New Coil at The Brick House.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Brick house has produced 169 coins prior to yesterday. I hunted this site in 2 directions using the 11" DD Coil and dug all targets. I disc 1-25 and still find larger pieces of foil. The last time I went there using the 11" DD I did not hear anything. Thought I had picked it clean. Yesterday my 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil arrived. :hello2: I went back to the permission to see what else I could find. Not much left as you can see. In 2 hours I covered 30% of the yard. Dug 22 deep targets listening for whispers and iffy's. The coil does add some weight, so I broke out my old Army LBE and 2 bungee cords. It makes a perfect harness and made swinging the heavier set up very easy. I have 7 older local permissions I want to re-hunt with this bigger coil. I will be very busy this weekend. :headbang:

I used to be a clad junkie. Went all over a 50 mile radius cleaning out parks, schools and other public lands. Loved coming home with my nail apron full of clad. I am now satisfied with less coins per hunt, looking for quality over quantity. Only pulled 4 coins in 2 hours (8 cents) but am happy that they were a 1940 nickle and 3 wheats (1930,37, & 53). The 1930 wheat was at about 9.5 inches.

20150702_201940.jpg

20150702_164627[1].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the new coil and finds. Have a great 4th and I hope you clean up this weekend with your new toy.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Loco-Digger,

Please keep us posted on the new coil finds in the old permissions. I'm interested in purchasing a large coil for farm field (more depth and coverage) and beach (more coverage) work. Will certainly look into the 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil.

Regards,

Doc

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run the SEF 10x12 on my F70.

Considerably deeper than my 10 in concentric was...

I expected it to be chattier. It wasn't.

I like the 10x12 because it really isn't any harder to swing in woods and thickets.

Nice to have a first hand account of the 12x15.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very large coil for my minelab,and while it allows for deeper hunting it tires me out too fast.I hope you do well over the weekend. Happy 4th.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt.

I hear you on your different hunting technique. In the beginning it's great to pull piles of clad and cash 'em in.
As time goes on it's even better to go slow and bring home older, cooler finds.

I've been staying away from the schools and parks lately (not entirely but in general) in favor of older more interesting sites. I guess that's how we grow in this hobby.

Last edited:

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some peeps use there clad to purchase old coins,silver,and gold! Nice hunt!

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! We both used the the big coils today. I was using my Nel on the ATP and was doing okay til it started raining.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coil is a big and heavy. Have one on the E-trac. It has taken it's toll on the "tennis elbow" so we had to take a couple weeks off! It does definitely find them deep coins. Found a few in our old army base area (lots of sand) including some silver that was a good 10 inches deep. Your going to love it!!!!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like that it adds one more tool for finding all I can from permission sites. Just moving up from the F4 to the F75 LTD SE has re-opened sites that I pounded last season. Now with the addition of the large coil, I can swing less and cover the same ground. I plan on taking it out in the fields when they become available in the fall.

When hunting future permissions I will start with my 11" DD coil. This will allow me to pull most of the trash and coins. Instead of doing 2 directions with that coil, I will do the 2nd pass with the large coil.

Using the LBE with a couple bungee cords makes the coil very usable. Without the assistance the rig is too heavy to swing for long periods of time.
I went back to the "Brick House" today and did another 40% of the yard. Dug 24 targets, 22 were trash, 1 -1942 S (OD) nickle and another wheat penny (1941).

I was amazed that I pulled a lead shot that is 1/4" in diameter that was 9 inches deep using the 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nepa-Will installed a weed whacker harness on his detector when using the big coil and says it takes a lot of the strain off the arm. I think he said he bought his for just a few bucks on Amazon.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some peeps use there clad to purchase old coins,silver,and gold! Nice hunt!

I use my clad to for upgrades, fund repairs, and buy other needed supplies and accessories. I only collect the coins that I dig. I bought 13 coin folders that I use for my dug coin collection.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nepa-Will installed a weed whacker harness on his detector when using the big coil and says it takes a lot of the strain off the arm. I think he said he bought his for just a few bucks on Amazon.

Thanks OD, I will look into that. I am pretty happy how the bungee cord works with the Army surplus LBE though.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that coil is a monster!, should cover some ground quickly with that! good luck at your old sites!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok!!! Someone on here needs to patent and market a harness for us guys getting older.......just saying. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Loco!

I see you have the same affliction as me......"Can't sleep at night itis", directly caused by "I might have missed something syndrome" LOL! As you already know, I got a "new to me" T2 and have been practicing in a yard that I was recently granted permission to hunt, and I'm pretty confident that I'll be wanting to go back over that site with one or more of my other machines. Been doing a lot of thinking about time management lately, and felt compelled to share my thoughts with you. Do you realize that you found 99.976% of the coins at your site with your 11" coil. The remaining 4 coins you found account for less than one quarter of one percent (.0231%) of the total amount of coins found! But hey, been there done that, still doing it (going over same site multiple times)! Absolutely nothing wrong with going over a site multiple times, I'm all for it. I can't stand the thought of leaving something cool in the ground! Heck that .02% might include a twenty dollar gold piece, who knows! I have a new strategy, at least for myself. I think from here on out I should take the "once over" finds from a site (more than likely a very high percentage of total finds anyway), move directly on to a new site, and repeat. Going back to already hunted sites only when I have no new sites/permissions to hunt, or it is (due to time/distance/whatever) more practical to hit an already hunted site versus a new one. Sounds to me like a good strategy/plan for bettering my finds to time ratio. If only I can "stick to the plan man" LOL! Very cool finds you been pulling mister, dig on brother!

Edit to my post: after posting I realize that the percentages I gave are not accurate in regards to your site and number of times hunted. The percentages I posted are only good as to finds with your 11" coil versus your new 12x15 coil at your site, at this time. I apologize for rambling on about thoughts I probably should have started a completely seperate thread on. Anyway, I wish you continued success at the site you are currently working over, and all other future sites! HH Loco!

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the bigger coil!! And good luck with it!

US Men...We Like our new toys!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your new coil . Your off to a good start