Iron Relic found at Confederate Virginia site - What could it be?

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I found this iron thing-ama-jig at a site that is supposedly connected to confederate cavalry. Seeing how I found a ton of blacksmith made horseshoes, and I mean a ton, i'm guessing that assumption is spot on. Although I do not know what this thing really is, it has sparked my interest so I was hoping someone with some experience could tell me. For some reason, when I look at it I automatically think of a drill... The end of it looks like it was inserted into the tool... kind of like a drill bit, But I don't know. Did they even have drills in the civil war??? Hopefully someone tells me its a Rare drill used on cannons which only 2 are known to exist, andddd is worth around $5,000. Haha! Thanks in advance. Oh and also, I cleaned it with an steel brush and finished it off with some oil.

front.jpg back.jpg

Upvote 4

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Certainly looks like a tool for boring, like a bit and brace at first glance, but the end looks like it may have turned some sort of wheel/gear/bolt that it was inserted into. What are the dimensions? Looks like it's sitting on a 2 x 6.

Cool looking old tool--I hope it's something good :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response Erik, I just measured it, and it is exactly 5" long with a width of approx. 3"

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At that size it certainly wasn't meant to be used as a traditional bit and brace which would have to be big enough to fit and adult hand in the outlying section. Definitely looks like it was inserted into something to help turn it like a wheel or a gear or similar. Will let the experts chime in. Sounds like you have an amazing site there! You should post a group pic of all the shoes.

Thanks for the response Erik, I just measured it, and it is exactly 5" long with a width of approx. 3"

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The curve of the tool doesn't appear that it once held a swiveling piece of wood to hold on to like most bit & brace's have. And this tool is quite small.

S

stefen

Your thingamabob might be from a disk or tiller from the turn of the century or later...just a WAG
Somebody will place a name, time and use for it.

FYI

I just happen to have a blacksmith-made wood brace and bits made prior to the CW.

The bits are attached by a threaded bolt/nut placed horizontal thru the brace end.

More contemporary braces with the rachet-type bit holder from the late 1890's or thereabouts are worth....maybe $30 to $40 bucks

Mine is a little rougher and is more of a wall-hanger, is maybe another $10 bucks or so.

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At that size it certainly wasn't meant to be used as a traditional bit and brace which would have to be big enough to fit and adult hand in the outlying section. Definitely looks like it was inserted into something to help turn it like a wheel or a gear or similar. Will let the experts chime in. Sounds like you have an amazing site there! You should post a group pic of all the shoes.

Thanks Erik, to my surprise I haven't found many non ferrous metal at this site, just a few pieces of brass bits. And it also seems that all the iron is concentrated on a washed out hillside. There I found all the horse shoes, square nails, and this tool. Maybe it was the site of a blacksmith shop?

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your thingamabob might be from a disk or tiller from the turn of the century or later...just a WAG
Somebody will place a name, time and use for it.

FYI

I just happen to have a blacksmith-made wood brace and bits made prior to the CW.

The bits are attached by a threaded bolt/nut placed horizontal thru the brace end.

More contemporary braces with the rachet-type bit holder from the late 1890's or thereabouts are worth....maybe $30 to $40 bucks

Mine is a little rougher and is more of a wall-hanger, is maybe another $10 bucks or so.

I doubt that its that new. The reason I think that its period is because of the seclusion of this site. There are some railroad tracks nearby, but that's about it. Its along a river and doesn't appear that it has been farmed in the past... the land doesn't look right for it. Thanks for your response

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly? But if it was used for corks, then why would it have the curve in the tool? Who knows ???

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The offset reminds me of some kind of crankshaft, like the one the connecting rod is attached to on an old treadle sewing machine, but that doggone T is throwing me a curve.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe a multi-purpose tool. The T handle would turn it along one axis (perpendicular to the handle -- a tool could potentially be affixed to the curved part to get more leverage possibly). Or the curved part would fit in a slot and turn on a secondary axis perpendicular to the first such that you could get one hand on each side of the curved section that was inserted into a slot--similar to one of those + shaped wrenches for removing lug nuts. Just a guess.

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe that you have a very badly rusted horse bit. The "U" is the center port and one side is missing. The other would have been much longer (with a matched other side).

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1990 I DO BELEIVE YOU ARE RIGHT.

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that you have a very badly rusted horse bit. The "U" is the center port and one side is missing. The other would have been much longer (with a matched other side).

Wow 1990, I have to say I see where your coming from . I looked up some civil war period horse bits and it sure does look like that could have been it. Im not positive, but that's what I'm going with for now. And the site it was found at would further support thes idea. Thanks!

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 1990, Erik, and everyone else for the help! What would us metaldetectorists do without a site like this? And to think there's people out there that don't even know it exists! They probably have found things they will never know the true identity of. Now that I look at it again, I can see where one of the rings broke off, something I never even regarded before. So I'm definitely going with broken horse bit.

Last edited:

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is, it wasn't designed for a high duty cycle. Maybe a part for a treadle, like a foot pumped bellows.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a horse bit! Sorry

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking at images of horse bits I can see the where there is similarities. What throws this off is the thickness of the shaft on the T end compared to the open end which would be in line with a rusted bit. I'm thinking a broken horse bit that has been repurposed for some other use.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those old horse bits. Cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions