First Seated, and an Old One Too!

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Detecting in Utah, you don't expect to find many older coins. The pioneers who founded the state only came in around 1847, so settlements are typically much newer than that. That is why this find was so exciting!

I wasn't really feeling like knocking on doors today, so I decided to try to find someplace a little "out of the way" to look. Only a half a mile away from my front door is a small park, and having looked at some old aerial photographs of the area, I knew it was at least old enough that I might find something good that someone may have missed. I went out and set up my detector to start, picked a corner that looked promising and was mostly overgrown weeds and dirt. Not 5 steps along a dirt path through these dry, dead weeds I got a strong dime signal on my detector. The depth meter said it was practically on the surface! Initially I thought it was going to be a clad dime, being so close to the surface. I jabbed my trowel into the dirt, and out popped this lady no more than a inch and a half under the dirt! I knew as soon as I saw the rim that it was going to be a old silver, but I had no idea HOW old! 1842, I couldn't believe it!

image1.JPG

This is by far the oldest coin I have found. It's not in the best shape, and is covered in this black residue, but she is beautiful, and a rare one out here!

Upvote 21

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely save! Ya know, I think the "banner" ought to have another consideration. How rare a find is in a certain locality.

Nice job!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is a very pretty lady:thumbsup:, Don't forget coin's stayed in circulation for many years, meaning it may of been lost in 1860, 1880, 1900, etc. :thumbsup:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver!!

Congrats on your oldest coin!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
NICE DIG! Grats to you..now go find the gold!

HH ALL

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful old coin. Congrats.

It's amazing when they're so close to the surface. I dug a 1787 NJ Copper a few weeks ago less than two inches down. I couldn't believe it.
Had someone been sitting there and put their hand down hard enough they may have found it. It really amazes me that these coins can sit there for SO long that close to the surface.

Makes you wonder what lurks farther below eh?? I would pound that spot if I were you.

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that looks like a nice coin. Great find. :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice old silver find!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty rare one out-anywhere!! Congrats on the sweet find!

-- Jeff --

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice!, a lot of seated popping up lately, congrats on yours!!!

great first!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live out here in the west same as you and I know how hard those older coins are to find! I have a 1840 and 1837 seated liberties dimes

OP
OP
Z

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful old coin. Congrats.

It's amazing when they're so close to the surface. I dug a 1787 NJ Copper a few weeks ago less than two inches down. I couldn't believe it.
Had someone been sitting there and put their hand down hard enogh they may have found it. It really amazes me that these coins can sit there for SO long that close to the surface.

Makes you wonder what lurks farther below eh?? I would pound that spot if I were you.

I actually went back, and found a 1878. It was only a few inches down too. The place is so incredibly trashy, that I know if I had a smaller coil I could probably pick up more. I am just hitting it slow, and digging practically everything. Places with coins this old are EXTREMELY rare around here!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! Stay on that spot until it beeps no more! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread