one, and I think Ironhorse dug something similar, if not the same, and it stuck in my mind because at first glance one would think 7th Royal Fusiliers (They were the 7th Regt.) But I believe it's probably something like Royal Fencibles 7th battalion.

Online Database of Early British Military Buttons

Yeap, email a picture & you will get an answer soon. Please update?

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY 79 THAT A NICE FIND....................................................

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

http://asahelena.wix.com/militarybuttons#!buttons-p-r/c1iyx

He was very helpful and this is some of what info I have gotten back from him...

"It is a new pattern that I have certainly not seen before to the 7th Regt of Foot which is the Royal Fusiliers.

The Egington back mark places it c1795-1815. Egington started out as a swordsmith and was called Eggington, so anything earlier has two G's. He later 'refined' his name twice, Egington and finally Eginton so we can be fairly accurate on date."

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was very helpful and this is some of what info I have gotten back from him...

"It is a new pattern that I have certainly not seen before to the 7th Regt of Foot which is the Royal Fusiliers.

The Egington back mark places it c1795-1815. Egington started out as a swordsmith and was called Eggington, so anything earlier has two G's. He later 'refined' his name twice, Egington and finally Eginton so we can be fairly accurate on date."

Interesting. The inner part other than the lettering does match the fusiliers buttons, and several have turned up here including one dug by myself.... but I have a pretty hard time accepting this is a newly discovered button for such a well known regiment.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. The inner part other than the lettering does match the fusiliers buttons, and several have turned up here including one dug by myself.... but I have a pretty hard time accepting this is a newly discovered button for such a well known regiment.

Its only a new discovered 'pattern'. I have had 5, some of famous Regs. No-one studies them much here & very few if any are recorded. The PAS don't accept them but the UKDFD does & these buttons are very rare finds in the UK. More turn up overseas.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its only a new discovered 'pattern'. I have had 5, some of famous Regs. No-one studies them much here & very few if any are recorded. The PAS don't accept them but the UKDFD does & these buttons are very rare finds in the UK. More turn up overseas.

Yes, new obscure buttons from small militia units show up all the time but the 7th Regt. of foot Royal Fusiliers is much different. I tell ya looking at everything on that button it's starting to make me think it does point at that ID. Funny my brain can get close to yes it makes total sense but my gut is still no. I hope we get an answer.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, new obscure buttons from small militia units show up quite often and that is exactly what I think this is. Well not even new, just takes the right person to ID it. I highly doubt it's 7th of foot Fusiliers, because that regiment is well known and studied. Huge difference in the two types.

I get what your saying, but I don't know of any of those types of Militia ever having a number like '7'.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also it has the moto;
Honi soit qui mal y pense

This Order of the Garter was given to the Fusiliers, & it was reserved for the larger regiments & not the Militia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honi_soit_qui_mal_y_pense
See above the types of Regiment that got it.

That's why I say my brain can get there because everything is right. Pretty amazing if it is a new 7th foot.... and that makes two of them because I'm pretty sure Ironhorse has one.

PS: This Regt. is not something that is new to me, I dug a fusiliers button in my first 2 months detecting. And Ironhorse dug one ( usual type) and Romeo, the Patriot too... and my old buddy the Cladman dug a beautiful coat and cuff on the same day many years back. So they do turn up here on the east coast so I guess if a new one was to show, Nova Scotia is a good a place as any.

I'm close to convinced now. Everything says yes and really nothing says no.

Last edited:

BritHunter

Jun 29, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites SL II Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The maker's information on the back of the button can help identify where it was made and when; Firmins is one of the most well known of the 19th century firms - certainly for livery buttons. I recall finding a silver plated button with a Negro head in the early 1980s that I wrote to the company (still in existence then, not sure about now) to get more information on.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The maker's information on the back of the button can help identify where it was made and when; Firmins is one of the most well known of the 19th century firms - certainly for livery buttons. I recall finding a silver plated button with a Negro head in the early 1980s that I wrote to the company (still in existence then, not sure about now) to get more information on.

Welcome to Tnet:occasion14:

We already know the Egington back mark places it c1795-1815.

As we have been debating, it's an odd new pattern for the 7th, but at the moment its the best answer we can come to.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate everyone's input on this one. Thanks!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button, brother. :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
R F 7 -- as in Royal Fusiliers 7 th or Royal Fencibles 7th ( war of 1812 era)-- look up where these units were during the war of 1812 era which one or both maybe served in your area ..if only one did think you might have a answer to your question --what time frame / unit it was from..

I note the only the NOVA SCOTIA FENCIBLES --WERE STATIONED IN NOCA SCOTIA DURING THE WAR OF 1812 * if they were not the 7th ..then the button must be from "regular army troops" -- ie --the 7th Royal Fusiliers ..

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R F 7 -- as in Royal Fusiliers 7 th or Royal Fencibles 7th ( war of 1812 era)-- look up where these units were during the war of 1812 era which one or both maybe served in your area ..if only one did think you might have a answer to your question --what time frame / unit it was from..

I note the only the NOVA SCOTIA FENCIBLES --WERE STATIONED IN NOCA SCOTIA DURING THE WAR OF 1812 * if they were not the 7th ..then the button must be from "regular army troops" -- ie --the 7th Royal Fusiliers ..

Not even sure if Royal Fencibles 7th even exists, that was just a name I was throwing out there to suggest it was something other than the Fusiliers. At this point I would need an alternative ID to believe it's not Fusiliers because I can list a whole lot of points how it's consistent with the 7th Fus., and only one that it's not, which is it says RF7 and not VII in the center. As I said in another post quite a few typical 7th Foot buttons have been found on Canada's East coast and I don't think the Regt. was here, but clearly there was soldier that settled here. Gotta love a good detecting mystery!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the 7th royal fusiiliers was based around Q 'bec during the war of 1812 era and was active in the battles quite a bit ..
according to the reports I read

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 7th royal fusiiliers was based around Q 'bec during the war of 1812 era and was active in the battles quite a bit ..
according to the reports I read

Finding info. on them is not an issue, they are the British 7th Regiment of foot. That is the quandary here, how could an 1812 button pattern of such a famous Regiment not be known until now. This does actually happen for earlier buttons but would be a surprise for this particular one from this time period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread