my find today..old map locations vs "new map locations" -rollingson ferry / raulerson

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my find today..old map locations vs "new map locations" -rollingson ferry / raulerson

while doing research using a old 1864 era civil war map of south Georgia / northern Florida AND LOOKING AT MODERN MAPS TO SEE COMMON OLD ROAD VS NEW ROADS ... I saw a ferry location marked "ROLLINGSON'S Fy" on the 1864 map .... knowing the area ...there is a road (creek 120 road) called FREDRIC RAULERSON ROAD ... AND IT CROSSES THE RIVER AT ABOUT THE SAME SPOT AS THE OLD "ROLLINGSON" FERRY SPOT WAS ON THE 1864 MAP ... so it is clear to me that the yankee map maker in 1864 learned of the ferry crossing spot and spelt the name incorrectly -- as "ROLLINGSON" vs the correct name of RAULERSON ... SO THE FERRY LOCATION WOULD BE AT WHERE WHERE MODERN ROAD 120 CREEK ROAD.... CROSSES THE RIVER AT "RAULERSON'S FERRY"...

Last edited:
Upvote 3

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WAIT FOR ME ,WAIT FOR ME , AH BE DAMMM IF YOU ARE GOING BY YOURSELF , ANYWAY I NO I WONT GET TO GO BUT BEST OF LUCK TO YOU IVAN , FOR I NEED TO START DOING RESEARCH TO FIND OLD AREAS TO HUNT. CANT WAIT TILL YOU POST SOMETHING. VANZUTPHEN

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! That's how history's secrets are found!

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As much as you want to say that the Yankee misspelled the name (perhaps he couldn't understand what the heck y'all were sayin') but the truth is spelling was very, shall we say, "flexible" back then. Just a check of family census records and you can see that it can very greatly. Also, he may have been copying from a cruder, hand drawn map with bad penmanship. Supposedly Nome, Alaska got its name from a map that said "Name?" and was transcribed as "Nome".
The thing to remember is that when reading old maps being close to the right spelling may be all you need to hit the right spot. Not a guarantee, but always worth further investigation.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many things were often spelt "phonically" in the old days .... basically how it sounded to the writer was how it got spelled ..this 1864 map of southern Georgia / northern Florida was written by a union coastal survey map maker (sea chart map maker) ... so the inland area where this ferry was at had to be told or described to him by a union informer ... the said name of RAULERSON'S FERRY ... could easily be thought to be ROLLINGSON'S FERRY ... THUS THE MAP MAKING ERROR ..MIS IDING THE SPOT..

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run into this constantly in my research. I've hunted a couple of ferry landings with great success. My first Spanish silver came from a ferry landing along with several other firsts. Great research and best of luck to you if you hunt it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread