Another Silver Ring Showed Up, a Cool Old Flashlight Part and Some Other Stuff.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit another park/sports field for part of the day today. I was picking up lots of clad but that wasn't really exciting me too much. So, I decided to hunt around a park bench where I picked up a few cool finds last year. The first hit I got was a solid 78, medium tone. On my machine that means either another Zincoln or a good shot at silver jewelry. I was not disappointed.

There was a ring all right but it's all bent and twisted. Oh well, it's silver and I am grateful that it appeared. One tiny piece of silver makes the whole day a good one.

Bent Up Silver Old Flashlight Cap and Other Stuff July 4 2015 001.JPG

I'm thinkin' someone sitting on the bench had their arm hanging over the back and it slipped off. No tellin' how it got all bent. Oh well, bent or not, it's still silver and it's ring # 28. I'm happy.

Everywhere I went today was a sloppy, muddy mess after all of this rain we've been having around here.
I decided that since it was already a mess, it was a good day to get wet and dirty. So, I put a Zip-Lock over my detector, hit an old swimming hole and just started wading, walking and hunting the banks and the shallow water.

As soon as I crossed the stream a bee stung me on my ear. I kept hunting.

I got a nice high "quarter" hit near a big tree. I was hoping it was an old silver (as usual) but instead I pulled this out of the ground:

Bent Up Silver Old Flashlight Cap and Other Stuff July 4 2015 002.JPG

It's the end cap of an old Ray-O-Vac 2 cell flashlight; made in the U.S.A. I think it's really cool.
I looked it up and it appears to be from about 1935 and is solid copper. It originally had a ring hanger.

It's in amazingly good shape for it's age and given the fact that it was buried for so long in deep, wet sand on the flood plain. No tellin' how far it may have traveled to where I found it.

I hunted for the rest of it but had no luck. The area just wasn't producing much; mostly trash. I'm going back when things dry out a bit. My machine sometimes gets a bit antsy in the wet sand and I may be missing targets.

I ended the day with a couple more bucks worth of clad, a really tiny yellow toy Monster car and a copper pipe fitting/cap of some kind.
By the time I made it home I was soaking wet, filthy, tired and content. I was invited to a neighborhood 4th of July party tonight but I'm too darn tired to go. I'll just stay here and post on T'Net instead.

Bent Up Silver Old Flashlight Cap and Other Stuff July 4 2015 003.JPG

Thanks for lookin' & Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 925 and Ray-O-VAC piece.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job on the ring!, nice pile of loot too!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
29 targets in the pic, plus trash, man you had a busy day.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
29 targets in the pic, plus trash, man you had a busy day.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

It WAS busy; and long and there was lots of trash; as usual.
I started around noon and hunted until dark. I took a short lunch break plus about a 1/2 hour traveling time.

It was a huge amount of work for what I brought home. Definitely won't be quitting the day job but I truly LOVE this hobby. It's like an obsession with me this time of year. My son texts me from time to time to make sure I'm still alive.

I gotta' get in as many hunts as possible before it gets cold again. It's like a race against time.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks.

It WAS busy; and long.
I started around noon and hunted until dark. I took a short lunch break plus traveling time.

It was a huge amount of work for what I brought home. Definitely won't be quitting the day job but I truly LOVE this hobby. It's like an obsession with me this time of year.
I gotta' get in as many hunts as possible before it gets cold again. It's like a race against time.

I feel the same. I hunt every weekend (both Sat & Sun) and maybe a couple hours after dinner on occasion, during the week.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel the same. I hunt every weekend (both Sat & Sun) and maybe a couple hours after dinner on occasion, during the week.

Yeah. Me too.
I just NEVER get tired of hunting treasure. It was raining a bit when I was out there today and I just kept on goin'. I was already soaked anyway.

We're some sick addicts aren't we?? Then again, I can certainly think of worse addictions. Plus this one pays you as you go along. At worst you get battery money and once in a while you hit something really amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 925 and Ray-O-VAC piece.

Here's a pic of the Ray-O-Vac cap as it once looked:

Ray O Vac Flashlight Circa 1935.jpg

The current value of the entire light in nice shape is around $20.00.

They sure don't make 'em like that anymore; at least, not in this country.

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GARRETT THAT END CAP IS NEAT I WONDER IF THE OTHER PART THE TUBE IS AROUND THERE SOME WHERE. LIKE THEY SAY OLDER IS BETTER.....

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver save there 424 ! The flashlight I had as a kid was chrome plated and had a end with a loop like that, they just don't make them like the used to eh :headbang: Keep on digging !

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds G424! I really like the little ring. Good show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread