May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connecticut Copper 90 degree Reverse

Went back to the field where I had dug a revolutionary Loyalist button.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...oyal-provincial-rev-button-nj-ct-coppers.html
We had a horrific downpour that dumped heavy rain through the day, the moisture helped bring some targets out of hiding. I went with a big coil hoping to pull some deep targets. The 178? Connecticut copper was one of them at an honest 18 inches. Tony was staring down into the hole where the coin came from and was amazed. The reverse of the Connecticut is rotated 90 degrees. Its not in the best of shape but was surprised when I realized the obverse was rotated. The George the lll was also at a very deep depth. A few buttons and some eye candy. The field pic is of Tony hunting in the iron. Art

Attachments

• Ct1.jpg
    Ct1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Ct2.jpg
    Ct2.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 20150701_104201-crop.jpg
    20150701_104201-crop.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 112
  • G111 (1).jpg
    G111 (1).jpg
    232 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150610_171419-crop.jpg
    20150610_171419-crop.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Upvote 9

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the awesome early coppers. I envy you hunters back east. So much history.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old coppers like those certainly can get deep.As for myself I could not dig that deep.You really found some history of our country.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THERE ARTY......

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art with the rotation of the obverse do you think that the coin is a counterfeit or error?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE DIGS!! :icon_thumright:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Art
A Connecticut State copper with a rotation is decent find....
kool when one shows up
:cake:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art,

You are lucky to have a plowed field you can hunt this time of year. Nice finds. When that field settles and flattens out your should be able to pull more out that you can't hear now.

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tylerbdad
Art with the rotation of the obverse do you think that the coin is a counterfeit or error?

There were both, counterfeit and errors.

Connecticut Coppers -1787 part 2

CMDiamonddawg
Hi Art
kool when one shows up
cake.png

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]eThanks Dawg. I was very surprised when I flipped it to look at the reverse things didn't add up right away.

[/FONT]Steve in PA
Art,

You are lucky to have a plowed field you can hunt this time of year. Nice finds. When that field settles and flattens out your should be able to pull more out that you can't hear now.

It is a good thing. The field is not going to be planted. With time, gravity, and the help of rain it should give up some good stuff.

​Thank you everyone for your nice replies. Art

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
18 inches????!!!! Dang Dude, that's incredible.
That's a really deep find; not to mention a really nice and really old find.

Congrats. I'm pretty sure my machine would' missed that one at that depth. That's some excellent detecting there and I salute you.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CT coppers were sloppily produced and there are many varieties as you know including re-strikes on existing coins. I'm little surprised at the 90 degree rotation, but it's a nice find for sure! What do you mean by "they were both, counterfeits and errors?" in response to his question whether your coin was a counterfeit or an error?

18" on a halfpenny with White's DFX or MXT? I know you find a lot of good stuff Art, I'm in NJ too.....I would love to watch you pull a coin or something that size from 18" and I will trade in my Explorer and CTX-3030 for a White's. LMK if I can drop by and and watch you do that--the Minelab's will go straight on Craig's List :thumbsup:

tylerbdad

There were both, counterfeit and errors.

Connecticut Coppers -1787 part 2

CMDiamonddawg
Hi Art
kool when one shows up
cake.png

eThanks Dawg. I was very surprised when I flipped it to look at the reverse things didn't add up right away.

Steve in PA
Art,

It is a good thing. The field is not going to be planted. With time, gravity, and the help of rain it should give up some good stuff.

​Thank you everyone for your nice replies. Art

Last edited:
OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CT coppers were sloppily produced and there are many varieties as you know including re-strikes on existing coins. I'm little surprised at the 90 degree rotation, but it's a nice find for sure! What do you mean by "they were both, counterfeits and errors?" in response to his question whether your coin was a counterfeit or an error?

18" on a halfpenny with White's DFX or MXT? I know you find a lot of good stuff Art, I'm in NJ too.....I would love to watch you pull a coin or something that size from 18" and I will trade in my Explorer and CTX-3030 for a White's. LMK if I can drop by and and watch you do that--the Minelab's will go straight on Craig's List :thumbsup:

I have read that there were counterfeits and errors on the Connecticut coppers that were misaligned. It was not a half penny but a Connecticut copper. As far as trading in your machine I do not know. I use both a MXT, and a DFX. These targets were found with the DFX. After trying many coils I have found that the Ultimate 13 inch coil on any machine will bring your current machine to a new depth. My other hunting partner NJ Jim uses the ultimate on has Tec LTD and it turned it into a new machine. Tony had hit the same place I found the coppers with his 3030. I had a watch at 19 inches that he came over and checked with his machine and it was was absolutely silent. I dont know about his settings, but after seven years I know about mine and the ultimate coil, it rocks. Art

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread