Spanish Real (Dating?)

Blackbeered

Greenie
Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! Been a lurker for a long time and enjoy seeing everyone's cool finds. Well last night I found one of my own by accident. From what I can tell it is a Spanish Real probably mid 1500s. I found it along the Texas coast on a beach embedded in the sand while looking for some particular shells, thus the heavy erosion and poor condition. Would anyone be able to provide more of an exact date or other info about this piece?

Thanks guys!

PSX_20150629_230947.jpg
PSX_20150629_231056.jpg

Upvote 9

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That's a heck of an eye-ball find!!! Way to go.....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice coin recovery!

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Better run a detector over that spot!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great eyeball find. Could we see a color picture?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Congrats!

Welcome on board T Net!

OP
OP
B

Blackbeered

Greenie
Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully it's not a reproduction, but if not it appears to be a Spanish 2 reale from the early-to-mid 1500s. It's called "Charles and Johanna" coinage based on the link below. Awesome find!!

Colonial Spanish Silver - Charles and Johanna

Thanks for the info Bill. I assure you it is not a reproduction and the wear can pretty much determine that. This was found miles from civilization in a desolate area. Here are the original color photos requested...

20150629_224301.jpg
20150629_224327.jpg

OP
OP
B

Blackbeered

Greenie
Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also, I noticed on the link you provided and other very 'similar' coins I was able to research on the web that the lettering to right of the shield is the location of mint and left is the assayer. So your example is G on left, M on right (for Mexico according to your link). Well on my coin it is M on the left, and an 'I' or 'L' on the right... what would this mean???

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's held up pretty well for being in the surf/sand for so long. I found a Spanish Marevedis Cob (made of copper) from ca same time frame that was IDable, but in much rougher shape than your coin. It had also apparently been in the ocean for a looooong time.

OP
OP
B

Blackbeered

Greenie
Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's held up pretty well for being in the surf/sand for so long. I found a Spanish Marevedis Cob (made of copper) from ca same time frame that was IDable, but in much rougher shape than your coin. It had also apparently been in the ocean for a looooong time.

Wow, I thought it was actually in pretty poor shape! At least you made me feel better! LOL Although this could be in any shape, I am simply overjoyed with the find. This area is known to have vigorous winds, currents, and tides bury and uncover things repeatedly so who knows how long it was in the water and how long it was in the sand.

OP
OP
B

Blackbeered

Greenie
Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... I am very curious about what I am is assuming to be the 'L' on the right hand side of the shield. Researching further I guess I'm just confused in regards to the assayer and the mintmark... as it seems like they can switch sides? I don't know if 'L' is possibly for Lima or for the assayer "Luis Rodríguez (Assayer L), 1554?-1569" as according to this pdf link... http://www.sedwickcoins.com/articles/carlosyjuana.pdf

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Maravedis Cob must have been in the water for a long time as the details were just barely recognizable--I had to have an expert tell me what it was and draw in the features, but sure enough a good pair of eyes on it confirmed it was from the 1500s! I found it with my detector near the remains of a WW II gun emplacement on a former British island possession. First I thought, wow a really old coin, then I thought a modern penny that some bored soldier smashed beyond recognition. Sure enough it was revealed to be a Maravedis Cob - counter-struck...could have even been late 1400s for the original copper cob. I was elated, even in the condition it was in, as I'm sure you are--that's a really old coin and the 1500s barrier is really tough to break this side of the "pond." You may want to check the area with your detector -- may be more out there waiting for you.

OP
OP
B

Blackbeered

Greenie
Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M on the left and L on the right would mean Mexico City mint and Luis Rodriguez (to 1570) as the assayer; considered a "Late Series" pillars coin.
Don...

Ok, that makes sense! Thank you very much for the help everyone! Very stoked!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice find and trust me that is in great condition for a coin that's been rolling around for 450 years

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's cool. Great find and congratulations. As many have said, 1500's is a tough go in the New World.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW. Congrats on a really nice find. Welcome to TNet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread